At Boston Nov 20 8PM

Discussion in 'November 2008' started by max, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Please do, if you make to Stoney and Wojo, maybe it will break up the Lions talk.
  2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think Curry sucks. I just think he needs to figure out how to inspire these guys not to get pushed around. Roscoe has been right from day one...these guys can't take a punch. It doesn't even seem to bother them. I would at least expect these guys to get angry...get a tech...get tossed out, but for the love of God, fight back!
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Like I have said in other threads, even after Dice comes back at least one or two of these three players (Rip, Max and Amir), need to be traded for some tough beef...or course I have to stop here because at the moment I have no clue whom that should be, but even though it is early and they have .666 winning pct, something is amiss here. So far we are making Doc Rivers one of the greatest coaches of all time (the Lakers helped too) and setting up Rondo for the all-star game.

The scoring is up, but the defense has dropped from # 1 to #13 and Curry seems to have no clue how to get his players to play it on a consistent basis. They shut down the Lakers, but tonight there was no baseline cutoffs and they got caught leaving to many men wide open for three point ops.

Two other issues have popped up since the Laker win, Tay has gone soft again and Stuckey has lost his cohesiveness. Neither has been consistent since Leaving LA. :ohwell::messer::(
  4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Amir may be quick but wiser ballers draw three fouls in three minutes from him. Do you really expect 35 something old Sheed banging with true centers through the season 35 minutes per game?
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Very strange +/- divergence between Sheed and Kwame tonight. Since they both started, you'd expect some correlation, but Sheed was -28 and KB was + 2. So, a 30 point difference in the time when they were separated.

A big part of that was Sheed being out with Stuckey, who was -22 in only 15 minutes.

Don't want to keep harping on the guy, but the Celtics didn't let anybody get to the rim, and that takes away Stuck's entire game. 5 turnovers, 3 fouls, and a couple clunky J's.

Their D wasn't just affecting Stuck obviously, as most of our shots were forced/ rushed. Sheed hit some really difficult 3's that kept us close early. But this would have been a nice game to have a big man with shooting range coming off the bench. If you don't have Shaq or Amare on your team, then you gotta make contested jump shots against Boston.

They are good and sort of own us now.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

DET really doesn't seem to know what to do on offense against BOS.

Almost from the get go you could see Prince would have trouble bringing the ball up against Pierce.

It may not be possible to consistently (or ever) beat the C's as long as the TGRH and Tay are out there. They constantly go into pressure, stop and upfake their way into turnovers. Nice job Tay having your move and shot called "kinda week" by the 65 year old color commentator.

Pierce has hardly played in either of the games.

Leon Powe is miles better than any Piston big not named Sheed.

Stuckey was a total 0.

Maybe Herrrrrrrman should play against the C's. He's at least got the size to get inside and withstand some hits. Is their D going to get worse?

I'll tell you what, you put Amir in BOS with a bunch of scrubs on the floor and the sky is the limit for that young man. There have probably only been 20-25 better 6'9 205 lb PF's in the history of the NBA.
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Marcus Camby, Alonzo Mourning, heck, Ben Wallace, where art thou?

We need a tough, clog the paint, take no prisoners BIG man.
  8. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Well against Boston, AI makes us worse. And I'm an AI kool-aid drinker

Rondo gets the best of him on offense, that says it all. AI's defense is a joke and we don't know where to hide him against this team. And who the **** is guarding Tony ****ing Allen?

I miss out bench LAST year.

Curry has no idea what the **** he's doing beyond the 1st quarter. He needs to learn, and learn FAST.

I'm sorry, but there's something SERIOUSLY wrong if you get your ass handed to you in the second quarter, and *****ing the bed in the third after having a whole halftime to adjust!

Lets hope that Cleveland beats them in the Offs. Have you noticed that the Big Three didn't even go off? It's only gonna get worse against them.

And now we have three days to soak this bull **** in before the next game? Show some damn heart.
  9. max

max All-Star

And we dominated them last year? 1-2 season, 2-4 playoffs *cough*.

