At Atlanta March 7th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Mar 2, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is where Curry makes me want to bang my head against the wall. We have them down, momentum's in our favor. AA just hit a 3 and is locking up Joe Johnson. What does Curry do? Bring Rip back in and to make sure he didn't screw it up enough, Hermann. Now it's close again . . .

AA hit that three and looked directly at the scorer's table.

edited to add; and there goes the lead.

2. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

There is something (maybe defensively) that MC doesnt like about affalo. He has just buried him on the bench.

3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I wish i knew what it was. This game seems fairly simple rotation wise. Max or Amir in at all times; AA on Joe Johnson; Hermann on no one, etc.

What should have been a comfortable lead is now a dogfight.

And as i say that Aaron fouls Johnson LOL.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Subtitle: Good Curry, Bad Curry

First, the non-sensical starting unit, featuring two old men getting punked out mightily by the Atlanta players on every play around the basket. Between Sheed and Dyess, no quickness. They are not getting the job done. Its not a lack of hustle or effort - they are simply too old and slow to do the job. Bad Curry.

Now the good Curry shows up. We get a plus 11 with logical units out there. And Herrmann not playing. Afflalo cans his first shot, a three. Atlanta is being virtually shutout. JMAX is playing power forward, giving us an actual power forward in the game.

Back to Bad Curry. Out goes Afflalo. Apparently, Curry hates great defense. I meam it riles him something fierce. Who knows why. In comes Herrmann. Defense goes all to heck. Lead goes back down to 2 in short order (from 10.)

To end the quarter, back to the non-sensical pairing of Sheed and Dyess. We end up just up 2 points.

Atlanta is a horrid team these past few months now. They hardly beat anyone that is any good. But our starters can't beat them? Should be a wake up call for Curry. But I but he is still sound asleep, missing everything in front of him. Will he ever notice what wins games?

Herrmann by the way did make a shot driving in from the right, and did get a couple of offensive rebounds that we converted into five points. (So even though his defense was, as always, non-existent, he was not totally bad. He did miss both his outside shots, the thing he is supposedly in the game for.)

5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

IMO the 4th/5th seeds should be avoided if ATL is the on the other side.

Amir/Max/AA playing big minutes are essential to this match-up and it's not going to happen. Our frontline as currently constituted doesn't work against ATL, and Curry's bad coaching cannot be overcome against them in a series.

edited to add;

basically i agree with the above post . . .

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Eli's an idiot interviewing Horford...saying it looks like a 4-5 playoff matchup

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Rasheed Wallace 36 min
    Antonio Mcdyess 35 min

Amir Johnson DNP

Maxiel 16 min

ATL has not beaten a good team in ages . . .

Coaching loss (and lost in the 2nd quarter IMO)

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As long as their twenty-something front line of Smith, Horford and Williams plays against our thirty-something Sheed and Dice, it will be a struggle to win and I agree, we should stick to where we are in the sixth spot and try our luck vs the Magic. I mean Horford and Smith absolutely killed us in the paint (Hawks won that battle 48-32..) Don't know if Amir would have made a difference or not, but he is not in Smith or Horford's league.

Second game in a row, we get 2 points from Hermamm and he probably gave up 6..just a guess...

Only 12 turnovers, but those two Rip in the last two minutes were probably the difference in the game.

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This is a continuation of my halftime report.

Curry did just a little better in the 2nd half. He did not play Herrmann.

Ok, thats the good. End of that.

He played old man Dyess just about the whole 2nd half. How clueless of a coach does it take to do that?

In the first half, we used Kwame there for a bit - and voila - we had a rested center, a power forward - JMAX, a couple of guards, and Tay playing small forward. It was the only time we did any good.

In contrast, in the 2nd half, instead of keeping Stuckey in when he brought Afflalo in, he went straight to Bynum. Nevermind the Stuckey / Afflalo pairing did so well in the first half. Success means nothing to Curry, so he had to switch it up in the 2nd half.

Next, sure, it was ok to have Sheed in there for those last few minutes of the 1st quarter - but he was visably tired at the end of the 3rd quarter, pretty much worthless. Then of course, it got worse as Dyess came back in with just a few minutes rest - bypassing Kwame's stint.

And of course, we end the game with a large dose of the Sheed / Dyess pairing. But this is way worse, with a completely wiped out pair of centers in there. We still had a shot at winning the game - on the strength of a pair of threes by Rip.

It continues to be a story. Curry's absolute refusal to address who to back up Tay with when a shorter guy does not work. Tonight, we see Rip and Afflalo take turns playing small forward for us in the 2nd half, still better than Herrmann there in the 1st half. Of course, Amir, a guy who could have been put in at small forward, got no minutes tonight.

Rip and Stuckey gave us plenty of scoring from the backcourt. Sheed scored some. Dyess maybe 2 or 4 points. Tay did some scoring. Very little bench scoring.

Curry's rotations make no sense. On top of that, he has no clue game to game what his rotation is going to look like. It was totally helter skelter tonight, showing no signs of ever stabilizing.

Meanwhile, I wonder how he is going to manage to blame this one on the players. It was not the players. It was, as always, Curry's decisions on who to play that lost the game. Our players can not make up for a coach who is not only clueless, but actually seems averse to anything that looks like it could win for us.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Curry just lost his bid to be coach of the month....

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

9 + 7 with no assists from Tay in 38 minutes, Rip a -9 and spellcheck with 3 points and 1 assist (the new Binary man) in 14 and a half minutes won't get it done.

