At NewJersey Nov 7 7:30PM

Discussion in 'November 2008' started by max, Nov 5, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This Amir this is baffling. Other than that, all i have to say about this game is I miss CB.

2. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I have to say that I got upset during this game at times but came down to earth when i realized that we still have alot of things to overcome. We are still getting adjusted to MC's new system and the acquistion of a new player just 3 games into the season. As soon as both ai and the other players get acclimated to each other and the new system we will be just fine. Stay optimistic and dont give up on the boys just yet guys.

3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I am more excited to see Chauncey play in his first game with the Nuggets then I was about this game.

4. Syg

Syg First Round Draft Pick

Hello everyone, long time no see :p.

I give this team some games for getting used to AI, it cant be bad man. I mean, he is as good passer as CB is, and makes more points. Come on, give him the chance.

Btw, CB was watching the game at the locker room in Denver... was him smiling? I dont know, but I dont think so.

Syg.

5. explosivity

I understand that and Cb was my favorite and I miss him as well. However, i can guarantee that if we still had him and went to the ECF and lost in six the vast majority would be asking for his head. It's gonna take time. I dont know what else to say.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

AI did not cost us the game tonight, and CB did not win our last two games.

C'mon folks. Let's pretend we're being objective and rational.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We will be fine, but I think we underestimated Chauncey's value to this team. I hope he does well today.

8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Me too.
    I'm not giving on the team. I just don't really care for the deal to begin with (plus i have no patience in anything LOL). I just don't think this team will be better than the previous one not to say that they can't eventually become a good team in their own right, but i think the ECF's is not going to happen. I hope AI (and this team) makes me eat these words. And i hope Rip was just having a temper tantrum and they are not incompatible. They've got to work on getting that pass down.

edited to add;

The defense sucks, ad the awful shots we take are not helping.

9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

opponents are killing us in p'n'roll. That's it.

10. permaximum

permaximum Banned - Sent to NBDL

Statistically Iverson was the best for pistons but there was absolutely no chemisty on the court with AI.I think it will take several games...

11. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No one not named DWade should get 24 FTA vs the Pistons or any team... Once again the Pistons set someone up for a career game as Devin harris scores 38 points and spoils Iverson's ESPN highlights.

If our D plays llike it did the last two games, then we maybe in for a rude awakining. MC's rotations to start the second qtr have given up double digit leads in all five games, and finally it comes back to haunt us. You cannot have Fabio and Kwame on the floor at the same time....ever...they grabbed 3 boards between them compared to Amir's 7. In fact it appears that when Amir sits, the D relaxes. As bad as Dice's D was diminishing, I think we are missing him and even if he comes back what do we do in the meantime??

AI did a good job trying to get his team mates involved, but they missed to many jumpers as we could not penetrate or break the zone. Stuckey and AI were the only players to penetrate other than a couple of token drives by Tay and bad Fabio attempt at a drJ behind the hoop swoop that missed. Fabio is turning into a Jarvis Hayes..hot for two games and then disappears for 2-3.

Where was the guy who led the bench in the last two games >Will.I.AM Bynum?? Glued to the pine I guess. Only 18 points from the bench tonight and only 1 shot from Amir.

And what happen to Sheed? I think he only took one shot in the paint the whole night. The team took 25 three pointers and the crushing blow was the points in the paint 48-26 in favor of the nets....including 4 dunks by Josh Boone...:messer:

OK I will calm down...it is only one game and one loss, but I would have felt better with a loss to the Celtics, than the Nets:(

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, a lot of promise showed. AI did draw an absolute ton of fouls, scored plenty. We fouled out both Carter and Yi before the game was done.

But Maxiell was invisible, no post play. Sheed hit some outside shots, no post play. Kwame did score in the post once. Amir had the one offensive rebound, drew one foul posting up. In all, our inside game from our bigs stank, and added nothing to what AI was doing in drawing the fouls. What did we get instead, mostly a bunch of jumpers. Most of the time, you just were wondering which Piston was going to jack up the next shot.

But why did we really lose this one? Coaches decision. He did not use Afflalo to start the 2nd quarter. After a great first quarter, Curry decides to leave out our best perimeter defender. That won't work. Afflalo did, due to foul trouble on AI, play quite a bit in the 2nd half, and played some pretty good D. Not perfect, as Harris scored on him just like everyone else: but better than we otherwise had out there. We had a good start, Afflalo should have been out there to start the 2nd quarter and play some defense.

Ok, player by player: AI, scored a lot, and much of it at the line. He did hit a triple, and misc. other shots around the basket.
    Rip did some scoring in the first quarter and then not much.
    Tay did no scoring in the 1st quarter that I recall, came out early and then started the 2nd quarter. He still did not do much scoring. Some, just not a whole lot.

