at Memphis Wednesday October 28 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'October 2009' started by roscoe36, Oct 27, 2009.

1. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Is there a way to get over that crap blackout they do for local games?

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Fired up the League Pass baby! They know they a sucker here.

3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

pistons start the year off with a victory!!!

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With Daye and Jerebko serving one-game suspensions, the Pistons will only be dressing 10 players tonight.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Been waiting too long for this, time to forget the Curry era.

7. Stuckey.And1

Stuckey.And1 First Round Draft Pick

how do I get to the chat?

edit: oops duh (was in the post 25)

8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Nice start to the season, couldn't watch the game so I can't wait to read the comments on the game.

9. max

max All-Star

Great start to the season. Piston announcers were saying that they almost beat the Piston opening game record which was 23+ back in 1967. They of course won this game by 22.

One of the highlights for me was that they were able to hang onto and build on the lead in the 4th Q. A contrast to last season.

Defense was there and Pistons only had I think 8 TO's. A lot of that is getting more of the sloppy players such as Wilcox out of the rotation. Pistons frontcourt is looking like Ben Wallace, CV, Kwame and Maxiel.

Ben Gordon's 1st shot as a Piston was a 4 pt play.

10. roscoe36

Gordon was fantastic tonight. Really great. Rip too. The best thing this team can do, with so many guys who think they can handle the ball, is to keep it away from Tay, so they can get up and down the court and make shots.

11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Podshow will begin momentarily....

12. roscoe36

13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great game once the Pistons got it going to begin the second qtr... Little Ben came and hit his first 3 out of 4 shots, including a 4pt banker and Will Bynum dished out 5 assists in the second qtr. Rip who was missing badly in the first qtr with 1-6 shooting, flipped that with a 6-7 shooting in the second qtr and the rout was on as the Pistons lead swelled to 25 in the 4th qtr.

Everyone of the Pistons that played scored and everyone was in the + column.

Big ben set the tone on the defense and the rest of the team fell into the groove. I don't think the Grizz are that bad, but we held the Mayo to 2-12 shooting and frustrated both Gay and Randolph.

CV got off to a bad start with 2 quick fouls, but came back in the second half with 3 blocks and 7 pts. including a 3 pointer as his first Piston bucket

We are in first place baby...not sure how long it will last, but for at least one day the Pistons can say they are on top!!

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

ur horrid defense, err, I mean hmmm. Wait. Maybe I should not have written the game up before it started.

Got to start over. Wow. Ben Wallace, Jason Maxiell, and Kwame Brown played nearly all the bigs minutes in the first half and between them set a great defensive tone for the Pistons. As the game progressed, our defense did nothing but tighten up further and further. (Villanueva was in early foul trouble and was not brought back in during the first half after the first 3 minutes of the game.) I saw a couple of plays early where the defense did not rotate well, but man, did some coach ever clean it all up, what little there was to clean up that is. This game featured a tremendous amount of excellent defensive rotation. One player after another hustled over to pick up the guy with the ball, and almost never did we end up leaving them an open shot for all that movement on defese toward the ball. Just great stuff. Memphis did not get to 60 points until the game was all but over.

Ok, who did the scoring. Rip started out bad, 1-6, but ended up 11-19 for 25 points. Gordon started out hot off the bench, getting a rare 4 point play as his firt scoring for the Pistons and then continuing to fire in the points to the tune of just under 20 I believe. Stuckey got to double digits. Villanueva scored a bit, hitting a triple in the 2nd half for his first Piston points. Just a bit of scoring here and there from the rest.

Got to love what I saw on shot selection. Not afraid to take open threes, but yet a whole lot of effort to get the ball inside, drawing a ton of fouls to weaken the other team's defense. Just two fast break points given up in the first half.

Turnovers? Hardly any. Eight I believe. 20 assists. (From the post game show - I have not looked at the boxscore yet.

Rotation. Only ten guys dressed, so someone had to be out there in the end for this blowout. It did seem Rip was playing way too many minutes, and was kept out there way to long for a blowouot game. And he got hurt. Maybe not serious. Twisted an ankle apparently coming down after a shot. Hope its nothing. But again, hey, someone had to be out there.

It was strange that Wilcox did not hardly play. A few minutes in the first half, a few minutes to end the blowout. Villanueva did not show any signs of being weak defensively in this one, looking awful tall out there as he was swatting shots away. Jason Maxiell was out there the whole time as we were building up the lead in the first half, mostly paird with Big Ben WALLACE. Ben was drawing so many charges he might have to declare bankruptcy. Great defensive play by him, and Zach Randolf most likely wishes Ben had not shown up tonight.

