Bad Boys vs. Current Pistons Team

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lazyberbs, Dec 17, 2005.

1. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I am jealous

Man, I want to be seeing these games but I guess it is not worth heading north to Michigan to do it.

Do you guys have a handle, after only 21 games, whether these guys are playing at a level above or below the 'Bad Boys'??

It seems just from hearing what little we hear that they are purely awesome, when they want to be. I will be seeing a couple of games soon, but in the meantime, are they as good so far as the 'Bad Boys'??
  2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I really don't like to get into comparisons like that, 'berbs. I'd say this team is more diverse offensively, but the 3-point shot is so much more important these days it's really hard to compare. Defensively, the Bad Boys brought intensity with greater regularity. Sometimes you could go weeks without seeing an opponent get an open layup. I'd say the Bad Boys were a tougher team mentally, but that's about as far as I'd go.

Different eras, and the league has legislated dramatically different playing styles. But making the comparison isn't nearly as far-fetched as it used to be.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bad Boys

lazy,

I conversed with max about this earlier today. I also said I wouldn't post it, because the younger members might not get it. Here I go compromising myself.

The Bad Boys would mop the floor with these guys. They are playing great, but the Bad Boys circa 1990 was a truly dominant team. It's still early and this team has not played many probable playoff squads yet.

Enjoy the moment, but don't compare eras. The Bad Boys are in a class all their own.
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Now Wait Just A Minute

Pistons have played 21 games.

Based upon the current standings the playoff teams that they have played are:

1. Philadelphia - Leading the East
    2. Phoenix
    3. Dallas
    4. Milwaukee
    5. New Jersey
    6. Chicago (2)
    7. Golden State
    8. L.A. Clippers

9 games out of 21 against playoff teams which is a bit below the percentage of teams that make the playoffs which is 15 out of 29 or slightly over 50% when you exclude the Pistons because they can't play themselves. (except in practice) LOL

However they have also only played 8 games at home vs 13 on the road.

Is this team as good as the Bad Boys? Not as deep but the starting five matches up pretty well.

I would say that RIP and C-Bill are now close to being on par with Zeke and Dumars when the Pistons won in 90. Don't forget that at that point Zeke was on the downward slope of his career.

Big Ben vs Bad Bill. - Certainly Bad Bill had a better offensive game, to say nothing about his offensive personality on the court, but on the defensive side I would have to get defensive and vote for Big Ben.

Sheed and Prince vs - Mark A. and my namesake Buddah. I would have to go with Sheed and Prince if no other reason because Sheed and Prince have far better overall games than Mark A. and Buddah.

The bench clearly goes to the Bad Boys, with the Original Microwave, Rodman and Salley being first off the bench.

Coaching wise well Big Daddy certainly dressed better than Flipper. Was he a better coach? Well Big Daddy had some really lousy records as a coach both before and after he coached the Pistons, but he did win two titles. I will abstain on this one until we see what the Pistons do this year in the playoffs.

Finally the Bad Boys had Scott Hastings and William Bedford and the current Pistons have DMC and DD. I would give a slight edge to DMC and DD but not much. LOL
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Ever think about the two starting units being able to play each other?

Zeke vs CB
    Joe vs Rip
    Aguirre vs Tay
    Mahorn vs Sheed
    Laimbeer vs Ben

Two different eras...but what a great matchup it would be!

But I can't really think about the Bad Boys without including Vinnie, the Worm, Buddah, Salley & even Dantley.
  6. roscoe36

Mahorn vs. Sheed and Laimbeer vs. Ben would be worth the price of admission.

I'm going to move all of these "versus" posts to a new thread tomorrow. It's a good discussion.
  7. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Actually, I like this team over the Bad Boys for this reason. I think this team is very capable of winning four ships compared to the Bad Boys two. I think this team has the capability of becoming a dynasty (especially if we had won last year) whereas I don't think of the Bad Boys as a dynasty. I think we are more potent offensively now and can be as well defensively if we stayed at the level we were at the last two years. The number of possessions is higher now so its kind of hard to know cause we are comparing apples and oranges. Plus I don't buy into the idea that the NBA was better 15 years ago than it is now. I think the fundamentals were taught and implemented more 15 years ago but I think the players are a little more atheletic now. Especially since we now have more players from throughout the world than compared to 15 years ago.
  8. ojay

ojay Second Round Draft Pick

This team has nothing on the Bad Boys. Don't give me any of that "Bad Boys aren't an dynasty" bull%%%%, because they were. They were competitors for the longer time than the current team. There had more elite teams back then, Blazers, Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls. 3 straight finals appearences, and I believe even more eastern conference finals appearences. To win a back-to-back in that era is worth talking about.

