Bad Contract

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by kpaav, Feb 16, 2010.

1. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

2. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Of course he does. That doesnt surprise me at all. Simmons is always hatting on Detroit.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think maybe a bit of perspective here. I'd be interested to know (without doing the research) how many players actually fall under that category of 3-plus years or at least $25 million remaining.

Probably isn't as many as you think. I think it's mostly coincidence that we just happened to sign/re-sign these 4 players in the last 2 years and they fall into his 'category'.

Garnett should clearly be in this list. Bill is delusional.
  5. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

Kevin Martin (30): My favorite possibly available trade piece -- great contract, proven scorer, high hoops IQ, someone who'd thrive on a veteran team that protected him defensively and ran plays for him. Right now he's playing on a glorified pickup team with Tyreke Evans, who thinks "point guard" means "I get to dribble over midcourt." Not gonna fly. Someone like Martin is a luxury. You pamper him. You set him screens. You hook him up on slash-and-kicks. You go to him after games and say, "Hey, what's the best place to deliver the ball for you -- chest high and a little to the right?" He could absolutely be a contender's No. 1 scoring option like Reggie Miller[​IMG] or Rip Hamilton once upon a time. Stay tuned.

Wait wait, a guy who is VERY much like Ben Gordon, in fact statistically very similar, contract wise similar, and he gets a pass because he is on a bad team? Wait didn't there bad team just beat our bad team? Wait wasn't he hurt this year too? Wait isn't he the same age as Gordon? Same position? If Martin is a "proven scorer" what does that make Gordon? Oh right, but why allow logic to dictate anything.

Let me go to thinking Gordon is garbage. **Puts head back in sand**

Oh, and per rotoworld:

Martin's contract
    2009/10: $10,180,170
    2010/11: $11,100,005
    2011/12: $12,019,840
    2012/13: $12,929,675

Seriously, in the same article this was said. Ben Gordon worst salary, Kevin Martin great asset. Give me a break.
  6. hitafreethrow

Roscoe, I realize you have a certain "responsibility" to moderate this site, but would you please stop trying to turn my points into humor. Just because you arent familiar with the term "hatting" doesnt mean you have to constantly correct my regional dialect.

Jerk.
  7. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I'm completely shocked that BS didn't find a way to have all 12 active Pistons players in the top 25 worst contracts. His Pistons hate seems to be slipping.
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

In two and three years, about the time we might be ascending to be a young championship caliber team, those contracts will be expiring contracts and therefore GREAT contracts.
  9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

BS blows it by limiting it to 3 year contracts or more. There are some shorter ones far worse than anything we have now. Just looking at what's close to me, the Knicks have Jared Jeffries and Curry at almost 20 mil per year for the two of them. I even think Larry Johnson and Antoine Walker are in the last year of their contracts.
  10. max

max All-Star

Ray Allen is in the final year of his deal making 19 mil. Is he that much better than Rip and Ben Gordon? At the time that he signed?

Market wise Rip and Ben are pretty making about what they are worth? I know its been a down year with all the games lost due to injury but I would not necessarily call them bad contracts. Bad for us in that we have 2 expensive SG's but separately they are not on bad contracts.

A healthy Rip is still going to give you 20 PPG.
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh now I get it.

Hatting.

Fedoras.

Pork pies.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, much, much better..........
  13. hitafreethrow

Pork and beef blend, boy, get it right!
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

I believe he acknowledges that he is in denial about KG in the opening paragraph of the bad contract piece.

Bad contracts have many definitions, but I wouldn't have a problem with my team giving that deal to KG when he signed it. What happened to him could not be forecast.

To date the Pistons used the valuable NBA commodity of (a lot of) cap space to lock up the 6th and at best 7-8th men on their team. That might be where he is coming from.

I don't even think the bad contract stuff is the most inflammatory comments he made about the Pistons. Did you see his blurb on Billups?

15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Are you suggesting that Dumars has foresight and somehow all of this was part of a strategic plan? How dare you?
  16. Brap

Brap Starter

Guilty.

Yeah, I think Joe thinks in great depth about things like building his team. I think he isn't a simpleton, and that he knows that 3 or 4 years from now is when this thing he's building needs to be ready.

Why on earth anyone would think we were going to be contenders every single season without going through a down period, is kindof strange to contemplate.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Because Joe has said that is precisely his strategy. To compete each and every year. He made a big deal about it two seasons ago in the offseason media conferences.

I don't buy into the Joe as strategic mastermind deal. He's like the rest of us. He makes mistakes, and he makes great calls. He is definitely a good GM, but far from infallible or prescient.
  18. Brap

Brap Starter

I think Joe always has a plan. At the start of this season, he said that he didn't think his team was a contender - and I think that was a concession that things hadn't gone as well as he had hoped.
  19. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Kevin Martin is better than Ben Gordon. Better scorer, comparable shooter, size true to his position, he doesn't rebound like a PG. and while he isn't really a defender you can leave him on other NBA SGs and not have to worry because of his size. If our backcourt was Stuckey/Martin, I'd be much more excited. Even though that's just a worse version of Evans/Martin, which won't work. I'd even be willing to say that at least 95% of league GMs would rather have Martin, injury issues and all.

He does have a ting of Pistons hate in his blood, but he's right. Gordon's contract sucks. Villanueva isn't showing the type of improvement that would have made the risk on him worth it. The Rip extension was too much, especially since it was right around trading Chauncey.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think it's more of a ting of hate he has towards the Pistons.

If it makes anyone feel better it'll probably be 5 bad contracts once they resign Runnin' (but only a little) Rodney.