At Utah Jazz Jan. 10th, 9:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 3, 2009.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: At Utah Jazz Jan. 10th, 10:00 PM

Detroit at Utah:

2008: lost 103-95
    2007: lost 103-101
    2006: lost 92-78
    2005: lost 108-93
    2004: lost 94-86
    2003 (11/6/2002) : won 80-78

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Remember the Clippers also were without Baron Davis and Zach Randolph..but we still had to steal that one a last second goal tend. With that being said, the last three games have gone down to the wire but with Stucky limited and AI and Tay playing major minutes last night, I would be surprised if we can hang tonight unless Amir stays out of foul trouble, Sheed trades his velour sports jack for a jersey and Bynum plays and actually contributes.

But alas, I will be here cheering them on instead of taking the wife out for dinner and a movie:ballchain
  3. LA Dre

Thanks Bill, I think I read that if the Pistons lose tonight this would be the sixth straight sweep of the jazz over the Pistons ~~ 12 straight games....:dizzy2:

looks like we got a win Detrot in 2005 so forget the sis straight sweeps
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yep, thanks Bill.

I drove there with my family to watch the game in 2005 (or was it 2006). Last NBA game I saw live. A long drive to see a poor performance.
  5. LA Dre

Is there a chat tonight?? The game is already on and about to start?
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I thought the game was at 10:00??/
  7. roscoe36

8. roscoe36

GAME IS ON NOW.
  9. LA Dre

Remind me not to hang out with you in Vegas.:wacko:..Most of knew it would be an upset if we won, but you have the play games first before you put it in the W-L column

Okur set the tone in this game and at one point it was Memo 8, Pistons 2. That gives memo a 9-1 record vs the Pistons since he picked up his Pistons championship ring.

The Pistons tried to make a game of it with even Stuckey delivering 19 points with a bum back... Curry played him 33 mins despite the back spasms and Tay who was run running on fumes played 31..

Amir picked up 6 fouls in 8 mins:dizzy2:so Sheed had to come in and he clearly was not ready, but still managed score 8 pts and grab 4 boards.

Back to Amir...2 fouls in the first 4 mins of the game. 2 fouls in the first 2 mins of the 3rd qtr including back to back fouls in 10 seconds. Then he came back in the 4th qtr and picked up two fouls in 2 minutes.. our best offensive rebounder can't help out because he is saddled on the bench with SILLY fouls

AI was tired too, 4-13 shooting and being harassed all night long by a guy who was shorter than him >Ronnie Price..

This game actually had a negative end of the quarter trend to it. let me spell it out for those who missed it.
    > First quarter Pistons close the gap to 19-15 only to see the Jazz close it the qtr on a 13-6 run to lead 32-21 after 1

>2nd qtr, Pistons cut the lead down to 51-47 with 2:03 left only to see the Jazz close quarter on 6-0 run for a 10 point halftime lead.

>3rd qtr, teams trade hoops for most of the quarter until Pistons close the gap to 70-64 with a little less than 3 mins left. Jazz close qtr on a 9-0 run to lead 79-64 at the end of 3.

>4th qtr Pistons appear to have thrown up the white towel and jazz stretch run out to 20-3 run and 25 point lead. This time Pistons finish game on a 5-0 run after Jazz hit the 99 mark and Sloan being a gentleman calls off the dogs..

Go home and get some rest boys...look likes Rip will be in the lineup Tuesday and then we got to deal with who starts and who sits...
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, all I can say is I'm glad I didn't make the drive up to Salt Lake City on this coooold night.
  11. roscoe36

lo, Our friend is just enthusiastic. To be honest, I thought we might be able to squeak out a win as well, but the team just fell apart a couple minutes before the half...

Didn't really understand the point of running Sheed out there, visibly in pain.
  12. coynejeremy

I was actually still holding out towards the end of the third quarter, but that was about the time that it turned into a bloodbath. Man I'm glad I didn't spend money to go to that embarrassment. Oh well - go home and rest, guys. You deserve it.
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

haven't watched yet but sounds like a tired-loss and i'll be able to skip through the game in about 30 mins
  14. coynejeremy

I hope you don't spend that much time on it.

:hanged2:
  15. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Amir Johnson...8 minutes - 2 points - 6 fouls - 0 rebounds. I don't get it. When will he? :frusty:
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Bad endings to the 2nd and 3rd quarters helped do us in. But a coaching move turned the game into a slaughter for Utah. Curry went small toward the beginning of the 4th quarter, and we were toast.

