1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

At Phoenix March 16th, 10:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2007' started by Dlev59, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Wow, lapea! What a re-cap! How great was it to have awesome seats for a Pistons road beat-down of the team with one of the best records in the league, eh?

I love the stuff about the warm-ups. Also Abdenour and Carlos' gum. :laugh:

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sprocket belatedly says (sorry, just couldn’t stay up late enough)…

On New Year’s Eve the Pistons lost to Phoenix with Chauncey Billups out with a bad wheel. Last night the Pistons only got thirteen minutes from Billups who injured a groin muscle at the 4:50 mark of the second quarter and left the game for the duration. What they did get last night though was a brilliant game from Flip Murray who shot twelve for sixteen from the field (only taking three three-point shots) and added six steals on his way to a team high twenty-five points. Add in a strong game from Carlos Delfino (5-6 FG, 2-2 from 3, 7 boards, and a steal) and you get the Phoenix announcer observing at the four minute mark of the fourth quarter “36 points from Murray and Delfino, how can you win?”.

The Suns edge out early, holding a four point lead for most of the first quarter, broken only by a late Pistons 9-2 surge (following an 8-0 Suns run) that cuts the quarter ending margin to two. The Pistons commit five of their whole game nine turnovers in the first quarter and both teams show how they want to play. Phoenix doubles Webber quickly in the post, not allowing him to just stand with the ball and survey the floor. Billups pushes the ball to the hoop against Nash, either off the dribble or from the post. The Pistons do not commit a foul in the quarter. Flip had a nice sunburn going most likely from a couple of days on the golf course.

The Pistons start the second strong with a Webber reverse dunk capping a five to two run over the first couple of minutes. The Suns come back with Stoudemire hitting a very tough double clutch jumper over Sheed after a Hamilton three. The Pistons begin to steadily outscore the Suns, pushing the lead to four, then fix until Billups injures himself on a crossover dribble at the three point line. He leaves the game immediately holding his thigh and a collective shiver falls on the faithful. The Pistons hold the five point lead they have when Billups leave for the rest of the quarter. Delfino gets away with a walk and Flip Murray, back in the game for Billups, starts to feel it (four for six in the quarter).

The Pistons score twenty-four in each of the first two quarters, but hold the Suns to seventeen (on 5-15 shooting) in the second to take a five point lead at the half. The Pistons shoot 53% in the first half and the Suns 49%. The Suns cannot get it going from behind the three point line and end the half one for nine. The Pistons by and large eschew the three, taking only five in the first half and making two (both by Sheed who shoots two for three from behind the line).

The third opens much as the second ended. The Pistons five point margin, which they first gain around the middle of the second quarter holds until fairly late in the third then they break out for an eleven to four run to take a nine point lead at the break. Inside the third it’s all Flip Murray who shoots six for eight with a three, one assist, two steals, and no turnovers, playing all but the final possession of the quarter. Hamilton and Prince are three for eleven in the third, adding to their three for eight first half. Wallace and Webber carry the load though, shooting ten for eighteen over the first three quarters.

The fourth is all Pistons as runs of five to nothing, eleven to two, and seven to nothing put the Suns away for good. All Pistons that is except for the mystery tech called against Sheed around the eight minute mark. When Delfino tips in a missed shot around the six minute mark to complete his shooting night five for six, a Phoenix announcer yells “who is this guy?”. The Pistons shoot 59% in the fourth after a 50% third to end the game at 54% from the field (57% from three, though only 47% from the line). Sheed gets a bit angry toward the end and takes it out on the Suns, stealing the ball near halfcourt and dribbling in before an over the head pass leads to a Flip Murray dunk. By the time the Suns’ human victory cigar (Burke) enters the game at the 4:49 mark it’s all over but the shouting.

In the end, it’s a pretty simple game if you hit shots and don’t allow the Suns to run. The Pistons have eight turnovers in the first half, but only one after the break. Few of the nine enable the Suns to run though as most require them to take the ball out of bounds. Murray and Delfino befuddle the Suns most of the game, and some new defensive schemes befuddle them the rest of the time. Saunders outcoaches D’Antoni and all that’s left is to remember that it’s just one game.

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice recap lpod. I love the live ones.

Yep, good observation.

Not the only time this has happened. My POV is that Prince is the main guy who plays too many minutes, and he always pouts when he gets taken out.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Post game Audio

Mike D'Antoni

Flip Murray

Flip Saunders

Attached Files:

5. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great recap of the Suns game and greaaaat win.

My only concern, looking at yahoo sports on line, Did Flip kep the starters in the game too long even after it was obvious that this was a blowout.

