Avery Johnson may want extra years from Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Stun

Stun First Round Draft Pick

Thanks.And it only shows,if Dumars won't get it right with the rosters the AJ effect will be almost over.And we can start all over again.
  2. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The Sports Update on channel 7 ran the interview from Joe D right after the firing of Curry in it's entirety. It was an interview with Don Shane. I don't know if any of you guys can find it and post it but in the interview, Joe "NEVER" says he wants a guy with more "NBA" experience. He says several times that he wants a guy that can mold a young roster and that has "MORE EXPERIENCE" then Curry had.

Thought it was very interesting that he did not say "NBA experience" but experience in general. He also said that he and Laimbeer talk quite often; even before the coaching vacancy. Were they discussing GM "stuff" and have they been trying to build similar teams for the Davidsons? He made it seem that they have a good line of communication between them.

Just thought it was an interesting interview.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I still think it is weird that Laimbeer quit so suddenly right before MC was fired. Laim seemingly knew that it was about to happen.

Is Joe just going through this whole charade with other coaches and interviewing just so it looks like he made a careful decision when he ends up picking Bill? Probably not, but Laimbeer's drastic action still seems strange.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    NBA.com: Source: Meeting between Johnson, Dumars productive

5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I just hope we don't go down the same road of just hiring the "next guy in line."

I'd like to see some creativity in a coaching hire...not just the guy everyone assumes will get the job.

Johnson has a tendency to get out coached badly. I'd almost be more impressed if Dumar showed up with a guy no one ever heard of. I've almost given up on hopes of Laimbeer getting the job despite this being the perfect time for him to be brought in. However, with the recent debacle, Joe will probably retreat to the ESPN short list of coaching candidates.
  6. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Exactly.

When was the last time we heard Joe go through an extensive list of candidates? I don't like his interview process at all as all the talk seems to indicate Avery is the prime choice. By this time he should have interviewed a few candidates and gotten a feel for what's out there. After the Pistons coaching carousel, you would think it is far more important to get the right guy, rather than rushing to getting him in place for the Summer League.
  7. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

I think Johnson is demanding a 4 year contract from the Pistons similar to what Flip Saunders signed with the Wizards (4 yrs/$18 million)

Were looking for our 6th coach in years in 9 years. He would need the assurance in those extra years.
  8. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Good, at least that way AJ can put A STAMP on how this team should be like.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It was a bad matchup for the Mavs, and he got outcoached by the guy that taught him how to coach. The following year's 1st round exit was worse IMHO.
  10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Avery panicked right away going to the small ball lineup to match the Warriors, which needless to say, played right into Nellie's hands. Your team won 67 games during the regular season and YOU are the one adjusting to the other team? That was one of the biggest coaching mismatches I've seen... no way the Mavs should of lost, regardless of their poor record vs. Golden State.

I think the following year (losing to NOH), he had just lost the team altogether. He had a near mutiny on his hands, from what I've heard.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

You can hope until the cows come home at night. It doesn't look so good right now. :(
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

IMO Laim will get an assistant job with the Pistons to cut his teeth.
    The only reason you leave a solid paying job is either management pressure or a better opportunity... Laim didn't leave during the season to go fishing (although he prolly still gets a check from his Daddy's box company).... Guaransheed he's got something locked up.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So Low, you weren't at McCarron Airport this afternoon with your PF Podcast Mic, when Joe landed in Vegas with his new coach? What is Roscoe paying you for?
  14. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I had an eventful afternoon at the DMV (worst/unhappiest place on Earth), so I wasn't there to heckle him either.

My stance is that Joe needs to just get on with it. Hope that Avery was humbled somewhat.
  15. mikhail1973

Speculation: Avery may be looking for about $5 mil/year to come back to coaching

Pistons, Avery Johnson still don't have a deal - Detroit Pistons Basketball: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So now Joe is going to use the $$ as the reason that he ends up with Laimbeer. :sssh:
    I wish he'd just do it already.
  17. mikhail1973

Sounds like a plan. Lee should call Joe and let him know it's time.
  18. mikhail1973

New rumors: Joe wants Avery, but can't agree on the contract. If they can't agree by Tuesday, the next candidate is Kuester.

Sources: Detroit Pistons talk to Avery Johnson, near decision - ESPN
  19. LA Dre

I thought Tom Thibideau was unavailable this year? Joe could have offered him the job last year, but Joe owed Curry $7.5 Mil for some pyramid/ponzi scheme that he and MC got duped into in the past, so we had to suffer thru last season.

The article says that John Kuester was responsible for the Cavs offensive
    ??

Did this offense do anything when Lebron was on the bench? Remember when their scrubs almost gave up a 25 pt lead to the Pistons in game 1 or 2?? Not sure we need him...or Rudy T?

Did you read what one person said below in the the comment section about Sarah Palin..
    . :pound:

Wonder if Joe is bringing her in for an interview, after all she did lead her team to a state title and in her resignation speech, she referenced BB in the following quote:
    Sarah Palin: Pistons First,then Country
  20. LA Dre