Barry Vs Emmit Debate!

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Dakid_11, Jul 12, 2006.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I look at it this way...If Emmit played his whole career with the Lions and Barry played for the Cowboys we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Barry would clearly be the elite running back and Emmit would have had a solid but unspectacular career.

Take it one step further.

If Barry Sanders of the Cowboys was the one with the ego and desire to have the rushing record he would have far exceeded Emmit's total.

Barry took a bad team on his back and made them fun to watch for a while. Barry is the best.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Thank you Jammer for your comments. Some of my disdain for Barry is rooted in the fact that he left the team the way that he did.

I also feel that if Emmitt was with the Lions, that we would have been to a Super Bowl. I feel that he was that type of leader in Dallas. Sure he was somewhat arrogant, celebrating TDs and keeping balls after he scored. Some of that swagger coulda put the Mid 90s Lions over the top. Nice guys don't always finish first. With Barry, the QB situation, Chris Spielman, and Robert Porcher...we were really lacking go get em lockerroom leaders with swaggar. Most of our players were soft-spoken, like Barry.
  3. basketbills

Yeah...that can be hard to look past but as time goes on I just remember the good stuff.
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I feel you. I was REALLY pissed at him the way he absolutely abandoned us. I would have been fine with it if he was upfront about it at the end of the season, but he waited until just before the start of the next season to announce his intentions, really handcuffing the team. I felt betrayed. I respected his right to retire, but not the way he did it.

Wow, I definitely don't share your opinion on that one. But hey, that's what the great Barry Vs Emmitt debate is all about!

Thanks for helping me resurrect this 3 year old thread!:MusicBigGrin:
  5. Nemo

Reminds me of the 2004 Pistons. We added one player with lockerroom swagger, a leader whose time had come...and we're over the top. Emmitt coulda done that for the Lions.

Thanks...discussing these two is always good.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Big difference in your comparison. With the 2004 Pistons, you're talking about adding an additional piece to the puzzle.

With the Lions, you are talking about taking a great player (Emmitt) and substituting him in for the best player in the game at the time (Barry). No way that makes the Lions any better.
  7. Nemo

I know there's a big difference in the players involved. There woulda been a huge difference in the Lions lockerroom, just like with the Pistons and Sheed being there. By the way, the Pistons did let go of a player when the brought Rasheed aboard.:)
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I've never been able to understand Lions fans for this line of thinking.

I don't blame Barry for hanging it up when he did.
    He gave everything he had to the Lions and Lions fans throughout his career. His team did absolutely NOTHING to support that effort. They rolled with an absolute MORON coach and a brainless and heartless quarterback. The Lions had the best player in the game and perhaps the best running back in history at their disposal and they did absolutely NOTHING to help him win a championship.

I'm 100% behind Sanders' decision to walk away from the Lions. In fact, I basically walked away from them too as I now choose to spend my Sundays doing other things rather than watching the "product" that the Ford family puts on the field.

Sanders > Smith
  9. Nemo

Remember that Barry didn't really retire...He walked away from the team 2 days before he was to report to camp. The team had switched coaches to make an improvement. Barry liked ole Wayne-o because he ran a relaxed team. Put under pressure to work hard and follow the rules of a coach who had different ideas, and Barry took off. Also, Barry never really proved to be a leader on the team...the way Emmitt did.
  10. basketbills

That's the problem...Barry didn't handle his departure the right way. I don't blame him either for walking away but the way he did it showed a lack of respect for the Lion's fans.

The Big Buck was one of the most successful coaches in Lions history...but that's more of an indictment of the other coaches, I guess. But he hired Mouse Davis and installed the Run and Shoot. That took some brains...didn't it?

Anyway here is a Barry quote taken from wikipedia:

11. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I am sorta curious about why everybody keeps saying emmitt was such a great leader, He had one of the best QB's of the era on his team and from everything i read/saw said that there WR was the leader of the team. You had Jimmie Johnson one heck of a coach (compared to mickymouse ear wearing in detroit) and an owner that I don't like as a person but willing to do just about anything to win.