It appeared that D'Antonini start bringing in his scrubs at the 4 minute mark of the 4th qtr. Webber, Sheed, Hamilton and others were not taken out of the game.

Lets save a freak injury if this was the case Flip.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated if Flip in fact left his starters on the floor too long.

6. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Hope I didn't watch the game last night through rose colored glasses, but I could not see much wrong with the Piston activities. Of course, I did not want CB to go down but Flip played extremely well. He will get a chance to get some minutes now, which should be good. CB will be fresher when he returns in plenty of time for the post season.

Phoenix could not get much going, really, and showed their impatience. The good minutes by Carlos and Flip were welcome.

I can't get one of the stations that broadcast the Pistons up here, my Dish does not carry it and it is HiDef, anyway. They do not broadcast in a way that I can get. So, I don't get all the games, but I think the Pistons are ready right now. Hope they do not get stale in the next few weeks.

7. detteam

detteam All-Star

Nice caps all...and thanks lapeapod for yet another first hand cap by the Pistons out-o-town faithful. :)

I didn't see the game when first broadcast, but caught some of TV20's replay at 1am while dozing on & off. Jr had a GREAT night. It was nice to see him drive to the rim in transition...something we don't see much from CB. Granted, it was against a porous D, but still a refreshing change of pace. He also played some great D. I was expecting the worst after CB went out, especially considering we're also without Lindsey until after the SA game, but Jr really stepped up to plate. And, as was said before, it wasn't just because of a great shooting night...he looked very much in control across the board...not something we're used to seeing. He should get some more extended minutes with CB probably being out for a few games, so let's see if he can keep last night's rythym with some consistency.

I don't know if yall caught his postgame interview, but he seemed almost sheepish about sitting there with Kelser & Blaha...for probably the first time this season. My take is that he didn't get a big head after having a great game and knows he still has a lot of work to do to gain respect from Detroit fans. That is his challenge and I hope he makes the best of it coming up to the playoffs...he could be a valuable piece if he wants to be.

8. max

max All-Star

When was the last time the Pistons swept a 5+ game West coast trip? I think it was back in the early 90's.

It was a great accomplishment to go out there and do what they did after losing those 2 at home. All about the bench last night and that was great. We did not have a bench 2 years ago.

Not only to win them all, the only close game was at Seattle. Go out there and sweep the superior West and end it by blowing out their fully healthy best team. Definetly going to make the Suns think twice if we do see them in the Finals. Suns have not been in the Finals since 1993 so thats going to play in if that series happens.

About time Flip Murry had a game like that. Kept hearing that he was capable of that and he finally was able to step up and deliver. If Hunter was active Murry never would have had that game.

9. max

max All-Star

Correction looks like Dallas has the best record in the West now. As it happends we get to see them this Sunday...

10. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

Berbs...go to NBA.com and sign up for League Audio Pass. Its about $20 for the entire season and playoffs and you can listen to every NBA game. You do need broadband, however.

11. Pistonchickforever

Pistonchickforever First Round Draft Pick

Fantastic recap Lpod!!!! Really enjoyed reliving that awesome win thru the eyes of a Piston Fanatic in Phoenix. I totally envy you!!!
    Great observations of our guys. We've been lucky enough to have awesome seats at the Palace for some important games, but I've always wanted to visit opponents homes in my Piston gear! Way to go!!

Probably the best Piston win we've seen all season. I honestly thought we were in for a beating down by this quick paced team, but I give both Flip Jr. AND Sr. a lot of credit. Suns were forced to play our way at our pace. I was also a bit concerned about leaving some starters in late after Phoenix obviously conceded the win, but they were hardly expending much energy on the court up over 20 points at that point in the game.

Way to go Pistons!!!! Hope Chauncey's groin injury isn't too serious, but Flip Jr. sure as hell was able to step up when needed.......hope we see more of that down the road!!:cheerleader:

12. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Thanks for all the kind comments, I really enjoy being in my rookie season here at the Pistons.forum. A few more things about the game that are worth commenting on. One is Sheed's technical. As I said I was really close and could see all the action and it was after Sheed had made a great shot and Phoenix had called a time out. A tech was called and Flip Saunders was on the floor getting ready to talk to his team and he initially thought it was on him. He was yelling out to the officials and putting his hands up in a questioning manner saying "what was that for" and Violet Palmer the official closest to Flip put up her 3 fingers and then six fingers to indicate Sheed was the culprit. Sheed did not even protest and if it was for responding to the crowd, well I was one of the crowd and he never even looked at us the whole game. There was one obnoxious Suns fan who had been drinking too much beer that kept yelling out to Sheed "why don't you go back to rehab" and other such nonsense and you could clearly hear that all the way on the court and Sheed did not dignify that with any response.

