At Boston Celtics March 1st, 1:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 26, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That made me laugh.
  2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Thank you. I thought Hermann played tremendous defense on Pierce and later Eddie House; definitely not a factor in the game almost slipping away. Let's put him on Lebron next time! :thumb[1]:

<i couldn't resist. Now i'm done commenting on it>
  3. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Huh! 2 games against top conference opponents on the road, 2 wins without Iverson.
    Whodathought???
  4. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

GO PISTONS!!!

THIS IS THE TYPE OF BASKETBALL THEY SHOULD BE PLAYING!

:winner_first_h4h: :winner_first_h4h: :winner_first_h4h: :winner_first_h4h: :winner_first_h4h: :winner_first_h4h: :winner_first_h4h: :winner_first_h4h: :winner_first_h4h: :winner_first_h4h:
  5. Latinoking90

Please, let's not make this another Rip vs AI thread.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:dizzy2::bigeyes::tinfoil3::nerd2::faint2:
  7. Latinoking90

The Starbury cancer is taking effect!!!!
  8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I figured we'd win this won and I'm glad we did. During the game I found myself caring a bit: slightly more happy when we'd make some good plays, slightly more frustrated when we messed up. So this is nice. It was hard for me not to keep thinking: no KG, no KG. But it is what it is, KG or no.

But I'll be honest. I think I'm gunshy. Afraid of being taken in again. I posted a similar thing in the "sandbagging" thread. Are these the "old" Pistons? Well, I already know what they can do and it's not enough, not anymore. I'm not saying these ARE the old Pistons, just that this is what I'm afraid of: that we (and by we I mean EVERYONE) will be so happy to stop the bleeding that we'll forget that we made changes because the old Pistons weren't enough. Maybe it's a silly thing to be afraid of. But I really don't want to go backward.

I'd like to see more Afflalo, Maxiell, and Amir (even Bynum and Herrman -- I know, I said it), not because I think they are crucial to our winning games this season, not even because I think their development is crucial to our long term success, and not even because I want to be able to evaluate them. It'd like to see more of them because they are fast, they hustle, and it's fun to watch them learn and to develop a relationship with them. I don't mind seeing Sheed hit fadeaways on the block, or Dyess hit pick and pops, or Rip score off screens. That's fine. But, it is predictable and we already know it's not enough to win it all. The young guys aren't enough to win it all either, in my opinion: not now for sure, and probably not in the future either. But I sure dig their energy.

Maybe when AI comes back from his injury, I'll get the best of both worlds: the predictable familiarity of the starting core of "old" Pistons, and a fast, hustling, running energetic second unit playing in ways that are somewhat unpredictable, less structured, and certainly less familiar to me.

Anyway, go Pistons.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I just hope this game gets repeated. I coudn't TIVO because we were winning and i didn't want upset the delicate karmic balance. And i could watch mid 4th quarter and on about 7 times. LOL
  10. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

11. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I am sure someone has mentioned this but it looks like this team is more coachable minus 1 SG. For the haters: the celts win w/out KG, ITS OK...Detroit wins w/out KG and its not a good win? Have we learned nothing this season?
  12. roscoe36

Tell the Low to hold a space for you next show. We'd love to get a piece of your mind on the podshow NY. :)
  13. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

The Pistons proved me wrong! I hope this lasts......

:beer:
  14. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Some quotes I pulled from the recap on ESPN.com

"The Detroit Pistons are back to their old mainstays and back to their old, winning ways."

"You can tell they're playing the system they played before Iverson got there," said Celtics forward Paul Pierce, who scored 26. "When Iverson is out there they're still trying to figure out how to use each other, how to all be successful. But that group that's out there is definitely comfortable because they've played together for years."

"We played our type of basketball," he [Hamilton] said. "That's the thing for me with Tayshaun, Rasheed (Wallace) and (Antonio) McDyess, I always know they're going to be at all times."

"This is the old Pistons we're playing now," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. "The ball is hopping. They're playing together."

Judging from these quotations, it looks like we've got our old team back; you know the one that put together a string of 7 50 + win regular season records, 6 straight ECF appearances, numerous all-star appearances... oh yeah, and, uh, 1 title. Sweet.

I find this backward running bandwagon ass-catting really disturbing.

Why are our only two options (a) sucking with new players/coaches/combinations or (b) being excellent with old players/plays but falling short when it matters??
  15. roscoe36

PISTONS: Postgame Quotes - March 1, 2009

Pistons Head Coach Michael Curry
    On Playing complete game:
    “It’s kind of what we have been seeing with the guys and we just hadn’t done it for a complete game. We had a couple of stretches where they made some shots and we lost 7 and 8 point leads a couple of times but I thought the way we were focused defensively and I thought the way we shared the basketball on the offensive end was good. We didn’t stay on one side of the floor. The guys were moving the ball, willing to pass it, and we took care of the basketball.”