You expect Kwame, Hermann to have a negligible impact, but too many other guys made too many crucial mistakes. Sheed, lousy shooting night, otherwise he didn't play a bad game.

Pistons could desperately use someone off the bench who can get to the line, score and give them some ballhandling because Amir, Max, Hermann, Kwame and Spellcheck don't scare anyone offensively, and Will Bynum is a hit and miss proposition right now.

This team has no 6th man, and desperately needs one. Anyone.

12. detteam

detteam All-Star

AI...? :behindsof

13. roscoe36

AI is the obvious answer. But I don't care who it is. AA is not effective or assertive enough offensively, Max and Amir can't really get their own shot, Hermann is shooting himself out of the NBA, Kwame is looking for his Mommy and Bynum is hit and miss. Ultimately, his lack of range is going to limit him against teams that already pack the paint against us.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Micro, I say you are conveniently ignoring the reality of this game, or simply did not watch this game, whichever. We got plenty from the bench, when Curry played a logical unit.

Our first couple of subs were Afflalo and JMAX. Atlanta only scored 2 buckets, and no free throws, over the next several minutes as our "bench" gained 11 points. Our "bench" was looking pretty darn good. Kwame was part of that too, starting the 2nd quarter and helping us continue that fine defensive performance.

Bynum came in, and we kept up the defensive pressure. Now we had 4 subs in, and we looked fine.

So Curry then decides to pull the plug - inserting Herrmann into the game. Our defense went down to nothing. Herrmann is so slow, its like we were trying to play D with 4 players. It does not work.

The logical move, simply have Rip come back in, since he sat after just playing 9 minutes and was fresh - and he did come back in by the way, while moving Afflalo to small forward. But no, Curry sat Afflalo, put Herrmann, who can't play small forward at all, in the game. Our bench rotation should have worked fine, but Curry threw a wrench in the works by playing Herrmann.

And then all he had to do was use the same rotation, including playing Kwame some, in the 2nd half. But instead, he changed it all up, used Dyess pretty much the whole 2nd half.

We have no lack of a bench at all, just a coach who does not know how to use it.

Even without AI, we have the best roster in the League. When AI returns, we will have a great bench, but still lose games because we are starting two old men side by side who will continue to lose game after game for us. It is not the roster, its Curry pairing Dyess and Sheed, and not seeing what most fans see - two old men, both fine centers, but prety horrid power forwards at their age.

15. roscoe36

Without AI, this might be one of the worst benches in the NBA right now.

Very few quality teams don't have at least one solid rotation player on their bench. Right now, the closest thing to that is Max.

As far as you constantly insinuating that people did not watch the game, or are too unintelligent to know what they observe, YES I AM A DUMMY, but I did watch the game. :P

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Well that didn't take long to get back to the Sheed/Dyess pairing and Amir not playing costing us games.

To me what hurt DET went like this:
    Turnovers - How Stuckey ended up with only 4 is beyond me. Mrs. S must have been scoring.
    Shooting - Lack of 3 point shooting specifically. If Tay hit 2 they probably win.
    Rebounding - Too many second chance points given up.

A tough loss, but they had their chances. A lot of small things over time added up to this loss.

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I believe you on both counts. lol

Since you did watch the game, and since you think our bench is so terrible, can you explain how our bench gained 11 points on the other team to end the 1st quarter and to start the 2nd quarter? Do you attribute it to just luck, or what? (Just to clarify, this is the period just before Herrmann entered the game. So you could also, if you have the time, tell me if you think our D dropped off any when Herrmann entered,and if you think Herrmann had anything to do with that.)

18. roscoe36

It's called a run lee. Basketball is a game of runs.

If our bench is so great, why did so many of them end up minus on the night? Walt was a -5, but Will is Ill was a -9. Somehow Will I Am managed to lose another 4 points without Walt.

Can you explain how any Piston could not be a + player when not playing with the +/- blackhole that is Walt Is At Fault? Is it possible that some players on our bench, suck both WITH and WITHOUT Walt?

I can't figure it out. When we lose, it is all Curry's fault. Except it is all Walt's fault. Except it is all Dice and Sheed's fault.

Honestly, I don't really care. We played basically the same lineup the last several games, and came away with wins. When we lose, suddenly the lineup is the problem

I suppose a broken clock is right twice a day.

19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm all for AI as the 6th man even though IMO that wasn't the problem this game, but the question has to be asked with AI playing would game be even this close enough for his scoring skills in tight games to be put to use ?

Stuck was having defensive trouble most of the game. Add another guy who would be equal/if not worse . . .

It probably mainly depends on the minutes.

IMO, this game would have been won on defense alone had we went with the right line-up and continued the run in the second quarter. Curry has the Flip tendency to panic and automatically throw someone in who can "score" not realizing that not only does defense lead to offense but it wins games.

This game was easily winnable with the personnel we have. It just wasn't used properly, and that's frustrating.

There is no reason Amir should see a DNP against this frontline. No reason Kwame should be playing, and no reason we should be trying to match their young frontline with a 30+ one for that much of the game.

Just because Dice/Sheed worked in other games doesn't mean it's our end all and only option. Curry has to get that. We have a flexible roster, but a coach who's all over the place.

edited to add;
    The line-up has been a problem in every single game. It has led to disappearing leads in the BOS game, etc. Just because we got away with winning those games doesn't mean the problem disappears. After the BOS game, i think everyone was on the same page that Hermann would never have a scoring output like that on a consistent basis to make up for his flaws, and that we were getting favorable match-ups for our frontcourt. People are saying the same things win or lose.

20. roscoe36

Maybe on some other forums.