Bad Boys vs. Current Pistons Team

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lazyberbs, Dec 17, 2005.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Let me get some of this

Max, I thought you were dead on. And BigD you got it right with Tay v Rodman, Agguire let Rodman start. And Agguire was used wrong, he should have been a shooter not a post player. Confident, smart and unselfish. Minus one for Daly.
    This Team did't lose 3 ? seasons trying to get in the CF. We weren't complete yet ,no Sheed.
    CBill v Zeke = null
    :rip: v JD = pt to JD better D.
    Tay v Rodman/Agguire = pt to Tay he would out score Worm. And shut down Mark.
    Worm v BBen = pt to BBen, he would outscore Worm.
    Sheed v BLLL = pt to Sheed, BLLL couldn't shoot that good.
    Sheed v Budda = null
    BLLL v BBen = pt to BLLL, if he scored.
    Salley v Dyess = pt to Dyess, Salley couldn't score with Dyess.
    Micro v Arroyo = 2 pt to Micro, only because Vinnie was a vet. then.
    BBen v Budda = null, BBen would shut Budda down.
    ...Anyway the Bad Boys job was much different than Going to Work team, they had to dispose of National Favorites Celtics and Showtime.
    Streetball was the answer to put Deeetroit BBall on the map. Fond memories are with us today. Both "still" have to deal with the Refs.
    BLLL/Worm v BBen/Sheed on rebounding and D = null

How about a group hug for both teams?

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

Micro, I totally agree, they would mop the floor with them, look down the bench, and find no scrubs to put in for garbage time. The Bad Boys bench would give our starters a good run.

Let's get real, the Showtime Lakers, the Celtics, Bad Boys, and to a lesser degree, the Bulls were the last of the super teams. I include the Bulls, but they only competed with good teams, not great ones, whereas the Pistons hit the Lakers & Celts in their prime.

I do think our starters might have played them even for three quarters, but the bad boys had a few things in their favor.

1. They were a better defensive team
    2. They were mentally tougher( Sheed would tech out, and Joe would be turning RIP over almost every play)
    3. They had more quality bigs
    4. A bench deeper than the championship team with Corliss & Memo
    5. Dribble penetration? Isiah could get to the basket at will.
    6. Vinnie would rain 3 pointers and open up the middle.

Sorry, that battle isn't even close. Next question.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Not today LaS, Mahorn, BLLL and Worm would foul out in 3 quarters. This team would actually have the refs in their pocket.
    Dribble penetration, C'Note can get to the hole at will.
    Better D team, "Going to Work" set records for holding teams under 70. They were so dominant they changed the rules on us this year. Could Vinnie rain 3s on Hunter?
    ...Now, compaired to THIS year you can see how these 2 teams play identical. C'note is free to carry the O load like Zeke. Rip equal JD.
    Tay is better all around than Worm/Mark A., Ben = BLLL, Sheed = Budda.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Please allow me to inform you about a man named Isiah Lord Thomas. CB is not half the penetrator Zeke was. A better spot up shooter? Sure. But Zeke was better at every other aspect of the game.

The question you need to ask is, could Dice/Tay/Delfino score on Rodman. Could Ben outrebound Rodman?

As an aside, Sheed versus Mahorn would quite possibly be the most entertaining, trash talking, back and forth battle.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

C'Note only this year, under Flip, is free to score. LB insisted Note distribute. Our best scorer held in reserve, that was LBs downfall.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

BBen could out muscle Worm. But Worm could out leap BBen, thus a null. Like I said, Mahorn would foul out on a determined Sheed.
  7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

my take

nobody has seemed to mention that chauncey has an incredible post game. he would get tired of zeke going to the hole on him and take him straight into the post ala tony parker. i think joe would have had to switch onto chauncey and zeke would have had to switch to rip. also possibly rip would check zeke on offense as he does nowadays on the faster point guards.

i think sheed definitely has a better post game than laimbeer and has just as good of an outside shot. he would dominate laimbeer in my opinion he's also much more athletic.

buddha would score at will on ben wallace. i think his size would give ben trouble. but he wouldn't play very many minutes. i think over the course of the game ben would play him about even.

tay would dog dantley and aguirre in my opinion. they would get at tay offensively but on the defensive side tay is much much better.

i disagree with the bad boys bench being much better. they didn't have a mcdyess caliber player coming off the bench. salley and rodman were basically defense only type players. vinnie would come in and light it up but lindsey would stick him possibly. we could get a similar offensive explosion from mike james and better defense. we also have unknowns right now like evans, delfino and darko i think we need a full season to fully access how much better the bench is or isn't. i would still give the slight edge to bad boys era.

