At Cleveland April 18 3:00PM Round 1 Game 1

Discussion in '2009 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 16, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How is Cleveland 39-2 at home? And this has nothing to do with the refs????? It's all just that they get home cooked meals and not home cooked calls?

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I forgot if it was on this board or where i read it, but there was some stat saying that in 50 games or something like that Lebron has been called for 1 foul (or 2 or under).

I think that answers the question.

3. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Utah's is even more ridiculous. They beat only one road team over .500 all year.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, he must have perfect footwork, his hands tied behind his back, and avoids looking the refs in the eyes.

5. max

max All-Star

Whatever works to to rally everyone together. One thing all championship teams have in common is that everyone is on the same page. You can't have any players stepping out and doing their own thing.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dennis Rodman may be the only exception to that rule.

7. max

max All-Star

He may have been different but he did what he was asked to do.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

10. slowfall

slowfall First Round Draft Pick

The same espn that's been saying for months "NO ONE WANTS TO FACE DETROIT IN THE 1st ROUND"

11. slowfall

slowfall First Round Draft Pick

Pistons by 4...

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

One advantage the Pistons do have is that there are two off days (Sunday and Monday) between the first two games. This means Curry can play Herrmann extended minutes in Game #1 without worrying about the negative consequences in Game #2.

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

That's what's wrong with the NBA...everybody's hugging each other and whispering in their ear, "Nice contract man."

I long for the ole days when the teams & the guys didn't like each other and shook hands just for polite appearance.

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sometimes, they kissed.

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LOL, Worthy is like "WTF"?????

[​IMG]

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Worthy is more like, "Where is my kiss?"

17. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Funny, but i am actually excited now for tonights game (must be the masochistic part in myself, lol).
    The excitement will probably last till the first 5 min of the game but still.

Go Pistons.

18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or just not play any defense other than the third man over who blocks the shot from behind and then flexes about it.

In some ways this series will be about the character of this team in ways that none of the others have. I don't think there is any option for this bunch to return next year in anywhere near the same form. So the only real question is how gently they will choose to go into that good night.

Because it is a choice. They can put up a facade, maybe win a game at home, maybe just get close in one, prove that '04 was indeed a fluke, and quietly fade off into obscurity, holders of the also-ran record that no one will ever remember. Or they can get out of their heads and just play and make it interesting. I still don't know if they can win, but they can walk away, heads high with a little of the old swagger.

For too many years this team thought it was too good to scratch and claw to gain any advantage possible - to do the things that cause champions to be champions. They cruised and didn't bother with the dirty work because they thought it was beneath them. And we all know exactly how far a boatload of talent and that attitude will get you.

Did they lose to Miami and Cleveland and Boston because they were the less talented team? No, they lost in two of those three because the refs favored a player who choose to fight, to expend the effort required to win, to lay it all on the floor without worrying about whether they would look pretty doing it. They lost because they choose to be affronted by the calls rather than choosing to fight back. And if they had fought back those calls would have dried up.

Make no mistake about it. It is a choice. Call it the switch, call it whatever you want. It's about looking in the mirror and deciding that you will do whatever it takes not to lose, all the while knowing that might not be enough. And more importantly, knowing that you just don't care as long as you can look in the mirror tomorrow.

I hope this team chooses to play this out with their heads high. Held high from the shoulders, and not drawn up by noses that stick into the air. That team can wake up on the day after and feel proud, not to be winners or losers, but to have played the game, dare I say it, the right way. In the end, can any of us hope for anything else?

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I don't think any of it has much to do with '04 anymore. There are only 3 guys left from that team.

20. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

I agree, this will be the last time they will play as the team they are now. There is a huge possibility that most of the players will be gone at the start of next season due to free agency or trade. The team that has been the last couple of years (Sheed, Rip, Tay, Dice and the young guys Arron, Amir, Max and Stuckey) will end after these playoffs.
    I am curious to see if they end it with some pride.