Assistant Coach?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jun 10, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't see the problem. If Porter can do things good that Flip can't they should work together. I hope that's how it turns out though.:fingerscr
  2. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

There is one potential silver lining. RC and LB were defensive minded coaches and Flip inherited a group of players who were trained and ingrained in a certain style of play ex. zone vs. man on man. With the departure of Ben Wallace maybe Flip's system, whatever that is, would be better accepted by the players.

I'm grasping at straws :)
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I hate zone.:mad:
  4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Having a defensive minded assistant coach will help but ultimately will mean nothing if the head coach doesn't get on board with penalizing players for lack of defense. (See Avery Johnson as assistant to Don Nelson). I think the true value in hiring a defensive minded assistant coach for us is that we would have a decent replacement to step in should Flip get fired midseason.
  5. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

i think flip will have a better relationship with the players now that he isn't battling with ben.. it was the players that lost in the playoffs. they couldn't score and just seemed to run out of gas. flip is getting blamed too much. besides you saw how larry brown turned out .. he was abusive towards his players . that has to be really tough to be yelled at in front of the media. i am glad he is gone. i wish flip a lot of sucess.
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

BINGO!!!!!:nod:
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't know too much about Terry Porter though. Is he a great defensive coach? I never thought he was.
  8. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Here is an old interview when Porter was coach of the Bucks. It tells about his coaching philosophies and even talks about Flip as a coach when Flip coached the Timberwolves...
    http://www.hoopshype.com/interviews/porter_woelfel.htm

Terry Porter on himself:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If someone was to ask you what your coaching style is, what would you tell them?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TP: I would say, he thinks he knows that defense is very important, so he's defensive-minded. Yet, he knows offensively there's got to be some structure but freedom for the players. Players nowadays need structure, but they also need freedom. There's not really a lot to my philosophy. In order to win in this league, you have to be able to defend and you have got to be able to score whether in the halfcourt or open court or combination of both.[/FONT]
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Thanks bezeach.:thumb:
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Sounds like Porter has a 'flip' mindset. He might be a good fit with Flip, but I'm not sure about the players. Transitioning a hard-nosed D team into a 'free your mind' O team seems like something only Zen Jackson could actually pull-off.

Joe!...HIRE LAIMBEER & MAHORN! This is DEEEETROIT!...not la-la land...
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Damn you now I want Phil Jackson on this team.
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

Better him than Flip :)
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:laugh: Shut up!
  14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:laugh:Sorry deteam I meant stop "typing".;)
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

No offense taken :)

It's only smoke & mirrors...BillD's to cheap to play [strike]B[/strike]-Zen's game.

Economically logical basketball for BillD points his Quiji finger at sticking with the D-centered program Joe layed out in the first place. Why Flip was hired?...I have no idea. The best thing BillD could do right now is follow the D path...for cheap! I will add...that's gotta make BillD's ears ring in agreement. Hire Laimbeer & Mahorn to catch Flip's turds...they'll be more than capable of filling Flip's shoes should worse-come-to-worse in the middle of next season...JMO
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

lamb would try to make us the tough team we used to be again.:ohwell:
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor