At Utah Feb. 27th, 9:00 PM

Discussion in 'February 2008' started by Dlev59, Feb 26, 2008.

1. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Status Quo, huh. That's gonna bite 'em in the pooper. Book it.
  2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Amare scored 30something and Cactus is just old...It's funny how fans try to find savior from the bench. But this game went this way, tomorrow it could have been different.

And when you feel you need to accuse somebody, please do not use the word "always"...

please, shut this site down, seems that pistons run for glory has ended.Sarcasm
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Amare scores 30 something on many, he's a one-dimensional player who pays attention only on offense.
  4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Yeah Zoo, but he can say " SHEED, GET YOUR WIDE #$$% OUT THERE AND COVER MEMO, U STUPID PIECE OF @#$$! dumb@!##$$#@!
  5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Actually, Amare scored quite a bit of that 30 on Sheed and Dice as well. You can't pin his getting 30 on just AJ.
  6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

LOL. Yup. Not in Flip's personality though.
  7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

ya know, i'm normally pretty calm. if we lose, whatever. but for some reason i got more and more upset as the game went on and yelled out some pretty nasty things to the tv. why did i get upset? let's see...

- it was clear the bigs got tired in the 4th, they didn't close out on shooters like okur and making sheed log 20 mins in the 1st half...what the f
    - interviewing memo after the game and being all buddy-buddy; are you f'ing kidding me? i don't care if he played in detroit, he just owned your team and you're going to give him an interview?
    - blaha. love you man, but that sugarcoating was f'ing nauseating. you call a game exciting when we get absolutely destroyed in the 2nd half? you non-chalantly say 'the pistons have elected not to play amir tonight' and that's it? you make it sound like we not only won, but were subjected to a good basketball game, when it was total horsepoop. call it like it is.
    - utah was on a back-to-back and had far more energy? bull.

there were very few positives in this game. dice was great in the 1st quarter and rip was great in the 1st half. stuckey and rip have found a nice rhythm together, and he looked pretty comfortable out there. stuckey also played pretty good defense on deron and prevented him from driving the lane. maxiell was a beast (yet only got 21 mins in a 3-man rotation?).

at least we developed stuckey a little bit more so the game wasn't a total loss, but other than that the game was garbage. afflalo got outmuscled, the starters played too many minutes, we forced the offense and got too many charging calls, and we played 1-on-1 basketball in the 2nd half while different pistons took turns playing hero and hoisting 3s. rip was 2-of-9 in the 2nd half. flip refused to call timeouts during utah's big run. we refused to play defense in the 2nd half.

i really, really hope joe tells flip that he can start looking for another job if amir gets another DNP on the year. he earned his time. he started getting the newspaper love and attention. he was making a difference. and he was perfect for this game to take advantage of utah's slow big men.

i've been pretty lenient regarding flip's coaching all year, as i think he's done a fair job, and over the past 2 months has done very well with developing the bench unit. but today he reverted back to his old habis, and not only did it cause a loss but it needlessly overplayed our starters and eliminated bench development time. listen, we're not catching boston for the 1st seed. with 24 games to go, we could most likely lose every single one and still make the playoffs. play the damn bench every game and don't wimp out like a little scared wussy.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well Pistons blow 18 point lead as Flip rides the starters to long in the third and secumb to jazz for the umptenth time. A scrub off the bench that the Pistons didn't scout >Paul Millsap burned them in the paint in the second qtr and most of the 4th for 19 points. Not sure why AJ didn't play, but if the jazz didn't scout him he could have had a similar affect on them (not points) but could have played better defense than Dice and Sheed did in both qtrs.

Once Millsap sat in the last 3 mins of the game, the Pistons thought they had solved their inside problems, but they ignored Memo and he burned them for 3 three balls.

The Jazz attacked the rim and scored 52 points in the paint to our 34. They also took four offensive fouls for the team with DW and Harpring disrupting the Pistons drives. The Pistons were in the bonus at the 7 min mark of the 4th, but only took 4 FT afterwards.. Max played a good game but he flamed out too. Where was AJ?? Where is Dale Davis?:sssh::)...

Pistons were in it until the end, but it's hard to win games when you have only 3 assists in the entire second half...Funny how Sheed had a perfect game vs the Suns and has barely showed up these past two games....oh yeah he was 2-12 from the field tonight.
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Amare scored alot on Sheed as pointed out and padded his stats in a blowout. We were in the exact same position in the Suns game, when Amir replaced Max and we closed out with a great run. Amir has been playing extremely well. Who can deny that? I don't see how wanting him to get conisistent PT, and play when he should be in is seeing him as a savior. This game didn't just go away. It was lost for specific reasons; reasons we continually lose in the post-season.

----

I don't really get what you mean by the 2nd quote?

----

And as for the Pistons run of glory, prepare to be disappointed again in the playoffs w/ these adjustments, and this rotation. It's happened for the last two years. I don't understand why anybody would give Flip the benefit of the doubt after our last two post-seasons, or give him a pass for not playing 2 crucial bench players.

I made a post about this last time, that the lack of AA and AJ have been a preety consistent marker in our losses because contrary to what Flip believes defense still wins games, and it still wins championships. Ask the Spurs.

This is the angriest i've been after a loss in a very long time.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is the precise problem.
  12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

btw we shot 35 free throws, utah shot only 17.

the only other positive that could come from this loss, besides the ones i described above, is that flip gets it through his head that amir actually contributes to wins...or joe beats it into his brain for him.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Kind of got a chuckle out of this one. How can blank come in here after this one and say Amir played poorly. He did not play. Of course, he will manage to rip on Afflalo I am sure. Yeah, right, Afflalo lost it for certain in his few minutes he got per half.

Anyone else noticed what happened tonight? The apologists got their way tonight. Mercury, Wisefan, anyone else want to take responsibility for giving Flip Saunders any trust? Flip abused it tonight, in his relentless drive to fail. No, I am not being funny. Its not funny. Pathetic describes this game tonight. Rip starts off great, but is given no rest in the game. He does squat in the 2nd half. Sure he finally managed to get some points down the stretch, but nothing in the whole 2nd quarter, and nothing for most of the 4th quarter. In fact, Rip quit hitting shots late in the 2nd quarter. This was after all his 3rd game in 4 nights. Rip got precious little rest two nights ago either. This is horrid coaching on a grand scale.

Big man rotation. Some people fret about us bringing Davis back to the team for him being too old. Well, check out the geriatric unit we currently use for our starting bigs. No, they are not too old, just too old to play the kind of minutes Saunders imagines they can play. Another terrible job of coaching.

Hayes did play enough to rest Tay. Not that Hayes hardly did a thing out there. He did hit one shot. Made a couple of free throws.

Dyess bricked too many of his pretty much meaningless outside shots. You mean to tell me we can't get a guard to take those shots? He did cut inside a few times to make it not a totally worthless game from him.

Maxiell was 7 for 7 from the line. Millsap abused him though with greater height. Millsap is a pretty darn good player. So maybe you want some help out D against him. Something Amir could have provided with his quickness, if allowed to play.

CB also had some energy in that 2nd half. Playing Stuckey a lot is something Flip is doing right. For the game, Stuckey was so so. Decent D, an assist here and there. He continues to drive to the basket a lot. Mixed results tonight. But those fouls he draws we need more of for sure.

In sum, Flip did one thing right, play Stuckey a lot. His big man rotation consisting of just his 3 guys, Dyess, Sheed, and Maxiell, was totally inadequate. Rip did not rest enough by a darn sight. I would give him an E, but I don't feel generous tonight. A solid F. Failure. What he drives for. People, please do not encourage his self destructive behaviour. Demand that we develop the bench. If Flip says he does not believe in doing so, ask him kindly to resign his coaching position.

Yes, we had an 18 point lead. But who out there really thought we were going to win after they saw these two things happen: Rip came back with no rest in the first half. Amir did not play in the 2nd quarter. How could anyone believe we would have the energy needed to win the game in the 2nd half. Just because Flip has no clue, I would hope that even if you are supporting the guy, that you are not so clueless as to understand why we lost this game. Fatigue. Fatigue totally unnecessary. Fatigue caused by bad coaching. If you like Flip as a person, and want him to succeed as a coach, tell him to play the bench or get out of town. Take his choice. But don't stay here and fail this team.

Note, a lot of this was aimed at posters at the detnews.com board. Sorry if anyone here takes offense.
  14. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Seconded. I tried to stay calm, but..it's hard.

Edit: Did anyone manage to catch the post game? Someone mentioned that Sloan was "surprised" Detroit didn't put Amir on Milsap.
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Lee, you could earn some money for writing Latin-America soap scenarios. Your style is sooo melodramatic!
  16. LA Dre

Agree with you Lee...once the Jazz started eating into that lead in the second with no Amir, you knew he was going to be a DNP for the whole game as Flip was going to ride starters.

SHeed looked tired as soon as he came back into the game in the second.....If AJ was good enough to play vs Shaq, Amare, Camby and Kmart, then he was good enough to earn time vs Boozer, AK47 and Millsap.

I heard part of Flips post game excuses, but didn't hear anyone ask him why AJ didn't play. This reminded me of the Portland and Sacramento losses on the first west coast trip where Flip rode the starters for 38+ mins and they were running on fumes in the end and couldn't stop the other team who was faster, younger and more athletic...
  17. LA Dre

A question that Joe should ask Flip too...:sssh:
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

If no one in the press mentions this or asks Flip about it, i'm going to be livid. Things like this make me love the NY media.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Since when was this a bad thing? :)

[​IMG]
  20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think Flip must be the only one not surprised.