On Walter’s play:
    “If we play Walter Hermann and Tayshaun Prince together we would be able to post two guards and so that’s how it goes with playing those two together. If they put the smaller guy on Walter then he is a capable scorer down on the block. He can be a big contributor for us and we played off him down there. He helped spread the floor for us offensively.”

“We have shown stretches of it and whatever the reason is we haven’t done it consistently enough. We play our best basketball when we have guys out. When we were on the west coast trip we had Richard Hamilton out and then we had Rasheed Wallace out for most of the trip. We have also been without Allen Iverson really the last three games and when we have all of our components we still have to figure out a way to play the way we have played the last three games.”

On Iverson returning:
    “We just have to play the same way and he has to play that way. We will play him in different rolls. I still like playing Tayshaun and Walter a lot together at the 2 and the 3. Maybe Iverson can come in and spend some time in Will Bynum’s spot.”

“We have to find a way against this team to rebound better. They got strong legged guys and they may not have high jumpers but they get in the paint and they are hard to root out of the paint. Max’s activity on the pick and rolls and his defense was really good. Will’s pressure up the floor was great.”

“We tried to limit their three point opportunities but at the same time make the game difficult for Ray and Paul. So many plays are made through having to double them off pick and rolls. We also did a great job on Rondo and I think he is the one that usually makes all the plays. Containing Rondo better tonight gave us a great chance to win.”

Pistons Guard Richard Hamilton
    “I wasn’t surprised, I thought we were focused, shared the ball, made easy plays. I thought that was the key. We had like 22 assists and 6 turnovers so I thought that was key for us tonight.”

“Like I said, we cheer for everybody on our team. When Walt got in, he made plays…we went at it regardless who had the hot hand. He made a couple shots and that’s just how much confidence we got in our guys. Will came in, did an excellent job on the defensive end and making plays at the basket.”

On Iverson fitting in:
    “Not at all, I think he’s going to fit right in. It’s a tough role for him because I know it was a tough role for me. So, I think he will be great…like I said we’re going to cheer for everybody and do everything possible to win games.”

On 2 wins in a row:
    “Like I said, we got 2 games. Two tough road games. I think that we just have to build of this. I think guys play with a lot of energy, came out did everything on both ends of the floor to get a win and I thought that was great for us.”

On Next game vs. Billups:
    “It’s going to be fun, it’s going to be exciting. I didn’t get a chance to play the first game. I wanted to come back that game, but I didn’t but it’s going to be fun. It’s going to be exciting, I think the fans will love it. They’ll be happy to see that game so I think it’s going to be exciting.”

Pistons Forward Walter Herrmann
    On getting more shots:
    “ It feels so comfortable when you make your shots...you want the ball all the time. The team was playing to win but I started making my shots.”

On winning last 2 games:
    “To us, we try to play really good because two weeks ago we play really really bad. So, our last 3 games maybe we started to play really good…we need to play like this if we want to get the ring.”

On sporadic playing time:
    “You need to be ready all the time…we are professionals. You really don’t know what will happen. I tried to be there.”
  16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Good game to evaluate this Piston team. With the offense back, the Pistons can compete. Maybe not at a level of year's past because the team is not as strong defensively. The biggest problem is that Dyss and Sheed can be pushed around now some due to age and the Pistons don't have young bigs who can take up the slack enough. Maxiel and Kwame had a combined three boards in 26 combined minutes. That will not get it done in the long run. And of course, Hermann does not rebound. To Maxiel's credit, he hit his free throws making some nice plays. But Davis already has a jumper and plays with a bit more force. And Davis is sort of average.

Hermann filled the role that the offense desperately needs--someone to spread the floor but I do not have confidence in his overall game. It is a glaring problem on the team. But look how the Pistons sealed the game--with the three ball. No three ball and you cannot win much at all in the NBA. Tay did the one thing that he does best but is never asked to do: hit the spot up jumper.
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

ME!!! WHODAYA THINK???:bow1:
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

He should be taking much more of those, and i don't understand why we don't use him as 3 point threat. His set shot especially from the corners is pretty damn good.

I definitely see the lack of 3 point shooting hurting us. It really is a struggle to essentially only have Sheed. Tay could alleviate some of the pressure.
  19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

During this season Pistons have been killed by 3pt marksmen from other side numerous times. It was sweet revenge...finally.

I hop that AI's agent do not take it too offensively when he witnesses with his own eyes that his allstar client has been REALLY benched. :dizzy2::bigeyes::brick:
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

No one covers Tay like Tay.

Amongst Curry's more curious moves was going with Max at the end, but it worked. Overall I thought he really hurt them. Nice free throwing young fella though.

Bynum did what Bynum does. Nice game.

Herrrman would have been a lot more effective if he could stay inbounds.

Defensive boards hurt them, but it's tough move them out when you have to focus on their 1, 2 and 3. BOS is a good team.

Nice win though.