Avery Johnson may want extra years from Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think that Joe Dumars and Bill Laimbeer share a tremendous passion to win.

But that's about it. I think there personality types are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I think that Joe Dumars does not like Bill Laimbeer and based on that he really believes that he cannot work with him (maybe true) and that Laimbeer cannot win as a head coach (probably not true).

I think that based on their different styles and passion for winning that if those two put their heads together they would be a formidable tandem. I believe that Laimbeer would have us on top in three years.

It won't happen. Not now. Probably never.

Enter Avery Johnson for better or worse...

2. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I just read that Avery wants a say in Management and Personnel decisions. I am on the limb with this.

I love Laimbeer and like Cloud, would hate to see his name slammed on this forum if things go awry, even though personally, I believe that Laimbeer would probably become the Pistons best coach since Daly and may even surpass him in the total wins column.

I think Laimbeer does in fact have experience as an NBA Head Coach, coaching in the WNBA shouldn't be discounted as non-coaching ability. I think Laimbeer possesses all the attributes needed to coach. Those WNBA championships came from hard work, dedication, technique, style ability to assess talent, putting a winning team on the floor, making substitutions, and teaching hard nosed defense. That's what Bill did. I don't see gender as a means to negate Laimbeer's expertise as a coach.

With all that being said, Joe probably will go with AJ. AJ in fact would be my second choice.

Many of you probably don't remember, but as a player, my favorite AJ moment was; as a player AJ got in David Robinson's face, called him out several times for being too soft. They went on to win the cahmpionship the following year. He was the smallest thing on the team, but he was a sparkplug.

I will never question AJ's desire because he was a helluva player with a lot of fire.

If Laim's is not the next Pistons coach, I think that it is a given that whoever the head coach, Joe will ask them to bring Laimbeer on as an assistant.

3. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I favor Laimbs over AJ (and any other candidate that has been discussed), but if tact and diplomacy are vital to a successful head coach, I don't think either one is known for that personality trait. Both seem to be forthright, direct and outspoken. But maybe that trait is overrated in coaching, or maybe Laimbs has mellowed with years, because he had great success with the Shock.

4. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Pay the man!

5. max

max All-Star

It would be a lot of fun having Lamb as the head coach. Main concern with him is how will he relate to the players? If he is too over the top then players will start asking for trades and whole thing would be a huge setback. Its a gamble. And we just gambled on Curry and lost.

Avery is the safer choice that's for sure.

Guess we will see how it all pans out. If not for Curry I can see them taking the risk but given that I don't know. They probably will go for the safer candidate and give Avery what he wants. Plus he is supposed to be good at developing PG's.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Give Aj what he wants and lets move on....the summer league starts this week and if Joe doesn't move swiftly, either Will Bynum, Walter Sharpe or Mike Abdenour will be coaching Tuesday.

Avery knows Joe's retention record as it relates coaches, so I understand him seeking additional time to develop the team's ID. It will take time based on the current staff and none of the fan based should be calling for the head of AJ or Bill if he is the eventually hire.

With that being said, since AJ is demanding so much --including being involved in the management and personnel issues, Joe should negotiate one stipulation that Laims is hired as coach on Avery's staff to not only work with the big man but to retain the Piston DNA from days gone by.

I would concur that Bill may not have any NBA coaching experience, but his GM skills have definitely exceeded Joe's these past six years........maybe Joe's jealous....:stirthepot:

7. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Everybody keeps saying that Bill will wear on the players and they will start demanding trades. We are going in with a very young line up. I don't know that any of the palyers on our current roster have had enough recent success to demand anything.

If they want to go; let em go. We are trying to build something from the ground up since we have been working our way back down. Give Bill the reigns and lets see what happens.

I personally think he would get more leeway from the fans then any other coach that could be brought in. If someone other then him gets the job the boards will be flooded with "they should have given the job to Bill".

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

No to Laims. Seriously y'all, he's not ready by any means. Bill is way too old school to coach today's NBA Ego's. The stuff he used to do and say to the Shock would NEVER float with an NBA team, it's one of the reason I actually love women's basketball-it's still pure and untampered with bad fundamentals and ugly ego's. Bill is not ready, on soooooooooo many levels he is not ready.

