At Indiana Dec 29 7PM

Discussion in 'December 2007' started by max, Dec 28, 2007.

1. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I agree about the D. He seems like he wants to play D, but right now he gets caught off-guard sometimes. He has given up a number of open 3's in loose-ball or transition situations. These things should improve pretty rapidly. He has proven he has the ability to get a lot of deflections and steals though. He's got 6 steals in his last 3 games (46 total minutes).

As for the shooting... He had that bail-out shot where I believe Chauncey passed him the ball about 27 feet from the basket with 2-3 seconds on the shot clock. He also got swatted twice by JO (the 2nd of which would have likely been called a foul if he weren't a rook). As he builds confidence and learns to pick his spots, his efficiency will get better. I'm not sure if he'll ever be a really high percentage shooter though, but then again, Chauncey has never been a high percentage shooter either. Chauncey makes up for it by getting to the line. Stuckey will probably be even better than him in that regard.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

2 years in college and 5 games in the NBA. He's looking pretty solid considering that.

If his ability level froze right now, then I think we'd be better off with Murray. However, Stuck will likely improve a lot before year-end.

It seems like all of his fouls are getting picked up in the full court pressing defense. Those experienced guards are just bumping him when he gets too close and since he's a rook, they all get called.

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good post. For sure, a guy just getting his feet back under him can't be judged on his D. He has a lot or things to get straight in his mind. Absorbing that road map called the NBA game. Its better to look at summer league, and preseason, since we have a quick comparison to make, Stuckey to Afflalo. What we saw there: Mejia was far and away the best defender. Afflalo was pretty darn solid though, with Stuckey good but not on Afflalo's level by quite a bit. Here is the two chief things I look at, effort, and the simple ability to stay in front of your man. Stuckey has these, and he has good height and ups to go with it. Rebounding is part of defense too and Stuckey won't be lacking there. Altogether, I think Stuckey is going to just fine on defense, not to mention the fact he will end up fouling his competition out so often it would not be much of an issue anyway.

4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I don't agree with your assessment of the Stuckey or Murray at all, especially with regard to Stuckey's defense.

If fact I find all of your negative posts regarding Stuckey as very puzzling because I haven't read negative stuff about him any place else. Some criticism of his game yes, but not what seems to me to be just outright negativism toward his game and his ability to play in the NBA. Strange indeed.

I could of course be entirely wrong, it wouldn't be the first or last time, though my experience tells me that in this case I am correct.

:hoops:

5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Anyone who refers to 'himself' as a 'slow adult' not only mocks himself, but shows a insensitivity to all those out there who actually have to live with that handicap.

..nuff said