Barry Vs Emmit Debate!

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Dakid_11, Jul 12, 2006.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

You have a point.

Okay, let the debate continue. :P
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Brown being better may have been true. But that was garbage his dad put in his head.
  3. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I've read other message boards and they all say the same thing:

"my word, if anyone says emmit is better than Barry I nominate them for expulsion, from life! no explanation necessary"

thurman against emmit is a better comparison. thurman (when he remembers his helmet)

Smith doesnt deserve to be mentioned in the same class as Barry Sanders. My grandma could have rushed for over a 1000 yards per season with the offensive lines that Smith had with him.

the only people who think emmit is better than barry are cowboy fans, and theres enough of these losers around that this actually seems like an argument until you put it up on this message board. barry > all!
  4. Dakid_11

Dakid_11 Second Round Draft Pick

Alright, I see you all have your opinions.

You've made some good points.

But I'll guaruntee that those pionts can be countered! That's what a debate is all about.

Someone said it would be a waste to come to a Cowboys board to debate but I say you will be given a fair shake!

BTW, the O-line excuse is a lil weak. Heard it a million times so there is a great counter to it. You may have to do better Friday if you decide to come over.

I will also guaruntee that respect will be shown. Even though it is a Cowboys board, we want you to come back and feel welcomed. We still welcome all from other teams to come over & discuss football.
  5. Dakid_11

One more thing I'd like to add.

With all due respect, it's fairly easy to sit here a pat eachother on the back saying "barry's the greatest!"

That is why I am turning this friendly invite into the "gauntlet" being thrown down!:nod:

Now who is willing to pick it up & show up on friday?
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

By The Numbers

Lets compare Emmitt's and Barry's career numbers. While I'm at it, I'll also calculate Emmitt's numbers after 10 seasons, the same # of seasons Barry played, to be totally fair.

Since Barry retired on top of his game, and Emmitt doesn't know when enough is enough, comparing career stats alone would scew the results towards Barry, since Emmitt is a shell of the player he was in his prime (which, by the way, was when Barry left the game).

Here goes:

Emmitt Smith - 15 seasons, 226 games, avg 15.06 games/season
    Barry Sanders - 10 seasons, 153 games, avg 15.3 games/season
    Emmitt after 10 seasons, 155 games, avg 15.5 games/season
    Fact: Emmitt played 3 more games than Barry over the first 10 seasons of their careers

Emmitt Smith - Rushes 4409 career, avg 294 per season
    Barry Sanders - Rushes 3062 career, avg 306 per season
    Emmitt after 10 - Rushes 3243 total, avg 324.3 per season
    Fact: Emmitt had 1347 more career rushes and 181 more after 10 seasons

Emmitt Smith - Rushing Yards 18355 career, avg 1223.66 per season
    Barry Sanders - Rushing Yards 15269 career, avg 1526.9 per season
    Emmitt after 10 - Rushing Yards 13963 total, avg 1396.3 per season
    Fact: Barry had 1306 MORE rushing yards and avg 130.6 MORE yards per season than Emmitt over 10 years. This despite playing in 3 less games and rushing 181 FEWER times than Emmitt.

Emmitt Smith - 4.2 yds per carry, career rushing average
    Barry Sanders - 5.0 yds per carry, career rushing average
    Emmitt after 10 - 4.3 yds per carry, first 10 seasons average
    Fact: Barry averaged .7 MORE yds per carry than Emmitt after 10 seasons, .8 MORE over careers. This despite Barry also having the most NEGATIVE rushing yards than ANY back in NFL history.

Emmitt Smith - 81.2 avg rush yds/game for career
    Barry Sanders - 99.8 avg rush yds/game for career
    Emmitt after 10 - 90.3 avg rush yds/game first 10 seasons
    Fact: Barry averaged 9.5 MORE yds/game than Emmitt over their first 10 seasons

Emmitt Smith - 164 rushing TDs career, 10.93 avg per season
    Barry Sanders - 99 rushing TDs career, 9.9 avg per season
    Emmitt after 10 - 136 rushing TDs after 10, 13.6 avg per season
    Fact: Emmitt averaged more TDs than Barry. Yeah, he finally won a matchup! Oh yeah, that's right. Barry was also taken out on goal line situations. How many more TD's would he have had if he had been in on those plays? Still, gotta give this one to Emmitt, since speculation doesn't count.

