At Orlando Magic Feb. 27th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'February 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 21, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Perhaps. Then accept that if the coach can make them lose, then the coach can make them win. And if that is the case, then it means that Larry Brown was the biggest factor in getting to the Finals, not Ben Wallace or Chauncey Billups.

Because.... it's not about everything being in place. It's not about the perfect rotation. They still have to go out there, fight, shoot and jump in order to win. You can have the best coach, the best lineup (04 Lakers) and you can still be beat if you don't actually show up and put the work in.
  2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't disagree with that. While i don't think he was the biggest factor, i give him a huge amount of credit.
  3. max

max All-Star

LB has only been to 3 Finals in over 30 years of coaching so you got to have the talent and the coaching. I think if Flip were still here we would have an extra 6-10 wins, but he had problems in the playoffs.

I also question the rotations but if Amir was not a foul every other minute and if AA hit more of his shots then maybe they would play more. Plus AA seems to have slipped some since last season on the defense end.
  4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

That's been Tay though since we got him.... remember him against Orlando in 03? when he won games down the stretch.... (if he played like that all the time he'd not only be an allstar, he'd be a superstar) he shows us a game or two here or there but the only thing you can say about his offensive game is that its inconsistent.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Things seem to go around in circles. If it was just Curry, people wouldn't argue about too many guards, etc. Yes, there are real problems.

Yes, Lpgrl, the team is not constructed properly. And yes too many posters, there are too many guards needing minutes. Like the comment that Stuckey got to redeem himself in the New Orleans game after a slow start because AI (or Rip) together did not need the minutes. And yes, the guards are not a good match. Not one is a proven point and not one of them can really 3ball.

The argument comes back to how many minutes that Amir or Jmax play and that Sheed and Dyss should not be coupled. Yes, I pointed out in game 6 Boston, that the Pistons were too slow with Sheed/Dyss and the rest of the starters. But that team got to the finals with 50 plus wins. Sheed/Dyss are not too slow to win a bunch of games. It hasn't been happening.

So what is different? Curry. Not enough explanation. Sheed has slowed down even more. A bigger explanation. And AI. The mix is just not there with AI. He has not improved the Pistons. Is it AI's fault? No. The key problem preceded AI.

The biggest problem is that the young bigs have not provided enough production or consistency. Not enough rebounding, blocks and certainly not enough scoring. None of the three can shoot even close to Dyss or Sheed in comparison. And the NBA these days is not won by defense alone. Yes, box scores are only a small indication, but sooner or later some kind of production needs to show up. I thought it was Flip and lack of minutes before but we have a new coach and more minutes. The new coach evaluates his young bigs just like the old coach did. Joe will enter the free agent market and lets hope he can solve this problem. It will not be easy. Sheed and Dyss have been incredibly talented bigs for the Pistons.

The flow in the offense is very important. The team lets up on defense naturally when they are frustrated at the offensive end. Offense feeds off defense but the reverse is also true.
  6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I think the coach puts them in the best possible position to win. I don't think our players feel that MC has been doing that for them. Now I obviously don't know this as a fact but when you talk about effort; I think they have been trying but have been getting frustrated because of the results.

Kind of like trying to pound a hole through a brick wall with a rubber mallet when your boss is holding a 5 pound sludge hammer right next to you but won't let you use it.
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't see how we can even make that determination since he barely plays and when he does we always win.

AA has actually been scoring more than Hermann. And his 3-point shot has been much better this year.

Curry just has bad vision.
  8. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

AA was shooting the ball well for a while when he was getting consistent minutes. When the consistent minutes went away; so did the shooting.

Coincedence??
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Definitely not. And what's more irritating is AA is clutch. He's been money with the "big shots"
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

AA shoots 73% of his shots as jump shots and has a .448 eFG%.
    AI shoots 72% of his shots as jump shots and has a .407 eFG%.

AA in crunch time = .415.
    AI in crunch time = .415.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice job. I was wondering what the truth was about those statistics.
  12. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

No problem. This is your (all Pistons fans) home, I wouldn't purposely come in tracking mud and I apologize for the times when I forgot to use a coaster and left little wet rings on the wood coffee tables.

However, I do believe and previously believed that the Pistons had given up out of either spite or fear of actually having to try hard. They had an excuse handed to them to explain their "inability" to win when Allen was playing and another excuse handed to them to explain their sudden "ability" to win when Allen wasn't.

That's pathetic.

I know I'm blind, but it was pretty clear every time Rasheed ran to set hard picks for the driving guard, played reasonably close to the basket and managed to not even attempt a three point shot until late in the third or fourth quarter. None of the three shots were outrageous either, they just didn't go in.

They should be ashamed of themselves.
  13. max

max All-Star

Yes but whenever AA takes a shot he is usually wide open.

I am just saying that the better they play the harder it would be to keep them out. Look at some of the other teams young players.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Can't really compare. Most of them get consistent minutes. If you look at the strong young players on the SAS/LAL they have all gotten that.

Trevor Ariza would be sitting on the bench here. And George Hill would be sitting right next to him.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

My question is, if the sandbagging theory is correct and the Pistons were dogging it with AI, then:
    - were we dogging it with AI and Rip both in the lineup? It sure seemed like we sucked then too. Why would the players tank when Rip had a secure starting job?
    - If it's true, why don't the players like AI? Why do they hate him so much that they would ruin their own stats and future contract value + risk missing the playoffs just to send him to the bench?

The whole thing seems proposterous to me. And all the while, Rip was wonderful off the bench. Wouldn't he have wanted to hurt the team's record with AI starting? Instead he's having 25 point performances.

In 11 games in December as a starter, Rip averaged 18.7 points, 2.4 assists.
    In 11 games in February off the bench, Rip averaged 18.8 points and 4.5 assists in less minutes.

The easy and innocent explanation is this:
    - We have a bad coach who couldn't make the AI integration work.
    - We have a bad coach and the core can ignore him and rely on their familiarity when paired together. They can pretend it's 2008 and Flip is over there on the sidelines talking with an injured CB about how great they are playing.

[​IMG]
  16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

:pound:That pic is hysterical for some reason

Oh and good post too LOL
  17. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

It's hysterical cause he was actually showing him what he was doing wrong and what we were not doing wrong! :laugh:
  18. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The core probably stayed together too long. I feel they are not dogging it, but as the losses mounted, it probably was depressing that after all of these years they are a losing team. To me they looked physically and mentally drained. That can be miscontrued as dogging it. As fans, we were drained, depressed, angry, frustrated because we are used to success. What must Rip, Tay, Dyess, Sheed feel? To top that off, they have a rookie coach that is not the brightest basketball mind. Damn they did win 59 games last year and went to ECF.
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

IT LOOKEDLIKE thesameteamaslast year,cuzlast year AI wasnt ON IT.

BTW, Pistons are 5-0 withoutIverson.
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I was waiting for ONE post fromsomebody to comment on not getting over excitedfromthis win.

Great post,RC