At Washington Wizards Dec. 9th 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 4, 2008.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seems kind of clear to me too. Not sure what's going on over in Auburn Hills. I think it's an attempt to justify playing Prince 48 minutes a game. If he couldn't get that many minutes at SF, then they needed to open up a new position for him.

Last night was lost at the line. Ten fouls between Rip & Stuckey was the difference in the game (six in the 4th). Amir would have just made it worse. The Wiz outscored the Pistons by 14 from the line in a game with a 13 point margin.

Not really his fault, he's a guard, but Rip can't guard bigger players. He would have helped the team more to get a second tech in the third rather than commit four fouls in the fourth when the Pistons were trying to come back. Wiz were 14-14 from the line in the fourth.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Wow, he completely threw the team under the bus. He's right, this isn't the same championship team. But it is the same team that made it to all of those Eastern Conference Finals. Again, Joe's kryptonite since the firing of Larry Brown has been his approach toward hiring coaches. So, the question becomes...how long before Joe attempts to do something about this?
  4. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

5. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Our fellow forumite Menace mentioned that maybe Curry does not understand how his players are not able to play man to man D. MC as a player did it pretty well so probably MC don't get why his players can't do things what for MC himself were so simple to execute.

I'm not worried of rotations: those things fall finally in own place. D is THE problem now. ( And AI is not "envisioned" version of AI).

My theory is that MC wants to test his players in extreme situations: MC wants to see how far he can go. Flip only played players in their comfort positions. Once they were thrown out from comfort during Boston series they had no answer.

P. S. I rewieved some 2001 finals tapesome days ago: AI wasn't team player, he was only MUCH, MUCH quicker, just dribbled around traps and double D. His supporting staff only had to wait passes for shooting.

In D thanks to his quickness, he was able to recover from pick'n'rolls.
  6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i would add: this shouldn't be new to fans from the last 7 or 8 years unless they have amnesia about the team AND about themselves as fans. Let's see: The pistons not giving it their all everynight? check. Inexplicable losses to bad teams? check Inconsistency? Check. Those are just facts. Consult the PF archives if you doubt (and it's a shame there are none for the 2004-5 season, because that's when it was really glaring).
  7. roscoe36

Yeah, we opened 9/1/2005
  8. professor

27,Wed, Dec 27, 2006,@,New York Knickerbockers,L,3OT,145,151,18,9,L 1,
    28,Fri, Dec 29, 2006,,Indiana Pacers,L,,92,93,18,10,L 2,
    29,Sun, Dec 31, 2006,,Phoenix Suns,L,,101,108,18,11,L 3,

and before that:

56,Thu, Mar 3, 2005,@,Phoenix Suns,L,,97,100,36,20,L 1,
    57,Fri, Mar 4, 2005,@,Seattle Supersonics,L,,87,95,36,21,L 2,
    58,Sun, Mar 6, 2005,@,Sacramento Kings,L,,85,100,36,22,L 3,

and before that: shock! 4 in a row, during LB's second season!!!

38,Tue, Jan 18, 2005,@,Orlando Magic,L,,101,103,23,15,L 1,
    39,Fri, Jan 21, 2005,@,Milwaukee Bucks,L,,86,89,23,16,L 2,
    40,Sat, Jan 22, 2005,,Chicago Bulls,L,,89,100,23,17,L 3,
    41,Mon, Jan 24, 2005,@,Minnesota Timberwolves,L,,83,86,23,18,L 4,

But then, you know as well as I do, as everyone has been screaming for three years during the reign-of-Flip: who cares about regular season games!! It's all about getting out of the ECF and making it to the Finals!!

Except, of course, when we aren't winning record numbers of regular season games, then those matter too.

Not talking about you, Explo, but the selective memory on this forum is astonishing to me.
  9. professor

Do these fans have no faith?
  10. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

In my recent memory, our most consistent regular season was 2005-2006; Flip's first season. We eventually lost to Miami in the play-offs, who had a much more tumultuous regular season (trying to integrate several new vets, etc.)

Let's just say that I am glad that this team is being tested in Nov/Dec, rather than March or later.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

One of the many Piston problems is that they got too many maybe scorers starting. I think this is why they don't get those hustle plays. Someone like Sheed isn't (and probably can't) going to crash the O boards with reckless abandon, TGRH or AI isn't going to abandon scoring to focus on D and draw charges and Tay isn't going to stop imitating a corpse to play like a living being.

DET had these same problems before AI got here. To me the team did better when AA started by happenstance in place of The Griever last year because it forced them to be more decisive with the ball. The last few years DET has been like a see saw on offense. Sheed and TGRH play well and AI and Tay get lost. LB was somehow able to balance the scoring effectively. Adding AI, another 2, has only made it worse.

DET has zero help defense. How many times last night did you see 2 guys scrambling to cover one guy leading to chaos? They need to play D constantly. The last few years they've played it when they need to. Now they don't really play it all. How can you have 4 smalls on the floor and not defend a screen/roll? It is almost impossible.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Remember how strong our offensive rebounding was in the first week of the season? We were topping the league.
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I find Chris Webber to be pretty annoying. I like Gary Payton's analysis most of the time though.
    With Amir in the SL! And Max getting PT. Our guards rebounding was up as well. I don't get it. I thought Curry understood the importance of this. All our bigs played. It's like he is in a panic and abandoned the entire philosophy of the beginning of our season. It's also funny how the IND win we were a little disappointed with, but IND is actually good. Who knew. That win looks more quality as the days go by.
  14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

There was a pinch of sarcasm there, but honestly it really doesn't matter. It just means they'll be back on the bench in foul trouble earlier in the game. Whether it's their play or lack of leeway from the officials, whenever they get extended minutes, they aren't on the floor long enough to make anything more than a splash during a run because they end up right back on the bench with fouls.

So, whether Amir goes back to starting or they start Maxiell, or if Walter Hermann never gets to play another game in a Pistons uniform, the problems won't really get solved.

There's no point in wasting an opportunity to snag a great free agent when they are available, so trading AI's contract for anything right now would be foolish...

You're just going to have to ride this one out.
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Notice his fancy foreign spelling of the word armor.:graduate:
  16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't believe that. I'm so concerned about the lack of PT for the bigs, i'm not even concerned about AI right now. MC IMO has lost his mind and that's a more pressing issue. Max doesn't have a fouling problem, and regardless of Amir's fouling or not he still has a very positive impact on the game which is useful for any amount of time he's on the floor. Our lack of size is killing our rebounding and our defense. This game was won easily with a normal rotation.

When Amir stays on the floor in long stretches which he has done before he puts up the numbers/impact in 30+, and when he doesn't we can do it by committeee. We have enough valuable bigs to do that. Throwing Amir or Max or KB under the bus b/c of the problems that we're having is just making it worse b/c there not to blame and creating new ones.

Alot of our problems will be solved by a 2 big starting rotation especially if it's Amir/Sheed. And im crossing my fingers that this small ball experiment comes to an end very very fast.

If i'm interpreting this right, these are the lineups you would like to see.

Amir or KB/Sheed/Tay/Stuck/Rip or AA/AI

Amir or KB/Sheed/Tay/AA/AI ?
  17. roscoe36

Someone has to keep the Queen's English alive in North America. :work:
  18. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I've read everyone's comments on the game, and I don't know what to think.

:MusicBigGrin:
  19. raxrets

raxrets Starter

too smart comments for ya?

:D
  20. professor

it was a crappy game of the sort pistons fans ought to recognize as familiar over the past, say, six seasons (i.e. frustrating and inexplicable coaching decisions; poor defense and rebounding; inconsistent effort).