Atlanta Hawks Feb. 11th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'February 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 6, 2009.

1. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The worst that could happen is that we do not make a deal or fire the coach. At this point, something has to be done.

2. max

max All-Star

This is getting old. At least the games are close. Amir and Maxiel got plenty of mins out there. 1 Assist from Stucky all game.

3. max

max All-Star

Thats a definition of fun right there. Good news is that we actually have been gaining on the Bucks from falling back to the 8th seed.

4. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

I agree...preferrably both

5. nenerojer

nenerojer First Round Draft Pick

I can not see the Pistons in this state!!! But how many games we still have to lose??? Why Dumares has never made a decent trade??? Beacause Porter is still coach of Detroit???

ps Sorry for my nervousness but now 419 am and are very disappointed

By Roscoe my great friend:cheers:

6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

So our top line up consists of 3 twos, a three, and a four. No point or center. Medium small ball, I guess.

At some point Joe has to take the blame. He said he wasn't going to go in to rebuilding mode, yet here we are. And it's only going to get worse, kinda like TARP I.

Here's looking forward to TARP II (aka the Teal), when our best starting lineup is three 2's, and two 3's.

7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Coming into this game vs. Atlanta, here was the Hawks recent history in Detroit....

7 consecutive losses

3-24 in their last 27 at The Palace

Yet another streak ended in this infamous "Curry Era". The list grows longer by the day.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Buongiorno nene!

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sleepy crowd at the palace. That was the emptiest I've seen it since teal was in style.

First, the excuses. AI was playing the day after a flu (very well too). Sheed's knee was hurting him and limited his play and PT a lot. Stuck was playing through a mild ankle sprain and was limping... was obviously not himself. Anything else? I think Dyess turned his knee when he knocked out the camera man.

As far as the game went, I thought there were some positives. We were the ones getting the scoring in the paint. We won on the boards. We had less than 10 turnovers (2 really bad one's by Sheed after getting the defensive rebounds and 1 bad one by AI at the end).

This was just another one of those games where all was even or better, except for the free throws. We lost the game by 5 and ATL made 7 more free throws than us on 4 more attempts. AI 3-6 from the line.

Tay had a very nice all around game. AI had one of the smoothest games of the season for him. Even some 3-point action, which was great to see. He's only had 2 other games this year where he's hit more than 2 threes.

We seemed to let the game get away from us when we went through a scoring lull late in the 3rd quarter.

We only allowed 28 points in the paint, which is very good considering how we've been playing lately.

For us, 48 in the paint. So we outscored an opponent by 20 points in the paint!!! Probably the biggest margin of the year. AI and Rip were the main reason. Both of them got to the rim several times.

Overall, I thought we had a pretty nice dynamic going, but we just don't look like we have what it takes to will our way to victory anymore. When you are a premier defensive team, you can turn on that switch and your extra effort pays off. Now we have to depend on execution. It's much easier to force effort than execution.

Let's see what happens with the trades and then re-evaluate. We will be hurting record-wise as expected in the next 10 games, but our easy late-season schedule should mean that we can at least get into the post season. With a few new pieces, maybe a real identity can be formed.

10. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This loss and the lost streak come at right time, it could be a watershed here because our team has proven that they can't hang with any winning team this season and the rebuilding gotta OFFICIALLY carry out. Joe had held his words to get CB to his hometown (a classy act), MC has tried everything to avoid from publicly falling apart by playing the veterans to make them happy and another shot. All star weekend could be the right time to go another direction which our team hadn't paved in past years. Run the young guns (it's already late for at least 2 years) in remaind games to see what's their true color and what should be done in coming summer. Go Pistons.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Another loss.

So Sheed was apparently injured, and did not come back in for the last several minutes. So now does Flip play Amir or JMAX to end the game. Nope, he goes to small ball, something pretty much as bad as pairing Sheed and Dyess. JMAX in particular had one heck of a game going, being a monster around the offensive boards.

So we go with a three guard rotation at the end, including Rip, who is missing his shots all night. Why? Just so we can't have JMAX in there to give us more offensive rebounds? Maybe Curry is alergic to offensive rebounds.

In fairness, yes, Rip was checking Murray well, a guy who was having quite a good game for Atlanta. So sit Stuckey. It does not matter which one really, you can't ever expect to win without a power forward in the game. Just what does JMAX have to do to get some crunch time minutes?

Low turns for us. Just like I gave Billups the credit for that, just because he was the starting point guard, I will give Stuckey the credit tonight for the team not turning the ball over much. Stuckey hit an outside shot or two, got inside a bit. Nothing spectacular. Low or no assists.