Plug Barry into Dallas and all he would have to do was run... and with the QB WR TE and HB that they had, he'd not had the HUGE bullseye he had on in Detroit.
  12. Nemo

Have to agree with you about Michael Irvin...Guy had loads of swaggar.
    Good career numbers too. 750 receptions for over 11,000 yards.

Interesting about Troy Aikman. His career high for passing TDs in any year was 23. I guess this is low cause they had a runner who could punch it in. His career season high for passing yards is 3,400. I guess they had a runner who could do it on the ground. Poor guy was CUT from Dallas the day before a 7 year 70 million dollar extension was to kick in. I guess that owner is kinda cheap after all...
  13. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

From the day Barry came to the Lions, he was my favorite player. He was in a class by himself, right up until the day before the day he left.

His reasons might have been good and it is true that he was still in good health with no problems to carry over. That might have been a good time to get out, BUT, the way he did it was a real kick in the teeth.

Besides, I always, always wanted to see him in the same backfield as Doug Flutie. The way both of them avoided tackles and made things happen a lot on their own, would have been a joy to see. The opposing teams would have had to assign at least 3 players to tackle each Doug and Barry and let the rest of the team beat them. With decent receivers and fullback, there would have been plenty of open people.

Still, Barry was the best.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looks like I was the first person to respond to this thread 3 years ago and I have not changed my opinion that Barry was better on the field and if he had played in Dallas he might have 25,000 yards....

The only challenge left would be if Barry could go on Dancing with the Stars and prove that the dancing on the field translated to the grace on the floor. If he can't then Emmit wins that challenge debate because after all he did win the trophy.

YouTube - Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke - Freestyle - Finale - Season 3

YouTube - Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke - Season 3 - Championship Moment
  15. Nemo

Barry would quit after 9 weeks. He'd call up the show complaining that Cheryl Burke isn't a good enough partner...

Emmitt won cause winners just win baby......He'd win wherever he plays
  16. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

Barry Sanders was was completely overrated in Detroit. He lost way too many yards dancing around because he was scared to get hit. Emmitt Smith knew how to follow his lead blockers and hit the hole. He may have only got 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but the Cowboys never went backwards. Barry was just as likely to lose 2 yards as gain 20 yards. On 3rd and short, the Lions would generally have to pass the ball. Why? Because the defense knew it was a running play, they would stack the line, and, if they gave the ball to Barry, he would dance around and make 7 guys miss, and gain zero yards. Punt. When the Cowboys had 3rd and short, they got 2.5 because Smith wasn't scared of contact. He would run the play the coaches called, follow his blockers and hit the hole. Barry would dance, dance, dance, make 7 guys miss and then fall over (or run out of bounds). I don't ever recall Barry lowering his shoulder and getting that tough extra yard.

Barry = punt, punt, punt, 50yard TD, punt, punt, punt...
    Emmitt = 1st down, 1st down, 1st down, 1st down, 2 yard TD, 1st down...
    That is why the Cowboys win SuperBowls, and the Lions have great highlight reels of Barry.

Don't believe me? Then ask yourself if you could ever imagine Emmitt Smith getting -6 rushing yards in a playoff game like Barry did. And before you start thinking: But Dallas had the better offensive line...remember that Emmitt was just as effective when he was on the Arizona Cardinals.

Barry had more talent, but Emmitt was the better NFL running back.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This debate will go on forever so maybe we should be debating who had better blockers and Emmitt would definitely win that debate (In Dallas and Arizona) as the Lions to this day still have not mastered how to protect or block for anyone. :stirthepot:
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just a guess here... If they traded uniforms and all else was equal, I would say that neither guy could improve on the other's stats.

Emmit's style seemed better for the Cowboys and Barry's seemed better for the Lions. Unfortunately, that means that Barry was better at playing smear the (guy with the ball) and Emmit was better at running with blockers.
  19. G-man

G-man Starter

That's frickin blasphemy.....
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

No crime intervention?