At Houston Rockets March 18th, 9:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Man, what a late finish for a non- West coast game. Late start for ESPN and then a 2OT. I am tired. Here is what I saw.

One, Stuckey looked horrid most of the game. He started getting his offense together late. His defense - nowhere as good as Bynum.

Afflalo shot well, handled the ball well, and played fine defense along with a career high 22 points. 2nd game with 4 made threes.

Tay. Covered well by Artest, got outplayed in this one. Missed a ton of shots.

Kwame. Lots of rebounds, including a whole lot of good work on the O boards. His defense on Ming was good to start, but the Pistons never forced Ming to pass the ball away - thus never forced him to even think about doing something besides shooting. Sorry, no way you never double team a post player when he is killing you. You got to do things to throw his rythm off. We did throw a couple of brief fakey double teams at him but we never stuck with one, trying to force a pass. Hey, I have seen the Pistons in past seasons do great at double teaming the ball and then rotating well when the the opponent tries to pass the ball to an open shooter. It can be done. We could not even try this a few times? Non-sense.

Dyess. Made some shots. Worked at least a bit inside. Another wasted 20 rebound game. Worst thing - he played an absolute ton of minutes - especially if you include the day before. Horrible coaching, under any circumstances, to play Antonio McDyess these kinds of minutes. He was worthless toward the end of the game.

JMAX. Nothing great. Amir. Played a bit. Curry found a flaw in his defense and never put him back in the game. Of course, we lost the game partially because Dyess was worn completely out. Curry is clueless. He will not improve the play of Amir except by playing Amir.

Herrmann. He was negative in his first half stint. He was put in several offensive plays later, and may have ended up positive for the gmae. He missed the potential game winning shot at the end of regulation. A shot, as many point out, was not needed - we only needed a two point shot to win the game. Or even just a foul and one free throw.

Bynum. Pretty good. Good D. Scored quite a bit. Did he get out of control here and there? Its expected for a guy just learning the point guard position. Lack of assists, by both Bynum and Stuck? You know, we could maybe use some better plays. The only thing we had going as far as plays was Afflalo hitting his shots off of screens. More plays are needed. This team still looks like its in its first couple of weeks in the season.

Herrmann did not play all that much. Amir barely any. So really, we just used a 7 man rotation, Starting Kwame and Dyess, Tay, Afflalo, and Stuck. Bynum and JMAX were the only two subs who got many minutes.

So how did that go, with so few subs? Stuckey got enough rest. Afflalo got enough rest. Kwame got enough rest. Dyess and Tay, way, way, way overplayed - especially for the 2nd of a back to back. And they were already overplayed in regulation.

Well, we are no longer a .500 team, falling one game under.

We may not make the playoffs. Curry seems to still have other agendas besides winning - and has no ability to coach - not even to do the real simple stuff like spell his players once in a while - even if they are creaking with old age.

The effort was there. (Stuckey being the huge exception to that for much of the game. PS, can someone tell him he is suppose to have a hand up when guarding a perimeter shooter?) Over 20 offensive boards on a lot of hustle. Of course, a lot of that hustle was from a young player in Kwame Brown who has not been overplayed this season. Go figure.

No AI. They mentioned AI is going for more tests yet this Friday, and that he is still experiencing back pain. No imminent return. Rip and Sheed are still sitting out game to game. Sharpe did not play.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The defensive play before that was no champ either. I can't quite remember it, but I'm think somehow, someway the rebound came down and 3 Pistons just stood there before it got to Yao for the score.
  3. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

And yeah, not ever doubling Yao? Not even once?

Curry is a giant ball of pus. I HATE looking at him on the sidelines.
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I just looked at the Bulls schedule. It's a cakewalk. The only way we hold on to 7 is if we beat them twice.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

They fought and played hard. Half these guys couldn't score in a brothel with a fist full of hundreds.

Good game for Afflalo. Luckily he's hardly played this year because they had to find time for an over-hyped diva who would quit on the team the first time things didn't go his way. I may start calling Afflalo "Arron" to make up for this.

Tay and Stuck were not so good. They hit a few shots at the end, but other than that they looked like they were re-creating the game from the Basketball Diaries when Mark Wahlberg and Leo DiCaprio split the bag of quaaludes and red devils before they played.

I still would have liked to see Kwame start all year.

This was one of the first, if not the only, games where I felt they needed CB. They needed some 3 point shooting.

I am tired of losing, but they just played 2 WC playoff teams on the road with this line-up and gave them a pretty good run. That's got to count for something. AI is dunzo so they got to get Sheed and Rip back and healthy.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, what a win that would have been.