Since we're debating the best RB, I won't go into the receiving stats of each player, although, Barry had a better yds/game, and TD/season average than Emmitt as well.

Conclusion: Barry kicks Emmitts rear in every category except for TD's. I'm not saying Emmitt isn't a Hall of Fame RB, I'm just saying Barry was better.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Jammertme, enough said, debate over thanks for the work on this.
  8. jammertime

Oh, and before your bring up the fact that Emmitt is the all time rushing leader - which is true - lets take a quick look at those numbers.

Emmitt didn't pass Barry's career rushing yards mark until he was into his 12th season. He didn't pass Walter Payton's rushing record until he was 539 yards into his 13th season (more than half his rushing total for that year by the way).

Had Barry played just ONE more year, he was on pace to break Walter Payton's all time rushing record BEFORE his 11th season was over. Almost A SEASON AND A HALF sooner than Emmitt Smith did.
  9. bezeach

Emmit Smith only won MVP was because two guys named Marvcus Patton & Thurman Thomas were payed off by the commisioner of the NFL :)

and another quote:
    "Sometimes it's better to be an excellent player on a poor team. Or, maybe in Emmitt's case, an above average player on an excellent team"

Another point, Emmit had a problem of fumbling the ball
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

One of the most respected minds in the history of the NFL has said that Barry is the greatest running back of all time.

And if Wayne Fontes says it...it must be true. The Big Buck knows what he's talking about.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That is a strong post Jamm.
    True, Barry wasn't a fumbler.
    How many carries for a loss did Emmitt have?
  12. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Why hasn't the NFL produced a Barry Sanders highlight video? I'd buy it (and several more for gifts) if I could find one.
  13. bezeach

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I bet one involved the Bears. Or both.
  15. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Man, Barry was good.

Screw Emmit.

And I'm sorry, I can't bring myself to register on a Dallas Cowboys Forum. My wife would slap me, and she doesn't even watch much football. That'd be like asking me to register on a LA Lakers forum. Just can't do it.

Can't buy a Pepsi. Can't drink a Budweiser. Can't cheer for Kobe. Can't cheer for Emmit. Can't cheer for Gretzky. Can't cheer for Jordan. Can't respect G W Bush.

It's just the way it is.
  16. Dakid_11

Well you all bring up some good points!

Problem is that there's no one here to dispute them so it makes it pretty easy to sit here and pat eachother on the back!:hug:

So I once again would love to see some if not all of you tonight at 7pm EST at the DCFU.:fingerscr

Should be a good time!:welcome:
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

dakid, I wish you contributed to the threads here with the same passion you've displayed to get folks over to DCFU. :eyebrows:
  18. Dakid_11

Touche!

The DCFU is my baby. I was there when it first came to be.

I do love the pistons but don't have the same knowledge you all have due to my location. (which is why I come here!:nod: )

I just see a lot of intelligent fans here who I would like to see in my neck of the woods during football season for some intelligent football discussion!:thumb:
  19. Dakid_11

If the DCFU is down, I apologize.

I'm trying to login there myself but keep getting a "timed out" page.:frusty:

I'm trying to get a hold of a mod right now.
  20. jammertime

Great vids bezeach, here's another great one that shows Barry's many abilities. The best juke move in the history of the game, lightning quick feet, can hit the extra gear in the open field, but it also shows Barry bouncing off tacklers left and right AND bowling guys OVER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiXqaR0qOaw&mode=related&search=barry%20sanders

Barry not a complete back? I beg to differ. He could beat you with power, with quickness, with misdirection/change of direction, he was a solid (and underrated) blocker, and was absolutely DEADLY in the open field as a receiver.