JMAX seemed invisible. Herrmann hit one triple among several shots taken. 2nd bad shooting night. NJ was not attacking him much on D. Stuckey did get to the hoop here and there, the only guy consistently helping AI draw fouls.

Kwame played a very long stretch in the first half, little in the 2nd. I think he missed 4 free throws, that did not help in this close loss. Sheed's highlight was drawing a tech and giving them the lead on the resulting free throw. Yes, he did hit some outside shots, but where was the inside play?

My general impression: We had limited sets ready for AI, and became too predictable during stretches with him on the floor. We did seem to get it together late in the game, with a unit of AI, Rip, Stuckey, Tay, and Sheed - but this unit did not hold up defensively.

Amir only had 3 fouls this game. He could have played down the stretch. So far Curry has not tried that. Amir, remember, did not even play the 4th quarter in game one, a game where Amir only had one foul.
    Of note, Tay is still missing clear opportunities to get Amir the ball when Amir gets wide open under the basket. Tay did try once to get Amir the ball, and weakly turned the ball over. I am beginning to wonder if Tay even can make that feed.

Its not a good thing when a guy like Harris has a career night on you, and even with a badly sprained ankle for much of it. Note to Curry, only play your best defenders, so next time we win the game.

14. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

This game could've been locked for us if we didn't have such a horrible 2nd quarter. That quarter was a :messer: and it was ugly as s**t. Sheed was not in a good groove from the beginning. A.I. was looking good and even contribute some assist which I was happy about. I think he started playing a little one-on-one basketball too much when we needed to set up some offense. Amir should've been in the game a little more. He didn't have foul trouble;Kwame doesn't have the greatest hands so I felt that M.C. should've put Amir in when the time was needed. AA came in too late for me. Herrmann was not good on offense nor defense. The scoring in the paint and letting players get in the paint off the dribble, killed it for me. I hate when they let players just run circles around them. Josh Boone shouldn't have gotten 18 pts and 14 rebounds. It was just ugly after the first quarter for me. That's all I got to say about the game.

15. explosivity

First of all our defense hasnt been that stellar the first 4 games we've played. I understand your concern but in the grand scheme of things something had to be done to try to make us a better team. We were not going to the Finals with the team we had prior to the acquisiton of Iverson. I think Joe knew that and gambled on Iverson a player who is hungry for title and is ready to conform to our team in order to do so. This was the first game with a new player learning a new system along with the other players. We are 4-1 and will have the opportunity tomorrow to get in some practice time before we square off with the Celts. There is absolutely no reason to believe we were going to the Finals with the old group, something had to be done. BTW, Chaucey was my favorite player and I still feel the trade was a good one.

16. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

A positive: Iverson with 13 FT's. Get used to that every single night. But what is wrong with the defense? I haven't been impressed once this year.

17. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

It goes without saying... Curry needs to get AJ more minutes. I've never seen a situation where a guy plays the first 8 minutes of each half, then never comes in again. He is simply the only big on this team that has the mobility to provide proper help defense on a consistent basis. When he doesn't have fouls... Keep him in the game. He was rebounding like crazy on the defensive end. What exactly was killing us in crunch time other than Harris.

One thing I noticed. Every time Devin Harris got into the lane, he gave AI a little bump which sent him flying under the hoop, leaving Devin wide open to essentially shoot a free throw shot. I hope a pattern doesn't form here or we're in trouble. A guy with AI's quickness should not struggle to move his feet defensively.

In general the defense has been very poor this year. Worse than Flip-era D. Curry needs to get this straightened out, as this was supposed to be his primary focus.

18. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

And I'm sorry but AI is just a better player than Chaunce, and in ways has improved since his chucking MVP days in Philly. If anything its a lateral move if only for this year, and a positive move past this year.

And i'm baffled by the Amir thing too. If MC thinks the starting role is too big for Amir then quit ***** footing around the idea of <20 minutes per.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Can you believe they got this guy? This was a steal. It took 1 quarter to see what's in store for this team. (I just finished watching the 1st quarter of the Nugs and saw a corpse out there in # 7.)

The Pistons lost this game because of turnovers. Turnovers that resulted from trying to make plays and turnovers that will cease with time. I thought AI looked good on D at first and will be able to stay in front of a lot of the guards that gave DET trouble in the past. That will trickle down and allow the bigs to guard bigs.

I think DET was trying to keep the middle open for the most part which led to the jumpers. The shooters were also probably shocked at some of the shots they were getting thinking it was illegal for the Piston guards to get to the middle of the paint as AI did over and over. Those shots will get better and fall. Those drives will get easy shots as well.

Curry had some Flip like moments with the rotation, but I don't even care. There'll be no complaining from 'ol Ernie tonight, no sir. The Detroit Pistons have gotten themselves a major upgrade.

20. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Sounds like Curry is trying to find the right rotation. Gonna take time.