Avery Johnson may want extra years from Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jul 4, 2009.

1. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

2. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Man. If some guy with a hackneyed bit of inference can make it in the accredited newspaper business as a sportswriter, then I want his job.

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Regardless whether it is a fact or not, it would make sense the way Joe has been going through the coaches. The guy still has 2 years left on his Mavericks deal, so it doesn't make sense for him to go short-term.

4. RipBillupsRJC

Mikhail, why don't you write for a newspaper?

5. RipBillupsRJC

I don't see anything longer than a four-year deal. Four's pushing it. That would be like a woman, with Joe being a womanizer, scheduling a third date within 24 hours of the second one. "Flip was right about you!"

6. mikhail1973

Because I have a real job. :stirthepot:

7. detteam

detteam All-Star

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the whole 'Joe begging at Avery's feet thing' that is being reported. Why is Joe going to his neck-o-the-woods instead of Johnson flying to Detroit for an interview? It's almost like Joe is groveling to hire a one hit wonder so he doesn't have to consider Laimbeer.

If it was Jackson, Pop or Riley...I might understand...but we're talking friggen Avery 'Little Napoleon' Johnson here. A guy that is irritating to every ear. A guy that built little but resentment. A guy even Mark Cuban couldn't stand.

No wonder he wants a long term contract.

If Joe hires this blowhard...

8. mikhail1973

Lets hope Avery is comfy enough with his ESPN gig.

9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This is an overture. In the beginning there are edges that need to be rounded. One round leads to another round.

Johnson will have his moment: where genuflection from a GM has a respective levels of deliverance. A counter-reaction is sometime a slight pause, and increases or negates the possibility of what comes next.

Once this moment is past, Johnson has a decision to make and the likely (I hope) verification that JD has turned a corner for the entire organization's benefit. Johnson can strike with this opening leverage toward present opportunity or not. The decision is his alone.

It goes without saying, JD has a Plan B. Perception on Johnson's frame or reference is now grounded on his confidence level: time and circumstance wait for no person.

10. G-man

G-man Starter

His record is 194-70, he's got his bonifides. The request for 4 years seems reasonable if this is the guy we want. Dumars has never let a coaching contracts length get in the way of a good firing. What's the difference between 3 or 4? I don't get the drama in the piece written, 4 years is pretty standard in the industry for a veteran coach.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's still getting paid from his last gig... and will be for another year after this one, right?

So, the last team that gave him extra years regretted it.

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm warming to AJ. His voice is annoying, but he is everything Curry was promised to be.

Except the communication, but c'mon, who ever listened to Curry talk, besides a speech Max heard, and thought he was a good communicator?

He's a fairly straight shooter, he holds guys accountable and he is demanding. He expects his team to play defense and he expects them to compete each night. And he doesn't get wedded to particular lineups the way that Flip did.

One thing is sure, there will be no sacred cows under AJ. The question is whether he can learn what PJ knows. You only need to have your star(s) buy in, then you can treat everyone else like a pawn.

13. roscoe36

To clarify, I still don't think AJ is a good coach. I'm sort of ambivalent on his coaching history to date. He might be good, he might not be.

But I think he has the attributes that Pistons fans think this team needs from the coaching position. And in that regard, I say, if people want a disciplinarian who is an outsider and upfront about his opinions, then AJ will fit the bill.

Hopefully if Prince and/or Hamilton are still here, AJ treats them the same way he treated Dirk. Be accountable. Which is something Hamilton struggles with, and Prince has managed to avoid.

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

He never got Dirk to buy in. So how will he get...uhmmm...er... uhmmm...wait a minute. Who the hell IS our star(s)???:yellowprison:

15. roscoe36

He got Dirk to commit to defense. He did get Dirk to buy in, the problem is that Dirk is a flawed star.

He's not an alpha male, he's just a talented scorer.

Now Kobe, is an alpha male, an alpha defender and an alpha scorer. Somewhat like Jordan. Like Zeke. Those are the guys you have to get to buy in, Daly understood it, Riley understood it, and PJ understands it.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Why get a defensive coach when we assemble a team with no defenders? It's just going to stress our guys out.

Does D'Antoni have a brother?

17. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

Well, as the team is now, there isn't an alpha male left on the team.

18. roscoe36

My statement about AJ learning from PJ wasn't related to the Pistons specifically, but coaching in general.

That said, we have two guys who want to be alphas. Tay likes to play alpha minutes, and Rip imagines he is an alpha.

Just as Sheed did, just as Chauncey did. Of all of them, Chauncey was the closest.

What has held us back is that the institutional pillars of the team want to lead without being accountable. When Rip came off the bench and did his ballhog routine putting up double doubles in points/assists, it reminded me of a child throwing a tantrum. Guys like Kobe, Magic, Bird and Jordan never pulled stunts like that to make a point. They let their winning do the talking.

The legacy of this team is a lot of guys who talk, but not many who can walk without Ben and LB. LB was the ultimate alpha coach and made up for the lack of an alpha personality on the roster. He was their daddy.

To paraphrase the Joker from the first Batman movie, "This team needs an enema." Rip and Tay better get their act straight, or they can leave on the first thing smoking. No matter who coaches, no one will succeed if those guys are here and they don't buy in.

19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Pple, here,pleas DO understand: "Phil Jacksons, Greg Popovitches" do not look for job, they have jobs.

Therefore it is almost clear that you do not find before mentioned level of coach from market.

We can only hope that when AJ is not alfa coach, he is at best beta.

20. detteam

detteam All-Star

Laimbeer fits that bill also...but without being a stranger to the organization. A guy Bill D trusted both coaching & GM responsibilities to...for which Bill D was rewarded with 3 championships in 6 years.

Joe muffed two coaching hires within the old window of opportunity. The first one may have been Bill D's call. The second one was Joe's buddy call. Joe's next call will tell me if he's serious about the future of the Pistons...or if he's harboring some old grudge.