Assistant Coach?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jun 10, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Joe Dumars said he wants a guy who can get respect the second he steps into the locker room. The 3 coaches I can see replacing Sidney Lowe are: Herb brown, Mike Woodson, or Terry Porter. Anyone have better ideas?
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

As much as I think Herb Brown would be a breath of fresh air to the organization it looks like Terry Porter is going to be the one (according to Rob Parker). If Flip falters we have a proven head coach to fill in for him.
  3. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Porter would be fine. He's not as much of a defensive coach as I'd prefer, but he has credibility, an independent voice, and the ability to replace Flip at any time.
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't also think we can get a guy much better than him. I know he was a good coach, but what are his strengths and weaknesses?
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Gotta be somebody in the mode of an Avery Johnson. A coach that the players respect & who possibly just hung up his jockstrap in the last 2-3 years.

When the Mavs hired the little general to coach they went away from the old recycled coaches formula and got somebody who had been in the trenches and had the players mentality and the Mavs players love him. it was a natural for him to move right from the assistant to the HC.

In other words if Flip-flops mid season or at then end of next season.....again, this guy has to be ready to step in. I know Porter hasn't pleyed in awhile, but his previous HC duties in Milwaukee qualifies him for a quick replacement.

I know Dantley has been toiling on the Nugget bench, but I am not sure of his coaching expertise. It would just be nice to have him back and possibly get that ring with the current Pistons that he just missed getting twice with the Bad Boys
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What's Michael Curry up to these days?
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:nono:
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Was Porter still at Portland when Sheed was there? Any issues there?
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I looked it up. Terry Porter was only a coach for the Milwaukee Bucks and no other team for 2 seasons. Porter was a Blazer player from 85-95 and Sheed was a blazer from 96-04.

So Sheed and Porter were not on the same team at the same time.
  10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree Dre. The difference with the Hiring of Avery Johnson in Dallas and the hiring of Porter in Detroit, (if it happens) Avery was hired to take over the head coaching position. Cuban and Nellie recognized the leadership qualities in the Little General and began to groom him immediately upon hiring him.

Don Nelson moved aside sooner than anyone anticipated and look at the success the Mav`s have experienced since.

Good call by Cuban and Nellie.

Having said that, is Joe D hiring Porter to take over for Flip after next year??????
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:laugh: not so quick Dlev. It's not even close to official yet that Porter will be even the assistant coach. He's only a candidate right now.
  12. Dlev59

Note: I said if it happens!!!!!!!!!
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

I still say Laimbeer.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know...'no NBA coaching experience'. At least he has 'some' coaching experience...AND a pro coaching title no less...to go with his playing titles...can you spell "WINNER"? He knows the Pistons inside-out and they all know him...and I think he already has their respect. Yeah...he pissed off everybody in the league when he was playing...but everyone in Detroit loves him.

I only see two downsides to him as assistant:

1) I'd miss his color commentary with Blaha.
    2) He'd intimidate Flipper.

Oh?...wait...I guess there is only one downside. :)
  14. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

What's in it for Bill?

I firmly believe that he would be unwilling to be an assistant. Maybe for a coach of LB's caliber - definitely not for one of Flip's.
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

I think he'd like to get back in THE game...it's his life. I don't believe he'd have any reservations to assisting the Pistons now...irregardless of who's head cheese. IMO...it's whether Joe wants to offer the position to him.

You're right...Bill would definitely miss hanging out in women's locker rooms :laugh:
  16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

is hubie brown up for coaching again? he seems to know the pistons game pretty well...:D
  17. Dlev59

Hubie would be a very good pick for an assistant head coach. He did a good job with Memphis (as head coach) before his health went bad.

His defensive strategy and all around knowledge would be a good compliment to Flips` passive adjustments, and outright stupidity.....:ohwell:
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:laugh::laugh:. I know for sure Lamb would do whatever he could to get these guys to rebound, score inside, and foul hard.
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:doh:I've done that about 5 times today.
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

:thumb: To Hubie... he's still got it mentally.

I'm not sure about Porter... honestly what makes him better than Laim or several other former players?... I guess it helps that he's been in the fire before.

Can someone explain the background with Flip & T.P.?