If nothing else, it was fun to see players like Bynum, Afflalo, and Kwame Brown prove that they are real NBA players, not scrubs. Ignoring MC, that was insane effort from all of our players. The offensive rebounds that Dyess and Kwame were ripping away from Houston were amazing.

Many obvious things to nickpick about as always, but if we would have pulled that win off, like let's say Herrmann hits that last second 3 in reg, I doubt I'd be wanting to talk about them.

Big picture, it was fun to watch a defensive battle. Kwame was doing a heck of a job on Yao... about as good as it gets really, and Artest was putting on a defensive clinic and making it impossible for Tay. Afflalo was brilliant. The help defense from both teams was intense.

I'll leave it at that. Fun to watch. Vintage Pistons attitude and effort.

Oh, one more thing. Scola is a %%%%%. He basically spends the entire game looking for flopping opportunities and acting to draw whistles. Somebody needed to kick that guy's ass.
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Weary Pistons run out of gas | detnews.com | The Detroit News
  8. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I'm glad that we have such killer instinct with guys like Tayshaun Prince?

"I should have told him to take me out?" what kind of fairy ish is THAT?! Get some killers on this team, and quick.

And thumbs down to Stuckey for deferring AGAIN.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

To be fair Tay has been playing almost the whole game plus overtimes and it's been going on all season. He's also the only S to play in every game.

If Tay didn't ask to come out, Curry would probably still have him "in the game" right now.
  10. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

:laugh:
  11. slowfall

slowfall First Round Draft Pick

In all fairness he was being a good teammate missing open shots only hurt the team.
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

AA really shows he needs mins, to bad we have 500 sg's on this team, two who are high volume min takers... He is going to be vital to this team going forward, he's a gamer who seems to play better the tighter the game is. Should only get better as he gets more mins, learns the league, and gets more practice.

The shot that Hermann took... they pressured stuckey hard, he made the right decision... AA was in the corner for a 3 but did you see how tight they were guarding him no way he gets a shot off. Hermann was in Sheed's slot with him injured, I like Sheed's chances to make the shot.... or sheed would have gotten more respect and maybe Stuckey gets to the hole for the shot. (from the end game interviews it sounded like it was intended for stuckey to get the shot)
  13. round

yea he's a minus on offense if you ask me, he doesn't look for whats best for his team, he's looking for his... the only black hole that should be allowed on that team is that 8 foot center of theres....
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

- Has Stuck ever seen a shot he couldn't make harder?

- All the minutes are certainly wearing Dyess down, but I'm wandering if they have done some good too. Seems to me for the first time since the last surgery that he is playing without worrying about the knees. There is no more of that i-play-20-25-minutes kind of thing. I think these past couple of months has been the first time he has trusted his body in years.

- AA 4-6 from three last night, 4-7 the night before. Standing all alone in the corner while Herrmann puts up the last shot. Curry first for drawing up a play that didn't incorporate him, and Herrmann second for not tossing the ball over ought to be tarred, feathered, and dragged through the streets of Houston.

- Win or not though, this is a much more entertaining team than the one that moped onto the floor two months ago.
  15. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Will sadly is not a true point guard either. It seemed to me that some of the guys were a little upset with his shot selection. I would give Affalo more minutes because I think he has intelligence and would improve with time. Coach is definitely a moron and that was Joe's biggest mistake. It is too much to ask for a team to overcome the lost of leadership (Billups) and a rookie coach. I don't blame Iverson. I still feel he can help the Pistons, but I do not think he is coming back.
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Is it just me who thought it was it weird seeing that Allen Iverson promo where they showed highlights of him "taking it to the hole" in a Pistons uniform.

Has Chuck even had any highlights as a Piston?
  17. dba

That ad did seem to go on for a while. Maybe they snuck in a video game highlight or two.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just looking at the box score.

Dyess with 0 FTA's in 51+ minutes? Ouch.

Tay 55 minutes and 12 points? Wow did Artest look like his big brother out there. I wish we would have tried to get him... despite the fact that he used our fans for his tae bo workout that one time.
  19. dba

RonRon played some serious D on Mr P. Battier had a little less luck trying to guard the twos.
  20. round

Agree 100 percent on Dyss, but really there was a defender face guarding AA in the corner and I think it was Batt so there was no way he could have gotten off a clean look shot, as much as we want to dog herrmann he was open, had a good look at it and he missed it. A week from now end game happens I think AA has moved ahead of Herrmann and it would have been sheed sitting there so maybe Batt is defending Sheed and now AA is open in the corner, or Stuckey is more open and gets to the hole.

Remember we have 3 players out there that really arn't old time crunch time players... there learning, and it will pay off down the line. Rip, and Mr. Big shot didn't start being clutch the min they were NBA rookies.