At Cleveland Oct 11 7PM

Discussion in 'October 2007' started by max, Oct 9, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

At Cleveland Oct 11 7PM

tv: 20

This one will be on local tv.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

And chat will be open. :)

3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks NBA League Pass!

.....Thanks for NOTHING.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's not going to be on?

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

No, but rejoice! You'll get to watch the Hornets/Pacers game!

7. max

max All-Star

It is being shown locally in the Detroit area. Remember its a 7:00 start time. Well, more like 7:07 or whatever.

8. roscoe36

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Minutes: 26 for Rip. In a meaningless preseason game. Mejia again got no minutes. (Just 3 last game.) No Samb either. The second preseason game, and already thinning out the rotation? This game meant nothing. Oh well, here is what I saw:

Our top 4 guys all did fine, Rip, Billups, Sheed, Tay. But our starters could not outplay Cleveland. Dyess is that bad. He made one of several outside shots, not one of which should have been taken. These shots absolutely do not help the team, ruin our offensive flow, and setup running ops for the other team. Plus Dyess was poor on D. It amazed me when Blaha announced the plan was to have Dyess start all season. Who cares if he earns it or not. This team ain't about earning minutes. More like negotiations take place between Flip and Dumars to force Flip to play the rooks. But at a price.

Sorry, back to the game. Had to get that anger out over Dyess mucking up an otherwise perfectly good starting unit.

Why did we get a lead in the first half. Because for a while, we put Maxiell and Sheed in together, the two guys who are suppose to be starting for us in the bigs position. Two solid, very active defenders. Further, both Stuckey and Afflalo were brought in together in the first half, so we had both a strong backcourt defensively and a strong front court defensively. and of course, Afflalo was helping Stuckey bring the ball up.

Contrast that to the 2nd half. Rip stayed out there into the 4th quarter, and was no help to Stuckey in the ball handling department. Sheed and JMAX never played a moment together. And factor in a very weak player to begin with was both weak and out of gas int the 2nd half. Mohammed played more than he is capable of. Notice, we could not score, nor stop the other team from scoring, until Mohammed had that minor injury - a kick to the back of the leg. All the sudden, even with Dupree in, we were competitive again and made a game of it. Now, Dupree should not be on the team, in my opinion, but I think he is still much more of a basketball player vs. Mohammed.

Mohammed turned around from the post and hit a jumper over Marshall. Sorry, not impressed. Marshall long ago lost his ups. Mohammed also hit a short jumper from the left. Nice assist there. He also got a nice offensive board but ruined it with a very weak shot attempt that came up short. On defense, as usual immobile. Mohammed does have the strength and size to stop someone who chooses to challenge him while stationary. Problem is, Mohammed could never play in a playoff series, as any coach would soon realize that all you have to do with Mohammed is move. Mohammed will not catch up with the play.

Through much of the game, Cleveland only had one bucket off turns. (Blaha kept saying zero but apparently forgot the very early bucket Cleveland got off our turn). Pretty good stuff from Billups and our rooks. When Afflalo finally got into the game somewhat into the 4th quarter, Cleveland had major momentum going. With a bit more pressure, the rooks turned the ball over a bit more, especially Stuckey. The two did show some moxy late, making some plays on D and O. It looked like we had it in regulation, but Afflalo missed that 2nd free throw which would have put us up 3 with little time on the clock.

Stuckey made some free throws, got to the basket well here and there. No outside shots made though. Afflalo also made free throws, shot ok, but only one outside shot of several.

Maxiell is not hitting his outside jumpers. He absolutely should be starting, as I believe that would help a lot. Not enough rebounds tonight for JMAX. A putback dunk was his best highlight, or maybe the dunk on the assist from Stuckey.

Flip Murray did not play, nor Hunter. And I will expound on that a bit. It was very refreshing to see Stuckey and Afflalo come in together in the first half. Our bench gave us quite a boost there, and it all started with competent ball handling from our guards. (In contrast to the 2nd half when Rip stayed in with Stuckey for quite a bit.)

Hayes played a lot. Lot of shots. Looked pretty good sometimes. But the more I watch him, the more I miss seeing Mejia in there, a much more active defender. Hayes maybe looks better as a power forward, just like Washington saw him last year.

The one time I liked Dyess in this game was his score inside on a semi-fast break. Dyess can score inside. If he does not, he is useless to this team. Someone please get him the message.

No Amir, as the ankle is still bothering him.

Sheed got a bit heated, in a meaningless game. Cool it. Its time to develop the rooks, don't put the focus on you. No time for it now. GO PISTONS!!!!!

10. roscoe36

Thanks for the leecap lee!

Early on, it was too much Blaha and not enough Brahma!

Pistons played well until the 3rd, the starters let the lead slip and the kids couldn't keep up. Overtime was a slaughter.