I see some "we can't beat Utah" sentiment. Well, the Pistons kept fighting back and this was a close game just a couple of minutes from the end of the 3rd quarter. Of course we can beat Utah. This was Sheed's first game back. Curry stuck with the Amir / Kwame combo to start each half, even though it did not fit. Hey Curry, you don't have to stick with the same starting unit every game. Memo and Millsap? Kwame and Sheed seems to be the way to go there. And Amir? Why not play him at small forward in this game. Oh that's right, you have never played Amir at small forward, ever. Not prepared.

Stuckey had a bad back. He still did ok, but not great on D by any means. And yes he stood around on O a bit. He has a bad back, not very mobile, not able to move. What else could he do. Bynum got to play again, and looked decent enough. In my opinion, this whole mess with Stuckey's back started with Curry's reluctance to find some more time for Bynum instead of playing Stuckey 40 plus minutes.

Herrmann played, did nothing. We did ok with him for a stretch in the 2nd quarter. I'll have to look at the boxscore to see if Tay actually played less this game. Oh, that won't work, since this ended up a blowout for Utah and Tay got some rest in the 4th. In any event, rest is good.

Sheed played inside some, scored a bit. Missed a couple of three tries. Decent D.

Amir did nothing as he was in foul trouble immediately and stayed in foul trouble. Yes, the refs call any contact, even perceived contact that is not real, a foul on Amir. He is getting zero respect. Hang in there. These kind of nights happen.

JMAX played some good minutes for us. Tay did little, although he did hit a triple. Afflalo hit a couple of shots, made some free throws, but playing him as a small forward in this one did not work at all on defense. This points up a huge need to get an actual small forward to back up Tay. The playoffs are soon. Dumars must address this need.

AI got inside on them a bit. Stuckey hit a couple of outside shots and got inside for some oldfashioned type 3 point plays. Dyess, pretty much nothing but some bounds. Kwame, nothing really bad.

Utah had a lot of guys hitting a lot of shots. A lot of that was off plays on the perimeter to get guys open. All night. But again, they hit those shots. They ran those plays well. Good coached team. Good shooting. Goodnight.
  17. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

I wouldn't rely too heavily on the results of this game. There is no tougher road trip (especially on a back to back) that is tougher on physical/mental challenges then the mountain states. The altitude is a killer and with very close games, it works its way into mental factors.

This team is still learning with little stability in most positions. Some positives:
    • 1-2 combination will not fold throughout the entire game. This is a much tougher team in the last 5 minutes. This will come in handy during the playoffs and a very dangerous assest to have.
    • Afflalo is getting better. Depending on the style of play; he might be your strongest asset, combining offensive (especially this part) and defensive intensity. He's going to get better and better.
    • Dyess if very solid. He rarely makes silly mistakes. Solid 15 ft. face up jumper and fights (with outstanding positioning) for all rebounds.
    • JMAX has shown he can mix it up and he needs that running start for his high-end rebounds. Has anyone ever seen him dribble the ball? Needs to hit the short jumper, or actually, any jumper.
    • Can this be possible? Perhaps the biggest positive showing is having Tay say, and begin to show, that "the little train can." Except for this last game, he took charge and led the team with confidence. If he keeps this up, I might have to so some serious rethinking about this guy. To me, he is the ace-in-the-hole for some serious trade maneuvering.
    • Curry looks more comfortable, although I have some reservations on his high-end strategic thinking in player substitutions.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Lee hit the nail square on the head. For the record: I'M SICK OF LOSING TO UTAH WTF!!!!!
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's no big deal.

[​IMG]
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Them Utah announcers are rough to listen to.

DET showed off its' new face by methodically cutting into the lead over and over but just had too many dumb plays tonight. Still nice to see them not try to 3 their way back into it.

Great half time show out there. Here was my favorite part.

Random white guy: Memo's got 20 so far. I doubt he'll end up with 40. Thurl, who else might step it up in the second half?

Thurl Bailey (With all the enthusiasm of someone in a hostage video): I don't know (Shrugs his shoulders), Deron Williams or someone else.

Thanks for the insight Thurl. As Mike Curry might say your contribution to the half time show will never show up in the broadcast or ratings.