At Indiana Pacers Jan. 14th 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by roscoe36, Jan 11, 2009.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Two questions about this game:

1) Is small ball the new escapegoat?

2) What the devil were the scrubs GIGGLING about on the bench in the final minute of our loss to lowly Indiana?

2. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Jeez what is happening to the Pistons lately? I just feel the bad mojo on this team and it's coming from Rip (in my opinion). Michael Curry is not shaping up to be my favorite coach and what does he have against the young-uns? Trading players is not going to help with anything, the Pistons have a good enough team with 10 really solid players. I would rather lose with the young players and then watch Tay, Rip and Sheed dragging at the end of games because they are out of gas.

So why does Tay feel like he can make a free throw that would have won the game for us (Jarrett Jack's technical)? Why can't Stuckey shoot the free throws since he's better at the line late in the game. Speaking of better at the line another game where Afflalo wasn't in the game guarding Danny Granger or even TJ Ford who both look like Hall of Famers against the Pistons.

It's just not that much fun watching the Pistons this last week, I'm pretty disappointed in Curry and his rotations.

3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

did not know that MC likes sado-maso games.

Well, live and learn.

4. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I'm officially on the dark side.

Come join me. It's cold over here.

5. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

We are a team in disarray and its a sad sight to see right now. I'm still very optimistic but as of right now its painful to watch us as a team.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Hey guys, remember RIP IS A STARTER.

7. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Tay looks like he about to drop dead at any moment. On granger's game tying shot, he could move. So I guess the winning streak showed curry nothing. I cannot believe that joe is sitting there and approving of this bs. So disappointing. Coaching does matter.

8. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Mike Curry needs to put his fear behind him cause he's acting like he is afraid of Rip and AI, but he really needs to make a decision on who is going to sit or start. This team needs him to make a decision and I wonder what has Joe said to him. I really hope that he makes up his mind soon or we can expect more games to be just like the Charlotte and Indiana game. Back to back games lost by nonsense. They are not making free throws, turning the ball over, dribbling too much, and not making good decisions with the ball. I'm sick and tired of M.C.'s excuses of what he is doing with the team.

9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

While small ball is responsible for this game being as schizophrenic as it is, we lost it in the 4th quarter when the ball was taken out of Stuckey's hands. He was absolutely killing the Pacers defense and then we decide that AI should now handle the ball ?

If this is Stuckey's team, then let it be Stuckey's team.

And i know i'm going to get criticized for this, but i don't care. AI is useless on defense. Who cares how much he's going to score if the opposing guards are going to take turns going on personal scoring runs against him? He just gives it all back anyway. His inability to deal with screens puts everybody on the team out of position b/c they are constantly having to help him. And it doesn't matter how much he gets abused on defense. He's never going to get taken out of the game. He mentions to Curry how he hates being taken out of the game for defensive purposes in crunch time and surprise, surprise he no longer is.

Going to Rip on that last shot was stupid, and looked like Curry's I'm sorry you sat this quarter play call. Amir was great on defense, he's sitting. AA is too. We obviously don't care about being a"defensive" team.

Rip sucks at SF. Tay sucks at PF. Small ball sucks. And no one can make a FT. This is not working.

The line-up that lost this game was Stuckey/AI/Sheed/Tay/Dice. Who's going to spin this and make it Rip's fault ? 1/ He wasn't in the game and 2/ I didn't see him getting abused by his man

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Even if one sits, they are still going to demand minutes, which keeps the lineup small, and unbalanced.

Instead of playing the gritty exciting ball of the last 2 weeks, where we rebound and defend with our size, we're back to playing small ball, against running teams AND LOSING.

Trading AI is not an option, because you'll get squat for him. Rip is the one who will bring the most value back.

This team has a logjam, and someone's feelings are going to get hurt.

It is what it is. I would call the postgame, but I can't record it. I might have to wait until Monday, so I can call the Stoney and Wojo show to nominate Curry for M.A.M. (Monday Afternoon Moron).