Zeke would dominate CB.
    Rip would get schooled by Duuuuuuuuuuuuuumars.
    Laimbeer would throw a punch to Ben. Oh yes, he would dominate him in HORSE.
    Aguirre could power Tay out.
    Mahorn would leave Sheed speechless.

Don't forget Rodman, crazy as he is, he is truly a better defensive player than Ben. The man invented defense.

Not to mention, Buddha Edwards had a post game as well.

Vinnie Johnson would dominate Dice has a hot hand off the bench.

Strong perimeter game, agressive defense at all 5 positions, no fear of fines for knocking anyone off their ass. The Bad Boys were something new and different, and there will be never be another Bad Boys. They were something special, and I'm very fortunate to have witnessed their play on TV.
  9. roscoe36

I had to think about this again.

Daddy Rich vs. Flip? You gotta give Daddy Rich props. Flip has only won 2 playoff series. Daddy Rich went to the Finals 3 times.

Let's hope we have that much good fortune with Flip, but if they played based upon where this team is at today, there is a huge coaching edge to the Bad Boys.

And seriously, VJ would absolutely abuse Arroyo. The refs would have to call child services at halftime.
  10. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Bad Boys definitely had the stronger bench. No debate there whatsoever. We need to definitely cash in Darko to strengthen our 7-10 players. Especially since we haven't had a serious injury for several years. Hate to say it but Ladyluck could be leaving us soon. We need to prepare ourselves now for that, should that unfortunate scenario occur.
  11. max

max All-Star

re

On a strict talent standpoint the 1990 Pistons have the edge and their much taller frontcourt would have worn down the current Pistons 3-PF rotation.

If you want to get technical then you would have to establish which rules this series would be played under as things have changed a lot. What was a hard foul back then now would be a flagarant 2 or even a multi-game suspension. Things have changed quit a bit when you consider the old Pistons Scored 110PPG and let in 104 PPG. But the 104 points against was amoung top in the league.

A definite edge our current team has is they are not going against the grain. That caught up to the old Pistons in the 1991 Conf Finals against the Bulls. Could not buy a call in that series. An absolute sham of a series but the whole thing happened because the old Pistons did not play ball with the style of play that the league wanted to see. A definite precedence was established in that series that took away much of the physicality that the old Pistons needed to win back then.

Current Pistons are a very likeable team and are very adaptable to any league rule changes. I do much prefer having a team that other people like and respect rather that hate. Its not us against the world anymore. That part I do like much better about the current team.
  12. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Old VS New

Old would win hands down

Zeke vs. Billups.... zeke would give billups fits because of his speed but it would be a duel (think billups vs. arenas but better) advantage zeke

Joe vs. Rip... Rip would give Joe a little trouble with his height but Joe would just body him anyway i think rip would get caught trying to help on d and Joe would drain in the 3s advantage Joe

Mark vs. Tay.... mismatch here if Tay gets it in the post he’s money over mark and he could shut down mark on d Advantage Tay big time

Bill vs. Sheed.... oh the mind games these 2 would have for each other i think sheeds mouth would piss off lamb and he would be swinging (picture lamb and sir Charles) both can knock down the outside shot both have some good post moves and both are very smart players advantage = sheeds athleticism would be hard for bill but bill was to tough for that to matter

Buddha vs. Ben ... a good battle but some one has to lose Ben shuts down Buddha and Buddha beats Ben up for it not literally but its not pretty advantage Ben

Bench vs. bench hands down the new pistons get smoked vinnie explodes while arroyo implodes Rodman and Salley laugh and toy with Mcdyess and mo and Bedford and Darko talk about their asses being sore