Ronald Dupree has no business playing in these games. Let Sammy Mejia show his stuff. Dupree's jumpshot makes Ben Wallace look like Ray Allen.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thansk for the leecap Mr. 357. I am now glad I didn't have to witness the second half...41 points in second half and OT reminded me of the last six games the Pistons played vs the Cavs..

Time to push Dupree to end of the bench or waive him and give Meija some runtime. if Nazr is hurt for a couple days, give Samb some burn.

12. nenerojer

nenerojer First Round Draft Pick

Thanks for recap...Dupre in any italian team not even play one minutes..i agree JM and Sheed togheter on starting five

ciao great friend Roscoe:)and hello to all

PISTONS FOREVER

Sorry for my english

13. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

From the boxscore of the 2 pre season games so far, Sheed is a fouling machine with limited minutes. Is the 'center' position hurting him more? 2 games, 10 fouls and 1 ejection. Wonder what will happen when the actual season starts. Hope the coaches and JD realize this.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm trying not to be pessimistic as i know it's only preseason, but these are precisely the things that will make it so we never get anywhere (and why Flip is incompetant). It's not the personal that's the problem. Our coach doesn't value defense and can't (or won't) stop riding the starters. I feel like i'm having deja vu every postseason.

Great Recap BTW.

15. max

max All-Star

It is dissapointing but its only a pre-season game. Pistons had 3 players with 5 fouls in limited mins Sheed, Maxiel, Hayes. Second game in which Sheed had 5 fouls. Even Lebran James would have had foul trouble if this was a real game with 3 in 25 mins. Refs seem to be calling everything on everyone. Not sure if they are trying to feel it out after the ref scandle.

Stucky and Afflalo had 5 and 4 Turnovers respectivly. Thats nearly as much as the Pistons avg for an entire game. In the 1st half the Pistons enjoyed a huge TO margin which they converted into 18 extra points. One of the differences between the halfs. Pistons also could not hit a shot from the mid 3rd to about the mid 4th quarter.

Cavs Daniel Gibson who had that miracle game 6 against us had 7 turns to 3 assists and only scored 6.

NBA.com: Pistons at Cavaliers Boxscore

16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well, if you were to judge how our new guys will play this season based on a single game, then monday and yesterday would lead you to two completely different conclusions.

afflalo and stuckey had their moments, but also their fair share of mistakes. they didn't play poorly, especially for their 1st taste on the road, and there were flashes of excellence along the way. but more often than not, they forced situations that weren't favorable.

afflalo still played hard, although without as many sharp cuts on offense, and was doing well with on-ball defending. however he tried to force himself in the lane a few times and turned it over.

i can basically say the same about stuckey - i think he learned tonight that you can't always blindly drive the lane, because the NBA does have guys who are tall and can block your shot. but to his credit he didn't give up on his game or let that prevent him from doing it later in the game and succeeding. he'll have to learn to take care of the ball better. he also dribbled a little too much in place, but at the same time no one on offense was moving around all that well.

maxiell didn't have a great game. he missed his jumpers, wasn't in position for rebounds, and tried to go for too many blocks on defense instead of playing more solid D. at the end of regulation his man was the one who beat him with a cut to the basket, forcing max to foul, which sent the game to overtime. now, it did look like a clean block instead of a foul, but he shouldn't have gotten beat like that in the 1st place.

dupree is just never going to make it on this team. he can't shoot, and hayes gives us everything dupree can, and everything he can't. speaking of hayes, he had a decent game, including a very nice block on lebron. he's a physical guy who again isn't afraid to post up, get down low, and go for rebounds. he still took a couple ill-advised shots, but i think his defense is fine and he'll be able to back up tay. he also had 2-3 shots that were basically down and then popped back out.

nazr played well. he had a couple turnovers, but made the shots he was supposed to make, had a couple blocks, a steal, and even a nice no-look pass in the post to get hayes an easy basket.

the rest of the starters were fine; mcdyess didn't have a great game, but he wasn't terrible either. he only grabbed a couple boards and missed some shots, but played good D and didn't hurt the team when he was on the court.

so overall, this game was a learning experience for the rookies. they played well and helped build a lead in the 1st half, and showed flashes of brilliance. they made mistakes that are good to learn now. they're smart players and should figure it out quickly.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Interesting observation. These are not heavily contested games either.

18. max

max All-Star

I don't think anyone was judging the rookies from this one game. Just writting down what was observed.

19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    There are too many games ahead to make any kind of judgement.

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

max if you were referring to me, i didn't say you or anyone else was judging the rooks, that was just a lead-in to my post :) i was simply saying that if someone *was* going to judge based on a game, then watching monday vs. thursday would bring you to completely different conclusions.

i forgot to mention that stuckey had a nice move early in the game that demonstrated he can adjust and learn. he drove to the basket hard and got blocked at the end of the 1st quarter, so the next time he drove, he drew both defenders and dished it off to maxiell for an easy slam.