AI looked great offensively. Lots of drives. Hit three triples. On defense, he contributed a few steals. He even hustled, going to the floor and getting a pass ahead to Rip for one of Rip's few scores tonight.

Tay did a bit of everything. But I don't know if I want Tay shooting outside shots in crunch time. At least not at the moment. Who knows, the fact he took the shots and missed might help him learn in the future. Its not that much of a stretch really. Rip came to us, for instance, not knowing how to score in crunch time. He was no rookie then either.

It was the end of the 4 games in 5 nights stretch. A killer on the legs for sure. Probably got to Rip. Probably got to a lot of players.

Dyess had a decent game. Made some jumpers, worked inside some for us, got double digit rebounds - including some in crunch time to keep it a game a bit longer.

Sheed? A bit of scoring.

Amir. Lots of hustle. Lots of helping on double teams. Let me see, last I checked, no, 4 fouls does not disqualify you from a game. Someone tell Curry. No reason to go to small ball to end the game.

In sum, not a terribly coached game. Again though, more due to fouls and injuries, no actual good decisions made by Curry. I am sure he would have paired Sheed and Dyess half the game if he could. And it really came to who had the hot bench player. We had a cold Rip Hamilton, they had an ultra hot Flip Murray. And oh, in contrast to Curry not rewarding JMAX for exceptional play - Flip Murray stayed out there.

12. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Honestly I've only been checking the forums to see if there's been a firing or a trade.

There is just a ridiculously grim outlook. Ain't no D-Wade or Bosh or Bron ever coming here, and that's actually a pretty rational claim. The Amare talk has started to subside. Our guys' values are at an all time low, fans are getting quieter and quieter, the crowds are getting smaller and smaller even though prices are getting cheaper and cheaper, and its to the point where (while the Pistons have always been fourth fiddle in the city even DESPITE success) this team is an afterthought in the minds of Detroit fans. Hell, I'm not even getting mad anymore, or even a little disturbed; it's just not worth it.

Davidson simply doesn't care enough about winning. Even our monster gamble trade was a cost-cutting measure. Just because we're in uncharted waters with this group doesn't make it interesting. I'm not sensing it from the players.

13. roscoe36

I really like you. I mean that. This season, although you are frustrated and disappointed, you have developed a keen sense of appreciation of the nuances off the court, and it's interesting to read your observations.

Seriously. Good job. But don't let the business stuff eat you up. This is still about popcorn, and cheerleaders, slam dunks and high fives.

14. The Palace Artest

I really, really appreciate that. Thank you. Maybe I should try and bring back that Therapy Thread. I have a lot of things to say, but right now, i'm just really damn tired.

15. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

It was pretty simple..we just couldnt get stops when we need them in the 4th...everytime down it seemed like hitting jumpers or getting to the foul line...another 4th quarter where we didn't execute...thats what seperates the good teams from the bad ones...even bad teams can keep games close up til the 4th..but then down the stretch good teams make plays and execute.. we didnt (on defense) and they did

16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

All i needed to know. This is getting deleted off my Tivo. Thanks Joe for forcing a re-building process that never needed to be done right now, and then putting pieces in place that don't even know how to rebuild properly. Curry 's 4th quarter line-ups make me want to strangle him. Why does he always go to something a/you haven't used all game, b/obviously doesn't work or c/freeze out players that deserve to be in there ? No wonder we look like that in the 4th, the coach obviously panics.

If this is what it's going to be like then screw this season. At least let me watch losing (and IMO winning) with the young guys.

Can we tank already ? All i want to see at this point is Amir finishing games and that will make this season tolerable.

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A freudian Flip/Slip there Lee?? Sounds like you may want the flipper back especially since Flip jr went off on his old team.

This loss just proves that we don't deserve the 4th spot. Yeah we should have at least beaten the bottom feeders or even the mid tier up and comers like the Bulls, but despite hanging with the Hawks in the first half, our true skills showed their declining ways and the Hawks proved why their young bodies beat the Celtics in 3 games in post season last year and why our old bodies could only wrestle 2 games from them.

Joe has been very quiet during this free fall. Maybe he has one more rabbit up his sleave to pull out this weekend to surprise us all. :sssh:

18. roscoe36

I agree with the latter, but not the former.

The same old "best starting 4+1" formula wasn't going to win anything. The time to rebuild was now.

The rebuilding has been completely mismanaged.

19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre, agree with your analysis. Hawks young energy vs. our older energy and never thought in the second half, the Pistons would win. Maybe if the Pistons are rested and not banged up it would be different.

20. The Palace Artest