i think the matchup basically boils down to under which rules would the game be played under. this current team could play under both rule sets. the bad boys wouldn't be able to adjust to the current rules set. all scoring would have to come from zeke and dumars. you know how this team plays well against teams with only 2 scorers.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

USA Today, today, says the Pistons have a very underated bench.
  9. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I think that was yesterday's today. Today's today could not possibly be out yet. :eyebrows:
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The date of my post is yesterday, so I'm talkin' about yesterdays Today.
  11. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Jordan in his prime with todays new defensive rules? OUCH!

I think Jordan would have averaged at least 50 pts a game.
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

Jordan

Tho he was a great player, he pushed off to clear space more than anyone I can remember...and got away with it.

BTW...IMO it looked liked CB pushed off Stoudamire on the winning shot in Memphis.
  13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I second that. This team is good but the Bad Boys were the real deal. They instilled fear into opponents. The Pippen migrane headaches everytime he had to play the Pistons was classic. Like you said Micro you can't really compare eras because the game has changed so much.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's it guys we gotta have a poll on this.
  15. Tigerfan

Tigerfan Second Round Draft Pick

I am not sure just how good the bad boys of 89 and 90 would do today. The officials are calling games much closer now than they did 15 years ago. I wonder who they would have chasing Hamilton and I don't think that Lambeer could match up with Big Ben. IMO todays team would probably win five in a seven game series..
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It's a true hug fest Tiger, the more you say "Going to Work" the more someone is going to say Bad Boyz. Gotta keep the Love strong for those Bad Boyz. Who woulda got blown off the court by our starting 5!!
    Could BBZ shoot 50% tre? Only if Dumars took them all. That's why they needed that good bench cause Beer and Worm would choke the O.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hey, the most games won by the BBZ was 63. If this group wins 64 will you admit "Going to Work" is better?
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

No, the league is diluted.

The year they won 63, 3 other teams in the East won 50 or more, 2 of them were in the same 6 team division.

You're kidding right? The level of competition in the East was much higher, and the talent level league wide was at an all-time high. 3 guys averaged over 10 assists. C'mon man, we're talking Larry Nance, Craig Hodges, Manute Bol, Sleepy Floyd, Fat Lever and Olajuwon.

I mixed some greats with some not so greats. But my point is, who we talking about as a 3rd option these days? Udonis Haslem and Ronald Murray? Andre Iguodala and Vladimir Radmanovic?
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I remember Atl had very good teams those years. And they didn't get close to winning anything.
    What about World B Free? Even after MJ and Pippen you had 4 solid players including Kerr.
    ...And if this is the case it should be easy for GMs to find the diamonds if everything else is sand.
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Love watching the classic games of the Pistons vs Bulls or Celts...

Here's some observations of the 89/90 team compared to the current squad:

The interior defense back then was weak until the bench came in ... Boston had little problem scoring inside.
    Dantley and V.J. were poor perimeter defenders
    Dantley guarding Bird was a total mismatch (think Mo Evans on a bad leg)... Daly should of been fired for that move :^)
    The team did a lot of iso's without swinging it around or making the extra pass... ball control was completely ignored.

The 89/90 squad was similar to the current Phoenix team with a couple bruisers inside... they would grab the ball after a missed bucket and immediately look for the break.
    What was really impressive was the conditioning and off the ball movement... all 5 players were constantly shifting and moving to open spots or for the offensive rebound.... very impressive.

Sheed would hurt the old team with his inside/out game....
    Ben would win the rebounding battle with Laimbeer who relied more on positioning than quickness... however Laim would makes Ben's interior defense completely useless pulling him out of the paint (prolly would switch someone smaller out to the perimeter).
    Rip vs Dumars would be a classic matchup... slight edge to Rip because of his equal quickness and height advantage... Joe could cross over on Rip.
    Prince would destroy Dantley or Aquire
    Isiah vs Chauncey would be high entertainment... with the edge going to Zeke... similar to AI vs Chauncey.
    Mahorn vs Dice?... edge to Dice
    The 89/90 bench would completely dominate the current bench.
    Merc's verdict?
    Current Pistons beat the 89 team by 1 point in a 7 game series then losing to the 90 team... Rodman & Edwards would make the difference.

That collision with Vinny & A.D. still makes me sick to this day.