Being at a game live is so intoxicating, and just a treat to watch these finely tuned athletes in action. The Piston coaches are so nurturing and involved with the players. At one timeout I saw Dave Cowens go down to talk to Carlos very intently about how to position himself when he was on the floor. They kept pointing down to the end of the court where Carlos was working on guarding his man. Also Flip Jr. wears his emotions on his face, when he got burned by Nash at one point you could see the dark cloud start to come out. He immediately got a pep talk by Terry Porter at the next timeout and that seemed to calm him down.

The one obvious thing to notice at the line-up announcements is how Phoenix is really short on big men. Stoudamire is really a power foward playing in the center position, and the Pistons never fell into playing a smaller line-up to try to match up to Phoenix, they went with their biggest line-up and made Phoenix pay in the end. At one point our line-up was CWebb, Sheed, Tay, Flip and Delfino -- and that was the group that put alot of hurt on the Suns.

Arizona is a haven for ex-Michiganders, and they have very active Michigan clubs both in Tucson and Phoenix. I would get very nice comments from the other Pistons fans in the concourse when I walking to my seats and we were badly outnumbered in the cheering for our team but I did hear some love for the boys when a good play was going down.

Chauncey was smiling and seemed really happy during his time on the bench so that seems to be a good sign on his groin injury. So reading the Freep this morning it appears this has been ongoing and he just kept it under wraps. I think Mr. Big Shot's days of breaking ankles with a killer move are probably best behind him so he needs to ichsnay on the fancy footwork and stick with the basics.

13. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

congoman, thanks for the tip. I do not have broadband and have been considering it. However, I am so pi$$ed at NBA League Pass for blacking out the Piston games that I will not give them another penny. Just because the Pistons air their games over a hundred miles from me, NBA decides I am not worthy of hearing them on LP.

Stubborn old f@rt, I know, but I have had enough. I am not even going to get LP for almost $200. next year.

Hopefully, FoxSports will carry most of the rest of them so I can get them. And in the post season, we have networks.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lapeapod, I did not have to read any press article to know Billups was moving slow, and needed some time off. Too bad it had to go this way instead of the coach simply limiting his minutes until he healed.

15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this was our best game of the year. best-coached, best-disciplined, best-executed. saunders AND the team stuck to the game plan. if murray's been able to humble himself and stop all of the 'i've always been a scorer, i can't do anything else' crap, he just might be useful...

16. Stons-n-Suns

Stons-n-Suns Second Round Draft Pick

As a fan of both teams I was hoping for a great game. Instead it was a Pistons beat down after the half. Which is fine, but still, when my 2 favorite teams slug it out I'd like a somewhat classic game :D.

Either way, the Pistons played amazing D, they hit their shots, the post up play was awesome. Cwebb is really what this team needed, a guy who can get to the rim, throw it down, and clean up the offensive glass. He may not be young anymore, but he is playing like an All Star on this team and looks happy doing it.

Sheed is just amazing when he is feeling it, he drained his 3's played awesome D, and pretty much made Stoudamire a non factor despite his double double.

That being said, Chauncey's injury may not look serious but its not the best thing when you want to make a stretch run to keep the best record in the east and gel things together before the playoffs. I think we should sit him 2-3 games, and then make a push.

Flip Jr. played pretty damn good. Now, I assure you this won't happen anytime soon, but he definately abused Nash and had quick hands. Hopefully he can play at that level with Chauncey possibly out, but I sadly am not counting on it.

As a Suns fan, I can also say the Suns were really off tonight. The 3s werent falling, Amare looked tired, and Nash obviously couldn't dictate tempo. Don't take this win as an indication we could destroy them in a 7 game series, the Suns are dangerous, but if their game isn't on they will lose. Unlike a team like our Pistons who can survive an off night with good D and 5 guys who can score 20+ on any night.

But, this win proves we can hang with the best of the west, as we have beaten Dallas in their place once this season.

Go Pistons, and I'm hoping this is the finals, Det. vs. Phx, it would be a hell of a series.

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Flip Murray is playing smart and running the offense. He will get playing time if he keeps this up.

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

My mom kept saying that Prince guy should drink coffee before the games LOL. He does look lethargic lately. It's funny b/c when he was taken out, he was pissed telling Flip "I'm not tired" . . .

19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Wow. What a fun game. I just got to see it. Its day and night with Webber on the team. This team is fun to watch when they go inside. Sheed workin' it. Webber making sweet passes. People actually cutting. Loved watching the guys on the bench cheering the team on.

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Webber has got this team to play to it's strengths. I did not think C Webb would do THIS good here.