At Washington Wizards Dec. 9th 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 4, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The reason this is disappointing is b/c it was wholly unnecessary. We essentially f'ed ourselves. And i appreciate the winning seasons as well which is why breaking up a team that was in contention every year is just absurd to me especially when you fire a coach, and hire a new one to "change" the atmosphere.

I would rather be watching the core making another run whether they ultimately won or not than watching a team as disjointed, sad, and awful as this one. It was going to end eventually but it didn't have to end like this. Alot of people are going to be disappointed when this elusive cap space does not yield anywhere near the return they were expecting.

This is very debatable. More talented does not mean better.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Hunh? :rolleyes:
  3. roscoe36

No, it was necessary. Just like the current recession is necessary. Creative destruction is painful.

Yeah, but go back and read the comments from last year and the year before. Contending was no longer good enough. Coming in 4th every year was losing attendance and interest in the team. I know the forum was stagnating, even this season, prior to the AI trade, there was no buzz, our traffic was way down...

Better toughen up. Life doesn't work that way. Comfort is fleeting, not the status quo.

Maybe. Maybe not. I wake up every day, I open the chat a couple times a week, I call the Low on Sundays for the podshow because I have hope. Life is too miserable without hope, and a smile as armour against a cruel world.
  4. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

The Sixers improved their record after getting rid of Webber and Iverson in 2006. They weren't that good, but they improved.

And here, too. At least as someone who is a better individual player than Chauncey, we are worse. AT LEAST with him in the starting lineup. I think he can help the second unit. But what is happening now in the starting lineup is fitting a square peg in a round hole. I'd love to see if people are going to blame TGRH today. That never gets old. He's not the problem.

He's not as good as you think he is. Don't pretend to not see it.
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I disagree.

It wasn't contending that wasn't good enough. It was the repetitive outcome with Flip and the lack of effort. With winning and playing hard, the fans will come back. It's that simple. This team had to earn the fans trust back, and IMO would have done it.

IMO hope is overrated. I'm more concerned with the now. We have very different views on life.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I've been pretty pro-Curry, but this was just insane. I'm sick of the smallballs strategy.

The positives:
    Rip was hitting his shot for a while.
    Sheed played a nice all around game. Both these guys went on tilt for a little while, but still nice overall.
    Stuckey with a bunch of assists and some great slashes to the rim without the ball.
    Tay was rebounding.
    AI did a few things well.
    McGee, Stevenson, and D. Brown all started for Wash and scored 5 points total.

The negatives:
    The unexplained benching of 2 previous starters + Maxiell for no reason.
    Sheed only played 26 minutes on a night with 3 bigs out.
    Juan Dixon, former Det bench dweller, was +33 and kicked our butt.
    Caron Butler having his way with us and filling the stat sheet.

I strongly agree with the earlier comment (maybe from Lee) that if this 3 guard junk won't work in the post season against Cle or Bos, then why are we wasting time on it?
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It looked to me like Curry was sending Sheed a message. What that message is i'm pretty sure only he understands.
  8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I strongly agree with the earlier comment (maybe from Lee) that if this 3 guard junk won't work in the post season against Cle or Bos, then why are we wasting time on it?[/quote]
    because Curry doesnt have the
    1 nutz to bench either ai or rip
    2 knowledge to see what needs to be done
    3 any idea what hes doing
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

2-0 with Chauncey, 2-0 with no Chauncey or AI and 7-9 with AI. But who's counting:crossed:

You would not expect that the team would crumble without him, but right now it is happening before our eyes and you just have to expect the losses until either MC , Joe or Elaine Powell runs the point.
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Did anybody see the post game ?

Apparently Curry threw the team under the bus; he said they were mentally and physically weak, don't play defense, and basically insinuated that they aren't the same guys that were "championship" contenders.

Can anyone confirm or specify?

He's obviously panicking. What happened to taking some responsibility and blame ? Apparently, his line-ups are fantastic.
  11. roscoe36

Well now you have a different outcome, so at least we can say glass half full? :)

If it was, you would have given up already. Remember, I'm the cranky realist and you are the hopeful optimist.

And a properly managed now, can lead to a prosperous future. No team gets to the top and stays there. That's not how it works.

You have no idea. :D But we can still be friends. :thumb[1]:
  12. roscoe36

Can you back that up with stats?
  13. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

5-12 before

30-35 after

lol, not much. but i remember the Sixers just stumble for like 10 games after the trade, and in March-April I believe they went on a little run (which I will try to back up).

They weren't too hurt by it. They were bad before and pretty bad after, but at least they played better with Andre Miller running the point.

EDIT: Andre didn't suit up until the team was 7-20. December 26, 2006.

25-18 from 1/19 to the end of the season.
  14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

It was clear that this year might be the last chance for this group of players. I was already prepared to accept that next year and so on will be already rebuilding and free agent hunting stage . BUT: before this trade window was still open, this group had a realistic chance to win vs Boston. It has been discussed plentifully.

Two interesting notes:
    1. With this trade Dumars announced how it makes team better. In the light of your post he blatantly lied.
    2. Dumars did not believe that even with MC and better used bench this group was able to fight with Boston. For him window was already closed?
  15. roscoe36

It may have come a year early.

I have some beachfront property to sell you in Saskatchewan.