Seemed like everyone was a step behind in everything and you are not going to beat too many teams with 80 points. poor ball movement, poor shooting, lack of bench production. Stucky and Afflalo did not score a single point between them.

You have be able to knock down some of those outside shots Bos gives you to open up the defense, Pistons could not hit the side of a barn for the most part. Only positive was at least Bos did not dominate the offensive glass.

Oh well, it was a tough stretch in the schedule and now the team comes home for a string of games. They did better than most predicted. At least Maxiel showed up to play.
  10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We looked bad because we don't really have a system in place at either end. New coach, key player and playing the youth whose game swings up and down. The Celtics play within their system like we used to do. We will not beat them until we have some continuity in how we are going to play.

Other observations: we may have to conclude at some point that our youth is not as good as we think they are. I was big on Stuckey but he has been figured out by the league. He cannot rely on a jumper to open things up. None of our youth are great shooters. Maxiel's shot is an adventure, etc. It is hard to say for sure because everyone looks bad when a system breaks down.

Dyss will not be enough to change the situation entirely. We will win a lot of games but we cannot get over the top without developing offensive and defensive continuity. And, we have to figure out fast if the youth will be able to help us.

Rip is lost because he is not getting the ball where he has in the past. Tay was disappointing today. I can excuse a Le Bron game, but he did not handle the ball well. Against Boston, he probably should be shooting spot up threes on passes from AI as Boston packs in the lane.
  11. The Palace Artest

completely agree lapiston. every fanbase overhypes their youth. Stuckey will never be a Wade, and Amir will never be a star player. Afflalo is true NBA material but will probably settle to be another Battier.

Rodney Stuckey's defense is such garbage. That second quarter boggles my mind.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Keep in mind that Boston is really good, they were at home, and they get up to play against us.

Good defense is frustrating to play against. It's sort of like when all those teams were constantly whining that they were having off nights when they'd play against us in '04. After a while, you have to conclude that the other team is just making things tough.

Boston is tall, strong, and skilled.

As the season goes on and we are beating the average teams of the league, we have to keep in mind that Boston will be our opponent in the playoffs if we don't lose sooner.

It is pretty obvious that we aren't going to be a better defensive team than Boston. We'll be good, but we're not going to be suffocating. So, our only real hope is that the AI merger will yield significant further offensive benefits.

Like Lap said, they have a system. The question is, can we develop a strategy to crack it? We have all year to figure it out.
  13. max

max All-Star

How many games has be played that bad?
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lakers, Suns, Cavs Celtics...that was the tough stretch we wondered about and the Pistons split the four games. 7 of the first 10 games on the road and they took 5 of those. I guess we are in good shape at 8-4 and now four home games vs four teams we should beat (T-wolves, Knicks, Bucs and Blazers)...if the D, the friendly hoops and the crowd shows up...in essence the question is what Piston team shows up.

We could be 12-4 at the end of December and still questioning if we have any identity or toughness to really beat Boston this season or post season. :redface:
  15. max

max All-Star

The road out of the East no longer goes through the Pistons. Hard to get used to that.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It goes over us.
  17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We're supposed to be really good too, we got smoked at home against them as well, why can't we get up to play against them?

We just don't match-up well against them.
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Agree with you all. We could win a lot of games but it looks like we do not have Boston in our sights. Yes, that does hurt. I really don't think Boston is great but we are not going to beat them with a collection of individuals. Any clues as to what we can do? I don't think Dyss is enough...

I guess just have fun with this team most of the time...
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We're not as good defensively.

Also, nobody really matches up well against them.

I'm honestly not sure that there is anything we can do except try to get more cohesive and hope that we peak in the playoffs.

I can't help but to think that Boston's dominance and other strong competition led Joe to go for the stealth rebuild with AI's expiring contract.
  20. The Palace Artest

Truth is that we're not tough anymore. Haven't been tough in over two and a half calender years. This is a lightweight team that's going to have to depend on being incredibly fortunate in the jumpshooting department. That never ever lasts.

Can't wait for Boozer. Turns out that his HORRIBLE second half last year was an aberration and he's back to being a bruiser.