"Avoiding Another Darko"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jayborne, Apr 15, 2010.

1. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Interesting idea there Max, and I'm sure that plays a huge part. GM's know who they want, they know what other teams need, so it's all a game.

Could Drexler and Jordan have played together if Portland would have drafted Jordan instead of Bowie?
  2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

GMs do not believe in hype; hype is for fans and media.

...and there is no conspiracies in draft lottery.

IIRC Rod Thorn has said something like that: from top 10 there is 50% chance to get good player( a player who justifies his draft position); next 10 - 25%; the rest of the draft -practically pure luck.
  3. max

max All-Star

Every once in a while some kid comes out of nowhere with little experience and all of a sudden he is the cats eye to everyone, makes you wonder.

I don't know much about this DM kid in this years draft, he is 20 so he must have done something to be a top 10. What I don't know. But it would be in everyone's - picking after #7's best interest if we took him.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Unless DM#2 is the next Dirk.
  5. max

max All-Star

I am tempted to think - what the heck maybe it would be worth the risk. Cannot possibly be two Darko's - or could there be? Perhaps I am just biased in that he looks like Darko.
  6. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

This brings up my next point:

Imagine living with 2 Darko's . . . like in your house.
  7. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Same Initials, from Europe and to take the cake, he's even a LEFTY with a "mean streak".

Deja Vu.
  8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nowitzki was definetely not established in Germany before he entered the NBA; he was quite successfull for one season in the 2nd league in Germany.
  9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

we should try to get the youngest of the Gasol brothers as long as he's an unknown quantity
  10. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

We must have learned from out mistakes in handling Darko. If this guy looks promising, then draft him.
  11. max

max All-Star

What did we learn besides not drafting young unknown foreign players. The kid has had 5 years since leaving the Pistons and still has not done squat.

This is different in that its the 7th pick and the only other Centers with size that I am seeing are most likely to be solid bench players. Could play it safe and go for one of those SF's, which seem so abundant this draft, and then try and trade for some size. Although Dumars has already been trying to do that with no success.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I believe the Pistons have learned from their mistakes about Darko. Just because we made one stupid choice doesn't mean we will make another. I'm sure if the Pistons are interested in this guy, then they've really done their homework on him. I'm also going to assume that if we draft him, that he'll no longer be an unknown quantity. We'll do our follow up much better this time.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Unless Matt Millen gets involved in the process...:)
  14. LA Dre

Why are they still trying to push this guy on us....this looks like a set up.....no more [strike]urban[/strike] foreign legends with the intials DM that shoot left handed...

Why the Pistons Should Draft Donatas Motiejunas

15. max

max All-Star

Exactly what I was thinking. Then again - what are the odds of getting struck by lightening twice?
  16. LA Dre

I don't think You Tube was available when Joe drafted the other DM....hopefully these clips don't give him more credence to go abroad

YouTube - Donatas Motiejunas highlights
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Draft him. He's tall, he's left handed. He played in the Italian league, so he has pro experience. He looks like he has a body that can fill out. He's got touch, he's got range.

This guy is nothing like Darko.
  18. LA Dre

That was the hearsay on the other DM wasn't it?
  19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Whoa...This jump-started some questions about culture before your comments:
    • Yes, he is tall
    • The left hand (always an advantage__more than most think)
    • Italian league is...is...is like history and will out survive us. This includes the current fiscal crisis. The Canadians also feel slightly superior to us and rightly they should.
    • Pro experience is culturally isolated. Some have commented that their past heroes drag them down...doesn't apply to the USA, of course.
    • Fill out? If this were college, one would hope his roommate was not Tay. Before the headaches against occur: Tay never was projected as a 5, even though he nearly equals his weight.
    • He has excellent footwork. Let us remember, that it will help him immensely, if he is not shoved outward beyond the 10 foot mark.
    • Once they get here, the Euros have a tendency to become Americanized. No attempt is too great for that individualized distant shot.
    I need to end now. I think that culture will mix the game. A slight question to you?

Which, in the future, will have a greater mix in the game of transition between cultures: N.America, Latin, European or Asian?
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Which game of transition?

Basketball or other? If some other, let me suggest that the world still reels under the Rome Plows.

I don't see anything wrong with this kid. Certainly not Darko class. This kid has played in a men's league with professional ballers. There is actual tape on him. So he's a ferner from some country most people can't find on a map and a Caucasoid. That is where the comparisons end. Lithuanians are to Serbians as Mexicans are to Texans.

Let me suggest that once drafted, he will probably hit one more NBA three (as a rookie) than Darko has in his career. DMC of course, the jump shooting original big man gangster and supposed second coming of Dirk Nowitski, has never hit an NBA three in 6 seasons.