Gordon did not look too polished on defense, but hey, with his teammates all around him hustling to play help out defense, guess what, he was hustling right along with everyone else.

Its so important to have a point guard you can leave out there for a good long stretch in the first half to give your point guard proper rest. (Not to mention your point guard only has so many tricks in his bag and overplaying him might make him less effective in that respect.) Bynum filled the role as backup point just fine. Nothing spectacular. An impressive enough drive to the hoop though plus one meaningless outside jumper late. Bynum played plenty good enough D, hounding the ball quite well.

Let me see. It seemed for one of two plays that Maxiell could not clear the defensive boards - but we had already built up a double digit lead with his in at that point. And then he got some defensive boards - and a slam after an offensive board.

Villanueva did make one good inside move. Wilcox scored inside late. Kwame got to the line alot, too bad he can't make free throws. But hey, his defense was solid on Gasol, the kind of guy we need him to defend.

I liked the defense. I liked it even more seeing it tighten up thruout the game. I like that we ended the quarters strong. Just flat out a lot of signs of good coaching.

What I did not like - Rip playing maybe too much, and maybe too much at small forward. I doubt he can last much further this season playing that position. I hope that Daye does get to play some at small forward to reduce Rip's minutes there. Again, Daye was not dressed tonight, nor Jerebko - due to suspensions earned during the preseason. We only got to dress ten guys due to the suspensions. So again. Someone had to finish out the game.

Trying to think of anything else I saw. Oh yeah, the passing seemed to get sharper and more prolific for us as the game went on, making the shots taken easier and easier. Gee, in - game improvements on both defense and offense. Coaching seems fine so far as far as in game adjustments.

You knew Memphis was in trouble when they were keeping up only by circus shots from Gaye over the outstretched arms of Tay. That ain't going to get you points for long. Tay had an aggressive enough scoring game by the way. Forgot him earlier.

Ben Wallace looks quite lively out there, hustling to bother the inbounds considerably before getting smartly back to the defensive end, knocking the ball away, getting bounds, slapping the ball back out, and always getting in just the right position to thwart a wannabe scorer like Randolph. You know, Ben is older. Sure. But in my opinion, while maybe not his best ever - is better than when he first came to the Pistons in the Hill trade. His gained experience in defending the leagues better bigs shows.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Ben Gordon. This is just the beginning. He can shoot the lights out. He is 26. He is a Piston. Gordon's scoring took the early pressure off of Rip and then Rip became Rip. Together they put on quite a display of shooting.

Now Memphis is bad so that tempers the performance a bit.

I am worried about having so many bigs who are not good shooters: Ben, Maxiel and Kwame although Maxiel's shot looked better and Kwame hit a baseliner.

I am also worried about the defensive glass. They pounded us a bit but to no avail in terms of scoring. Can the Piston front line hold up against the good teams?

Still and all, very promising. There is a lot of talent on this team and the team is basically young.

16. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Besides a good 1st game showing, the Pistons beat who they were suppose to beat.

17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I'm so bummed I missed the chat tonight. This would've been a good one to attend. But, kids took priority.

Anyways, after analyzing the box score and reading the LeeCap, I'm so pscyhed! Yes, we did beat a team we were supposed to beat, but these young guys did it on the road PLAYING DEFENSE! I was expecting a 118-115 victory or something like that; essentially outscoring them. But, the way they pulled this off is just very very encouraging. We allowed just 33 points in the second half! Aah, I hope they keep this up.

GO PISTONS!

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

For all of you talking about playing defense within a system... I see what you're talking about. It must be the combination of the new blood and Kuester's emphasis, because we challenged almost every single shot tonight. Guys hustled to defend the break, hustled for loose balls, and sprinted out to shooters to affect shots.

Charlie V was the only one looking weak, but then he bounced back with 3 blocks and got in the groove offensively.

Also, I'm absolutely loving the decision to get Ben and start him. Might be a bad idea to continue this throughout the year, but I like the tone that it set. He looked sprightly. It would be nice to keep him that way.

Just one observation that I've been thinking about. Kuester really seems like an encourager. All of the quotes that I've seen from him and his demeanor + the way he pulls players aside to seemingly instruct them makes it seem like he's going to be a good coach in a year when we need to grow instead of conquer.

Nothing to dislike about this game at all.

19. roscoe36

You have until Friday to send them out of state. ;)

Yup! :nod:

20. roscoe36

I'm happy about this game, but I am happy for you too. I knew you were down on the team a bit. This was a nice pick-me-up for all the die hard fans.