1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Back to Backs

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I read an article in the Detroit News this morning where Flip said, "I always wondered why we have so many back to backs in the first month of the season. It is a time when injuries might occur and teams aren`t as sharp, so early in the season."

The Pistons have 5 back to backs in November, yes Flip this is true what you have pointed out, however, this is an excellent time to: Play the bench!!!!!!! Ya think..........

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

you run 2 a days. conditioning drills. Preseason games AND you want to complain about back to backs? WTF was training camp for??? You know you got a B2B coming and just because you can't sub right you complain about the sched.
    ok my rant is :rant2: over.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Get them out of the way early!

And get those west coast games done too!

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought Flip had a nice bench rotation against the Celtics and the Grizzlies.

5. Dlev59

He was forced to play the bench at times because of foul trouble. It wasn`t his strategy to use the bench as he did I`m sure.

My point is, if Flip is so concerned about injuries and being sharp in B2B`S then give up a couple of wins maybe, by implementing your bench (by design) and don`t burn out your starters.

It`s still early let`s see what happens on this West Coast trip..........

6. roscoe36

Despite hitting some shots, Delfino really hasn't held up his end of the bargain from the bench. He's been a MINUS player in all 3 games.

The bench has been strangely effective with Murray being a contributor although not necessarily a scorer, and Maxiell continuing his excellent preseason in short minutes.

There is no reason for Flip to NOT trust his bench. Unless he is worried about Rip's opinion when he says he doesn't want to come out.

If Chuck Daly can manage PT between Joe D, Zeke and the microwave, then surely Flip can tell Rip to sit down and take a breather.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

As far as Delfino being minus, hey, they got a "point guard" out there with him with no prior NBA point guard experience in Murray part of the time. The other part of the time they got Hunter playing point. Delfino can't make things happen if the coach won't let him have the ball. Trying to make Delfino solely a spot up shooter just is not going to work. By the way, on the subject of Delfino, he is shooting about twice the percentage Murray is, scoring more, and rebounding at 3 times the rate of Murray. Meanwhile, Hunter is pretty much a zero across the board so far this season. Delfino is certainly not the problem with the bench so far. (and yes, Dyess is also stinking it up pretty bad as far as offense goes-but just like Delfino, I will contribute that to not having a point guard in the game much of the time with him.)

8. roscoe36

It's chicken or the egg though.

Delfino has been minus playing some with Flip Murray, but Flip Murray has had some great plus stints playing with the starters. Is it Delfino, or is it Murray?

Delfino can and must be better. So should Murray. They must both be starter quality players coming off the bench. Anything less is unacceptable and I don't want to negotiate degrees of failure for the bench players.

They MUST play welll CONSISTENTLY.

9. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

I think we should give flip a little credit its not like he started coaching yesterday. And I wonder how many of us who say he should sacrifice a couple of loses for the bench to play more will graciously take those loses without being upset or critical. The purpose of playing is to win as many games as possible not to win [just enough].

10. Dlev59

The object is eventually to win a championship. To do that a coach must utilize everything at his disposal; including his bench. As we learned last year, finishing with a league best record in the regular season doesn`t amount to squat!

There is talent on the Piston bench, to let them sit there and not contribute during the regular season, giving them confidence and giving the starters rest, IMO is incompetence on any coaches part.

Look at the rotation of any championship team lately and you will find they had a bench, during the regular season and post season....

11. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I couldn't agree more. I'm lookin for FlipM, Delfino and J-Max to be major contributers this year. I bet Flip figures out how to play a bench in a hurry too.

FlipM (surprisingly to me) brings a good game. It's clear to me that he just needs to get comfortable. Delfino and J-Max have to get used to consistent minutes. All of em have chemistry issues. All of that can be worked on if each of em delivers when called upon. Regardless of what "time" it is.

Lee, stop worrying about what few minutes Hunter gets. Give him a chance to get his first hammy so we can rest him for the playoffs.