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Curry is soft. I thought since he was an underdog player who had to work to make the rotation he would give other players the same chances. He is riding the same players into the ground though.

The only player who should start out of position is Sheed at the center spot. Everyone else needs to play their natural position. It is not a coincidence that Stuckey and AI combined for over 50 this game because they are playing their natural positions. Sheed had a double double because he can handle the center position. Rip and Tay combined for 17 points on a terrible fg% because they are not effective at sf and pf.

12. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Curry needs to be afraid of losing his job than worrying about AI or RIP having hurt feelings.
    With Michigan economy in the tank those Palace seats are going to be hard to sell if we are losing. Mr. D doesn't like empty seats.

13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well MC Smallballs still does not get it and the Pistons blow another one where they should have had a W.

The Grim Ripper shot 4-12 last night and now 4-13 tonight including missing what could have been the game winner with a few ticks left on the clock.

However the killer was the FT shooting that just like what happen in the Portland loss was the real difference. AI missed the front end of 2 free throws with 1:00 minute left which would have put us up 94-91 and then Tay misses a FT off a Jarrett Jack tech, with 48 seconds left that would have extended the lead to 95-91 if AI had made his.

Both Tay and AI both missed two more jumpers in the interim, setting up Granger who punk fakes Tay with 19 footer with 3 seconds left in regulation to tie it.

At that point I already knew who was going to win:redface:

Positives
    Amir only had 3 fouls in 17 minutes
    Sheed>, 17 pts and 15 boards and no techs but 11 three ball attempts:redface:
    Stuckey 30 pts 9 brds, 6 assists

Negatives
    FT shooting 11-19, 3 ball shooting 9-25, FG shooting 43-100
    Tay 45 mins
    AI 43 mins

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Exactly. I remember people saying we need to start Big, but at the end of the game if we put our 5 best players on the court we are still out of position. It sucks.

Stuckey is the only normal-big sized player we have in the lineup. AI is tough but he gets killed on screen and rolls because he is too small to get through. Rip cannot handle sf and tay cannot play pf. We are talking about an NBA organization. They cannot be this damn stupid. Its so obvious it doesn't work.

I remember when our team played normal sized lineups and tough defense. I remember knowing the Phoenix's and Dallas's of the NBA were not going to win because of their small ball. It sucks to keep watching us put this small lineup in because I know it won't work but know its our own team using the method instead of other teams.

15. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Well, I've never been one that believes a loss is all due to lack of defense, I mean the other team is going to score at some point. And when shots have to bounce three times high off the rim before it decides to go in, then you just tip your hat and keep it moving.

I thought it was strange that there was an insistence to go to Rasheed towards the end, especially since each play went further and further away from the basket and not one shot went through the basket.

The frontcourt did not shoot well and that more than anything else lost this game. There is only one person that looked content throughout the game and that was Richard.

Not even the 50%+ shooting between Rodney and Allen looked comfortable. Everyone but Rasheed and Richard looks like they are thinking about how they could be The One.

16. max

max All-Star

I thought Sheed kind of mucked things up there in the 4th quarter. Looked like we had the game under control until he came in and starting jacking up shots. Things about the vets is the other guys do defer to them when they are in.

Another game that we should have won. Lost 4 of the last 5.

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stoney and Wojo said that there were probably no more than 14-15,000 fans there last night. The tickets may have been sold, but the concession stands are hurting

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I thought the critical part of the game was the two chances we had to go up 6 or 7, and our defense couldn't hold the lead b/c we couldn't stop their guards.

We're just a mess right now. It doesn't look like anybody knows what they're doing except Sheed and Stuckey.

19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

meanwhile, check standings. 4th or 5th seed means meet Atlanta and it means also sure 1st round loss.

From possible POers I do not to see a team who is beatable with SB.

20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Is that actually a valid excuse ? I'm not trying to be antagonizing. But i've seen players AI's size have no problem getting through screens. DJ Augustine for example. Not being able to fight through screens seems to be laziness or lack of awareness.

I mean how many times did someone have to leave their man to cover his ?