The game... Flip calls the first timeout to tell the guys to remember to move the ball and to get back on d because they are getting beat in transition meanwhile the daddy asks his guys if they feel like turning up the defense just a little because of all the screens
    Flip takes the 2nd timeout because zeke is getting to the hole whenever he wants (and oh yeah sheed needs stitches)
    Halftime old 65 new 56
    Second half billups and zeke start matching bucket for bucket but billups are all 3s score ties at 83
    4th quarter new pistons try too lock down on d get up by 5 but get lazy and the old pistons kick into high gear Joe and lamb knock down back to back to back 3s and take the lead 108 103
    final 2 minutes sheed and lamb get into it and sheed gets a t then billups gets one for arguing the call pistons down 9 and Joe makes the t's to put them up 11 tay makes a couple of 3's but it is to little to late final score 123-117 (did i mention that the old pistons were on a back 2 back?)
  13. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Definitely bench of 'Bad Boys' stronger. Starting 5 would be a good match up. But when it comes down to the bench, 'Bad Boys' would burn them. Coaching wise, definitely got to give the edge to Chuck Daly.
  14. detteam

detteam All-Star

Bad Boys:boxing: vs America's Team :usa2:

Downright amazing to hear the cheering for the Pistons on the road and then think back to the booing the Bad Boys & especially Laimbeer got everywhere they went. He's probably the most hated player the NBA has seen.
  15. max

max All-Star

Dumars

Yes it is amazing. When you are known for hard working and good sportsmanship people are going to respect that. Can thank Joe Dumars for that. Thats what he demands from his players.
  16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I also think there are a lot of fans who want the season to build to a good showdown, and right now it's hard to imagine another Eastern Conference team that can stand up to the Spurs. Without the Pistons it's Spurs-Mavs and a one-sided Final.
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i wasn't really a part of the bad boy era, but what i can say is that teams in the future have more talent, but they also they usually don't play the game as smart. if some of our players played in the past i gaurantee you they would look amazing, and this team especially the starting 5 does play smart. it's would be very hard to compare though because i have no clue how the badboys would adjust to the more fouls called on the defensive end of the floor today, and at the same time how the current team would adjust to the game back then. it's very hard to compare teams especially if one team played pretty long ago.
  18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

sidenote: who remembers bill laimbeer combat basketball for SNES? :D
  19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Buckeyes#1 and detteam

Both you guys made good points. I think we are going to win more than two 'ships. But on the other hand, the Bad Boys could have, with a little luck, won four. Zeke's errant pass that Bird intercepted, and having Zeke so badly injured in the first LA NBA finals. With a little luck, we could have had those two, as well.

Detteam, I too like to hear our guys rooted for in foreign arenas. The Bad Boys, especially Lambs and Rick, drew many boos. But in Bill's case, he was know quite a bit as the guy you hate but would love to have on your team. I remember especially the Portland NBA finals series. The Portland fans hated him so much; he got into the team and the fans' heads so much, it took them out of their game, to a very great extent.

He was an asset in that respect as well as the way he played. I can so remember those mighty leaps he made to get his shots off, at least an inch and a half off the floor. And the way Rodman and Salley ran the fast break, the ball seemed to never be within 10 feet of the floor all the way down the court.

I have the feeling that Sheed, Taysh, Rip, Ben and the guys are quicker and faster than the Bad Boys, but when I really get to thinking about it, I think there was not much difference, at all.

Do you think we have anybody now that could have handled Jodan as well as Joe did? I don't think Taysh would be able to tough up to him and would Ben have been able to do the job?

I know they could defend him today :confused: :eyebrows: but I wonder about how well our guys of today would have done against a Michael in his prime.
  20. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

That's tuff to say because the games are different today as far as defensively being able to do more back then Stern has tried to open it up for the offense to make the game more appealing nowadays.

Sheed and Bill would have been great to see dropping 3's on each other going inside banging it up.Joe guarded Jordan but could he have kept up all game with Jackrabbit Rip?Zeke and C-Note man pretty close match-up Zeke laying it up at will C throwin down 3's.Tay I think would have takin it to Aguire but put Rodman on Tay to shut him down.Bench Bad Boyz slaughter this year's bench.

Interesting to think about though.With the bench the Bad Boyz take this hands down but put the starters against each other and funny they are really close for the most part besides some little quirks each team has but then again Joe played on one and built the other so go figure.