Assistant Coach?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jun 10, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

When did O'Brien coach the C's?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

That's another reason why Flip is destined to fail here. You can't coach in order to not get fired. If he's going to play his bench, it has to be his choice. Otherwise why keep him here?
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Rather have coaches that have been in the trenches... I just hope it doesn't become a headstrong battle.
    Which guy is just the bench coach with the clip board?
    I could see it possibly working out ok.
    Porter as the personal trainer working on improving individual skills and bridging the gap by giving the players perspective.... O'Brien as the hard nosed defensive minded coach and Flip working the offense... Flip would have to be opened to strong minded opinions.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If this pans out my look at next season will probably be more right. I only see next season as a championship season or one that ends ugly.

If Ben leaves it ends ugly.
    If Ben stays we're beck on the road to the championship.

If we get these 3 "head" coaches and they can't work together it will end ugly.
    If these 3 work together and use their strengths we'll be in great position to win a championship.

If the bench isn't played it will likely end bad
    If the bench is played we have backups who have had more game experience than last year to back up an injured player in the playoffs wich would help in a championship run.

If Ben leaves, we get 3 coaches who can't work together, and the starters are playing the whole game:puke:

If Ben stays and he and Flip work it out, if we get 3 coaches and they use their strengths and work together, and if the bench is developed we can possibly back to being:first:
  6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

O'Brien's team wasn't a league leader in rebounding or anything like that, but if you'll remember, it was O'Brien's Celtics that completely shut down Stackhouse and bounced us in what would later become known as the "5 game sweep". It was not a pretty sight and they notched up the hustle after a game 1 blowout and effectively ran us out of the playoffs.
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Okay, I remember a little bit more now. But, those Celts teams appeared to only play great defense in stretches. They were generally outscored by the opposition and got most of their momentum off of three point barages. The same Celts team that made Jerry "Forced Shot" Stackhouse invisible also got steam rolled by the New Jersey Nets. Not to mention that our offense was still very offensive (as in awful) back then. Again, I'm not sold on O'Brien being a really good defensive coach, but anything has to be a step up from what Flip brought to the table defensively. I will say that his teams did appear to hustle a little bit more during the playoffs, so I guess that could be promising.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We already have a good defensive team, but we know that the players can get full of themselves and not play their game. O'Brien is a better defensive coach than Flip so if Ben stays and Obrien comes we should become better defensively assuming Flip works with him.
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

in the papers it said o'brien was going to stay out of coaching for another year
  10. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

O'Brien did a lot with a little there, IMO.
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Remeber we still have this to worry about. Thanks a lot everyone:humble:it helps to let out everything you think instead of keeping it closed inside.

I'm out!
  12. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

For all the Flip-Ben conspiracy theorists:

"I think my relationship with Flip (Saunders) is pretty good. At times we bumped heads when we're out there on the floor, but that's a given. When you're out there trying to reach greatness, and try to do something special, you're going to have conflicts. I don't think there's anything wrong with conflicts. I think the way you sit down and get them resolved are the key. My relationship with Flip had nothing to do with my situation of me leaving, because since I've been here, every other year or every two years, we've been having different coaches, so how can I get along with five or six different coaches and not get along with Flip?"

Source: Detroit Free Press (Ben's Post Contract Interview)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060705/SPORTS05/607050394/1122
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nice read, thanks for that link. I guess I'm not a "flip conspirist", more of a Flip's system conspirist.

I want to believe that Ben saw more opportunity to play, and play "his Style" under Skiles.
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

As for the assistant coach, I think we need someone really, really tough. Someone to kick some ass and take some names. Get these guys motivated. Get these guys mad. Put the chip back on the shoulder, so to speak.
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm with you linwood. Who do you have in mind though?
  16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Thats were my plan needs help!
  17. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I don't believe very much of what Ben said there, but I found it comforting somehow anyways. Don't know why. I do think that if Flip was fired he'd still be here. It may or may not be personal, but what's important is that you can't really blame him for going where he can get a ring. Flip will never get one, and Ben doesn't have the time to wait for him to be fired.

About the former teammates were supportive for the most part'' line -- I am so curious who the non-supportive one was.
  18. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Supposedly Porter is close to signing. That's good news to me as I was very impressed with the work he did in Milwaukee in his short stint.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Apparently TP was sideline at the VSL.
  20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Are we putting too much emphasis on an assistant coach here folks? I mean, I am not discounting the importance of an assistant coach, however, he and the head coach must be on the same page and have the same goals and expectations for their players and the team.

It is quite obvious Flip is not a defensive minded coach. Will it cause a rfit between players and coaches if everyone is not on the same page?

Will players who don`t want to committ to playing D, only respond to Flip who seems to be lacking in defensive intensisty?