Auerbach: "Spurs won't repeat"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Griffin, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

From the NY Times, 11/3/05

Howard Beck:

Two recent operations and an extended hospital stay have not mellowed Red Auerbach's outlook. Auerbach, the Boston Celtics' president, who recently turned 88, was typically feisty in a brief meeting with reporters Wednesday night. He called Larry Brown "probably the best coach in the N.B.A.," but he was unimpressed by Brown's decision to coach the rebuilding Knicks and by Phil Jackson's return to the rebuilding Los Angeles Lakers. "You could take any knowledgeable coach and put them in those positions and they can't do any worse," Auerbach said. Of Jackson, who is tied with Auerbach for the most championships (nine), Auerbach said, "Phil is obviously a good coach." But, he added: "He's been very fortunate. He picks his spots. That's all I can say. Larry Brown don't pick his spots. He's a great coach." Auerbach also predicted that the San Antonio Spurs would fail to defend their title. "I know they're not going to win," he said.

---

Interesting. You have to give some weight to Auerbach's words, don't you? I wonder why he thinks SanAn won't repeat, and I wonder who he thinks will?
  2. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Just guessing, but maybe Auerbach thinks...

it will just be too hard. It's general knowledge (according to Pop) that it's hard for teams to repeat. SA didnt each year after its championships. It is going to be hard for the spurs because the bullseye is on their back. I think Pops whole idea for getting Finley, VanExel and Fabriano was to put a hunger edge on the Spurs...those 3 guys are hungry. Plus Auerbach probably thinks all the teams east/west got better

It was funny, Finley said postgame (when spurs got rings) he felt like a little kid who sees another kid down the street get something and goes home and tells mama "I want one of those" So, spurs will really have to work so they can PLAY PISTONS IN FINALS!!!!:nod:

GO SPURS/ GO PISTONS:peace:
  3. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

I agree with Red. I haven't really thought about this very much; I just have a gut feeling that they won't repeat, no matter how awesome they are on paper.

They couldn't repeat in '04 -- or in '00, although TD was injured that year -- and I don't think they can do it now. I just don't think they have it in them. That's actually why I think bringing on guys like Finley and Van Exel is such a good move, because they'll be hungry for sure, but I don't think it's enough.

In fact, I don't think they come out of the West. I'm not sure who does yet (Houston? Dallas?), but I think they get knocked out early.

Actually, I'll go one step farther and say that the Spurs have won their last championship for awhile. It's not unprecedented: think of the '86 Celts (40-1 at home!). They haven't won since, and I think the Spurs are done too.

(Full disclosure: I am hardly an objective observer; not only am I sick of the Spurs who have been championship-contending material for seven seasons, but game 7 continues to haunt me....)
  4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

After just watching the Spurs completely man handle the Cavs, I would say that this Spurs team might even be better than last years version. That, in my opinion is good enough to make it back to the finals.
  5. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Here's a little more Celtic stuff...

Excerpt from SA Express News Buck Harvey today:

Auerbach offered up something else that night, too. He said he liked the Spurs, yet added without any explanation: "I don't think they're going to win it this year. I really don't."
    He might be right. June is six months and a thousand sprained-ankle possibilities away.
    But knowing Auerbach, there was more to this. Just as he pokes at Jackson, the coach who tied him for most titles as a coach, he pokes at another rival.
    How hard must it be for Auerbach? A former ABA franchise, created long after he quit coaching, has replaced his Celtics as the model?
    The Spurs will need a few more decades like this one to match the Celtics' history. Auerbach lit up victory cigars seemingly every spring, overseeing a Russell-Havlicek-Cowens-Bird lineage that was just one ping-pong ball short of adding another. Tim Duncan might have worked out in Boston, too.
    But this is more than a turn of luck. Whereas the Celtics were once known for scouting, the Spurs broke through as the pioneers overseas. The Celtics passed on Tony Parker, for example, at Auerbach's suggestion. He was an advocate of a player in that draft who is no longer in the league.
    Instead? The Celtics married the kind of one-on-one scorer they always abused in the past. Paul Pierce, by the old definition, is not a Celtic.
    Friday night gave another example, as did a fan yelling from the baseline. Loud and firm — with the Spurs ahead by 20 points — the fan directed his anger at Pierce.
    "Pass the ball! It's a TEAM game!"
    Pierce yelled back, as if words would change the truth.
    The Spurs were once on the other end of this. The Celtics came to San Antonio in November of 1983, and they chewed up the Spurs the way the Spurs chewed up the Celtics on Friday. Doc Rivers won't get fired after losing by 21 points at home — but Mo McHone was immediately after such a loss to Boston.

Yeah, we beat 'em :laugh: and look forward to Pistons taking them down 11/15 AND not so close as 11/4 please, my old heart cant take it:nod:
  6. max

max All-Star

WHo?

So he did not say who he thought would win? Everyone is picking the Spurs. Most were picking Miami or Indy from the East except for this past week when the TNT/ESPN TV guys have been jumping on the Pistons bandwagon.

Spurs did improve but so did the Pistons. Did the Pistons gain enough ground to make up for the extra 5 mins or so they lost by? Injuries aside we will see.

It will be a great series to watch and hopefully the NBA "analysts" can help the league plug it a little better by not telling everyone to not watch because it will be so boring.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This may or may not go over well.

The reason we lost to the Spurs was lack of homecourt, fatigue and inconsistent defensive intensity.

San Antonio is a premier defensive team, easily at or better than Detroit's class. Yes, they may even be better than the Pistons. That's my opinion.

Where San Antonio had (because it looks like they are working to correct it) weakness was composure, foul shooting and depth at the guard and forward positions.

I don't think increased offense will help the Pistons necessarily against the Spurs. It may solve homecourt, but the Stones still need to hang their hat in the playoffs on lock down and physical defensive play. San Antonio has proven that they can run with anyone and still play tight enough "D" to be the winning factor.
  8. max

max All-Star

Mwave

Whats your point? That we will lose too much defense under Flip to win?

One thing. Its not fair to compare the early season Pistons to the playoff Pistons from last June. Compare this team to last years team at this time and you have to conclude that the defense has been a lot better so far.

Last night was typical Piston D. Not playoff intense but the usual lock down D late in quarters and in the 4th in particular. Pistons have rarely played stiffling D for all 4 quarters.

One please thing. Team looked pretty good for a back-back 3rd game in 4 nights deal. Last year we would have lost a game like that.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think you missed it.

Nope.

I'm not comparing between years. I'm talking about Pistons vs. Spurs 05 and how it may shake out in 06. Detroit increased their offense and will hopefully have a better bench. San Antonio has worked on adding a LOAD of depth (to counter the Udrih issue they had last season) and their team has brought in a "shot doctor" to fix their shortcomings at the line and for jumpshooters with erratic results like Parker.

My point is that San Antonio has directly addressed their obvious shortcomings. So did Detroit. But I don't think the things the Pistons are/have addressed will be difference makers against San Antonio. I feel that they were more consistent defensively in the Finals than Detroit, and their coach is adamant about defense being the standard that dictates PT.

If Detroit should be so fortunate to face San Antonio in the Finals this year, the Pistons will need to bring an even higher level of defensive intensity and consistency than before. I believe that the Spurs have to be out muscled, not out run.

That's all. Just my 2 cents...