Avery Johnson Named Coach of Year

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 25, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[Houston Chronicle]

Mavs' Avery Johnson Named Coach of Year
    by STEPHEN HAWKINS AP Sports Writer

DALLAS — During Avery Johnson's playing days, many executives and players thought the point guard would make a great NBA coach. Still, he had to be convinced it was time to make that transition. Now, after his first full season leading the Dallas Mavericks, Johnson was honored Tuesday as the NBA coach of the year.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban remembers talking to Johnson nearly two years ago about retiring as a player and becoming the top assistant _ and eventual successor _ to Don Nelson.

2. max

max All-Star

Three game improvement from last year to this for the Mavs. Avery beats Flip with something like 63 to 18 with Flip comming in 3rd.

Must be saving the votes for some other Pistons. Perhaps MVP for Billups and another DPY for Ben?

3. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

I would have voted for Byron Scott. I know they slipped after all-star break, but after all the team went through with moving and to improve by that many wins. Flip would not have got my vote because he allowed Sheed to play even when he was late and Ben get by with no punishment for his actions, but thats just me.