at Toronto Raptors Friday January 14 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'January 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A lot of times this season we have gone to Tay in iso down the stretch (hell, the whole game!) and I would much prefer Stuckey in an iso. Stuckey has the power and quickness to take his man to the basket on most occasions. He also has a better jumpshot. Tay only has his half hook that takes 15 seconds to eventuate.

I would definitely prefer having Stuckey running this play down the stretch than Tay. To be a good iso player you need to be able to:
    a) get to the basket one-on-one and score
    b) get to the basket and make a good pass
    c) get yourself a decent jumpshot

A number of times today when Prince went iso he held the ball for far too long before even beginning the move (nothing new there), but the problem is he then ended up bailing out with a pass to an already covered perimeter player with limited time left on the shot clock. It achieved nothing.

All that said, McGrady is superior to both players in an iso. I would bench Tay down the stretch and have Stuckey, T-Mac, Gordon (3pt threat) playing the wings.

PS - The defense in this game was terrible by both teams.
  2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

A great summation.

Did you notice the fly-on-the-wall? Stuckey pulled up on two shots. He made both. This is a huge frame of reference for him.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I didn't notice the fly on the wall but I noticed the Rip on the bench. If Stuckey can continue to hit that pull up J it'll do wonders for his game and really help this team.
  4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Impressive game by Mac. He got a lot of minutes though, I hope Q won't overplay him so he breaks down again. He played 36 min yesterday so hopefully he gets some rest tonight. Make sure he's healthy til the transfer window closes for the season.

GM is improving rapidly. He's got some problems in defense but I think he'll figure that out with time, but he looks alot more comfortable now when finishing a the rim.

I hope Q continues with this rotation and keeps starting GM when Ben returns. 15 MPG off the bench is enough him.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Tay hit probably the biggest shot of the game last with his short turnaround J with a few minutes to go.

I would honestly prefer the Pistons turn and kick the ball into the stands rather than give the ball to Stuckey in the 4th Q. Is he even averaging 6 pts a game in the 2nd half? He is inching closer to his role though which is good.

Wilcox and Monroe compliment one another nicely. Monroe played over 37 minutes last night. That is very impressive. I'd like to see him start to be more of a presence on the D glass.

It is amazing how easily T-Mac can get to the hoop despite everything he has lost.

It sounds like the Pistons are really gelling according to the papers. That is a big step.

Pistons players want Richard Hamilton back in action | detnews.com | The Detroit News
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

He, I mean we, I mean Q, may have found a position and role for the super collider, Stuckey played a great game in that role that suits him pretty well and Stuckey Nation isn't pleased because it's not the role THEY want for him. I think Stuckey is best suited to play off the ball for 25mpg, even when he was starting at the Point and playing 35mpg he only gave us 25 good minutes anyway.

With T-Mac starting with him in the backcourt it still allows Stuckey (one of our better on ball defenders) to guard the One, also on the offensive end, because T-Mac is 6'8" teams are still going to match up there (smaller) PG's against Stuckey so we continue to have that advantage.

With Stuck playing playing the Two, the ball is out of his hands and my frustration level watching these games is going down dramatically.
  7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'll take Stuckey off the ball for 25 minutes and on the ball for 10 minutes rather than give any point time to Bynum, Gordon or Prince any day of the week.

And the point is, there's no way to justify Stuckey getting 25 minutes last night, while all of the starters played at least 30 minutes per game. Someone help explain to me how Prince played 34 minutes last night when he played like absolute garbage. He's the only one on this team who's minutes never get touched, regardless of how he plays.
  8. Mr. Big Shot

Mr. Big Shot First Round Draft Pick

Kuester loves him as other coaches love their superstar, for whatever reason. As far as the fourth quarter goes though, I would rather have both Ben Gordon and Tayshaun taking the shots. T-Mac ahead of them both by a mile. BG may be stinking it up this year, but he is a proven player in the clutch, and isn't afraid of big moments. I feel like in a half court offense that Tayshaun can get a better shot than Rodney too. Refs are more hesitant to bail people out with small fouls late in games. So like Kgreg said, you need to be able to drain shots.
  9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Jump shooting teams rarely, if ever win championships.

And, like I said, I'm more of a believer in game situational coaching than coaching on past history. Stuckey was having a fantastic game; Gordon and Prince were not. Stuckey was having his way with Calderon, don't see that changing in the fourth quarter unless they started doubling him. There was no excuse for him to miss the entire quarter period.