9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

What kind of things did he do and say to the Shock?? I'm thinking that if you can look down and see a handful of rings on your fingers at the end of a few seasons that you may be able to forget what was done and said.

Seemed like all his players had respect for him except the ones he moved out of town for underperforming.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It seems to me that then was the time to go with the proven, experienced coach and now is the time to take a chance.

I can't blame Johnson for wanting a say in personnel given Joe's affection for combo guards, projects and castoffs. They are going to hold him responsible for those moves.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It is very ironic.

12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    But it may be the truth.

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

Yeah, but Joe had to hire his buddy Curry so he could get $7.5M for one season.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

IMO, it is. Avery Johnson last year would have been perfectly understandable.

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Might as well ask the folks that have seen the most of Avery... from the Mavs fans perspective:

"Be ready for 4 years of "it is everyone elses fault but mine!"

"He's a good coach... if your players like to be controlled. some players need freedom, aka kidd, but some work better under heavy guidance. how would we get to the finals if we didnt have him?"

"An incredibly mediocre X&O guy but he'll somehow parlay that into a winning season or two after getting the troops fired up with his passion and yelling. Eventually the novelty wears off and it boils down to actual coaching which he doesn't know/have; ergo, failure.
    "
    "Scott Skiles, basically. Only worse."

"In his final year though, I soured on him quite a bit. By that point, our guys had gotten tired of his brow-beating and his inability to be even remotely creative on the basketball side of things was a real downer. Del Harris was largely responsible imo for the x's and o's while Avery was more of the "motivator"."

"He's great for getting your team to be more serious and focused ... for a bit but if he is not surrounded by great assistants, that he will listen to, you might be in a bit of a tight spot. My concern is now that he's a "veteran" coach, he might not be prone to take advice."

"He's never been a real open guy or someone who was willing to take true responsibility for failure and it's a big risk that he's more set in his ways. Unlike some people who become more open and recognize "what went wrong", I'm afraid Avery is a bit more of a person who revises history as he goes so that by the time he's finished analyzing the process, his shortcomings are minimized and those of others are magnified."

"Personally I think Avery Johnson would be a great coach if they had a young team, but the problem is that Avery doesn't like coaching young players.
    It's really ass backwards. He's controlling, demanding, and he can get a lot out of players, but I don't see that as a conducive relationship between a coach and a veteran team. Young players would be much more open to being told what to do than the Pistons.
    If anything I think the Pistons are one of the worst teams for Avery, but we shall see"

16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Bummer. Thanks Merc. lol.

17. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

So you are saying: my heart is somewhere on my sleeve?

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We are a hard bunch to satisfy....Nobody liked the Cola man despite the back-to-back 50 win seasons; only a few liked LB until we got by Indiana in the 04 ECF; nobody liked Flip after the his first year failure and no one liked Curry after Christmas despite a 7 game win streak at the beginning of January.

Although everyone likes Laimbeer, most are skeptical about taking a chance on him since Joe is ignoring him because of the "experience factor". The little General is being portrayed as being tyrant or controlling figure whose only success seems to be in regular season ala the twitcher Flip Sr.

Well if Joe has to go with someone other AJ, who out there is better (oops this question already has it own thread...) retreads like Cheeks, Carlisimo, Del Harris, Fratello, Silas, Sam Mitchell, or new up an comers like Brian Shaw, Rambis or Kuentster?

Joe had BG and CV fly in to Mo-Town and he got his guys...since he was flying down to D-town (in Texas) got to believe it was a stop over to get his man, help him pack and both are flying to Vegas Monday.

The Low, The Palace Artest, and TheeTFD, get over to Planet Hollywood tomorrow afternoon for the press conference and (please wear your PF press badges) and one of you ask Joe "if Laims ever had a shot at it?":)

19. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I was saying that I was trying to work up some excitement for a seemingly inevitable coaching announcement. But, based on Merc's great post it seems that its likely Avery may not have the credentials by himself to live up to our expectations. Let's just hope that initial criticisms are inaccurate or he IS smart enough to put a great complimentary coaching staff around him should he be hired.

20. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Pistons has not had demanding or actually coaching folk for years, so I'm happy the'll get one. I do not care of other features, described by Mavs fans.