He either lied or he was wrong. What, people don't think Joe tells a story now and again? He's not Jesus.

If Joe saw that, I would really be quite pleased. Because it means he's seeing things sharply.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

It was a horrid job of coaching. By the Wizard's coach. Why it took the guy more than 60 seconds to adjust to our too small team, I can't imagine. Anyway, they started a rookie center by the name of McGee, and Sheed looked great hitting shots over the rookie. Tay got 6 rebounds in the first few minutes. But then reality set in, the other coach started coaching, and Tay for instance, one rebound over the next 30 minutes of playing time. No Ty, Tay is not a power forward; this team is missing its center to injury, and Tay was hopelessly outclassed on the boards most of the game.

Back to our coach. Curry failed to put an NBA ready team on the floor most of the game. JMAX, Amir, two of our best players, did not play. Kwame did not play. The closest we got to a decent unit was toward the end of the 3rd, beginning of the 4th. There we had Dyess and Sheed in together, and you can consider Dyess a center, Sheed a power forward. Of course, they are too slow to paired together, but at least we had what you could call an NBA team in the game.

Lets talk about Herrmann. Its one thing for Curry to praise Herrmann after he just had a 1-6 game where he gave up a bunch of points by being to slow to close out on shooters. But to actually believe it, and play the guy nearly a whole quarter while Washington tore into him is way beyond belief. Herrmann had another poor night shooting. Another game where he was lousy, not even NBA acceptable on rotations or transition D, just one bucket made to counter that, and on top of that, Washington just loved to have an easy target to attack. Yeah, Curry, guess what, you were too slow to play in your last 3 years, and playing Herrmann is not going to prove anything else. If you are too slow, you should not be in the NBA.

There was some good stuff. But more bad first. It was a bad joke on us Pistons fans to watch Rip getting beat up by Butler so terribly. Look, the guy only took 15 shots to score 33 points. (Yes, I checked the boxscore on that, something I usually do not do, but I was too curious.) Worse, Rip had no center much of the time to back him up (as Dyes played extensively and that is about zero interior defensive rotation) nor an actual NBA power forward. How pathetic a setup can you imagine. Anyway, I promised something good. Rip had his shot going great, and he even did well driving in a few times. Good offensive game for him, lousy position they put him in on the defensive end.

Bynum got in for 5 minutes, looked pretty darn good. He came out of the game because I guess the vets must have complained that it was their turn to lose a game. Err, I mean play.

Afflalo did not score, but his defense was great, and the team looked great on some fast breaks with him in. Matter of fact, even with Herrmann in the game, Afflalo rotates so well it hides a lot of that. Or course, it matters not how well Afflalo was playing D, it was time for some so called vet to get him minutes, earned or not.

Dyess looked very rusty on O, but he did get position inside and scored a few times. Thats good. And he does play with force. Just no lateral movement. Him in the game with no other big is the equivelent of sending out invitations to them for a layup drill. Washington accepted with pleasure.

I get a kick on how out of touch Kelser can be with what is going on in front of him. Sorry, we all love you Mr. Kelser, but you put your darn foot in your mouth at times. As Washington was putting a good solid run on us, Kelser was going on about how Washington was not spreading the floor. Gee, they were relentlessly attacking our middle, the perfect coaching move, and the players were executing the plan to perfection. Gee, it must be nice having a coach to help you out.

Stuckey did fine, nothing spectacular. Hit an outside shot. But was really lost on that first unit. Stuckey ain't going to get the scoring ops when AI and Rip, and Sheed, are taking all the shots.

Speaking of that, Tay supposedly has a speed mismatch we can exploit with the new silly experiment Curry has going? Really? Our most timid offensive player? Yeah, that did not happen. Tay was quiet as a mouse in this one of offense.

Well, I guessed it, Herrmann was the only big off the bench besides Dyess. (Note, I post this in two forums, so half the people reading this will not know what I am referring to.) If you can call Herrmann a big. Not. So the question remains. is Curry just trying to throw game so he can make an excuse for another change to the starting unit? If thats the case, his method is pretty darn pathetic. If he wants to make a change,just make it. Now, I really hope the other possibility people keep mentioning is not true, that Curry simply has lost it, does not have a clue further what he is doing. But, there is a lot of evidence of late that that is the case.

OK, at least he did play Bynum a bit. At least he did play Afflalo quite a bit. And its great that Stuckey is in the starting unit, where I do hope he stays. And even though completely the wrong person to play, Herrmann is another bench player who did get time out there. Its not all bad. Mostly pretty bad, but not totally the end of the world. Yet. Of course, if this insane use of small ball continues much longer, all bets are off.
  17. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Is their a way that David Stern can start betting on the Pistons? :stirthepot:
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wiki says:
    Edit: PA beat me to it. You guys are fast.
  19. roscoe36

Webber was also out, and AI missed games as well.

Look at his second season in Denver. First 50 win season for them in 20 years.

Look at the second season of Andre Miller. Not exactly the star spangled banner.

There are too many variables to make blanket statements like you made, with a very small set (two trades) of data.
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

On NBA TV tonight, C-Webb said that he when he was traded from the Kings to the Sixers, it hurt both teams and he never could get mesh with AI that first season.

The Glove said that he loves Joe and AI, but this was a bad trade and he should have let the new coach roll with CB.