"Be Impactful"... Say what?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by CloudWalker, Jun 3, 2011.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

somebody was impacting with somebody..

We all hope it works out well, but you can never forget that some pigs are more equal than other pigs.. or like my grandma used to say, "don't stare into the sun boy or you'll go blind..

San Diego Reader | Who's Harassing Whom?

New San Diego Union-Tribune Owners Eliminate 192 Jobs - San Diego Magazine - May 2009 - San Diego, California

Seamy sidelight to U-T deal - LA Biz Observed

Don't kid yourself, this guy would rip the wings off angels if feathers were a growth market..
  2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Re: somebody was impacting with somebody..

darn....I hope you washed your hands after you dug that up.
  3. max

max All-Star

Even if he is in it purely for the money - lets just say that he is. When have the Pistons made the most money? It's when they are in the playoffs with a legitimate chance to win the Finals.

Is there a formula out there that says you make the most money when your team is not winning? I know salaries are expensive in the NBA but you get so much more money for your product if your team is successful.

There are lot of other things too that have been slipping around the Palace lately that people who go to a lot of games would notice. Maybe a shakeup of Palace staff would be a good thing there.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

What are we looking for in year one of the new regime? How do we define "success" for this franchise? I'm pretty sure while we would all like to see a championship, it just isn't going to happen.

How do we define progress? A division title? 41 wins? 35? Cleaning house of disgruntled and ineffective players andDumards too (after a year if he isn't headed "in the right direction")? Kander comes up with a copyrighted ear stretch so that the players are able to listen to the coach better? New uniforms? The young players improve? Darko's jersey is finally hung up in the rafters? Laimbeer hired to coach the team?

People are going to be beotching and moaning almost immediately (if not sooner) if this doesn't "work out" right from the start. Maybe that complaining will be very well justified. But don't we need to set the bar regarding what our expectations are? Something measurable.

Right now we are skeptical and rightfully so. We should be. But what are we looking for before the season begins. In the preseason? In the regular season. The...postseason???
  5. max

max All-Star

I think they really need to show that the Pistons are getting better. At least trying to get better - making trades and stuff. That's the main thing. And whatever course the team picks they need players on board who buy into it. It would be so nice just seeing a team where all the players tried as hard as they could and listened to the coach.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

First...I view Karen Davidson as the villan. She allowed the franchise to enter a spiral of doom and her only concern was to make as much money as she could on the sale.

There are several ways that I plan to use to measure the progress of our team.

1. When the national press start talking positively about the Pistons...I will take that as progress.

-our local press and Stuckey fans tend to overlook the real problems of our beloved team. The national press hasn't said anything positive about the TEAM in years

2. When Tom Gores buys the team outright.

-if Tom truly is a basketball and Pistons fan...he will buy the team from his equity group and take personal control. I EXPECT him to do this when the team has made sufficient progress in their play.

3. When Tom Gores builds and pays for a Piston venue Downtown...

-a true follower of Pistons basketball knows that the passionate fans live in the city and closely surrounding commiunities. When HE pays for the arena...then we know we have the right owner.

Now...how much of this will happen?
    Is Nemo crazy to expect ANY of this?

Remember...Ford and Illitch have basically both achieved all of these steps........
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I don't see why Gores would buy the club from his equity group after some success? By angle-shooting the equity group by selling it at about the same price as the now and letting the company take the hit and Gores the profit? Or by paying a higher price because of the progress? But why wouldn't he have bought it by himself in the first place instead?

Regarding 3, paying for a new stadium by himself just for the sake of paying with his own money sounds more like a stupid owner than a good owner to me.
  8. Nemo

The Business Of Basketball, 2011

Here are the team valuations currently, with operating income(loss) also listed for the last fiscal period. During the 2003-2008 period, the Pistons average a 25 million operating income per season. Interesting to see...how many teams are losing money...which teams are making money...what are their revenue streams.

Which team made more income...The Celtics, Mavericks, or the Clippers...

I really dislike Karen Davidson......:(
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree that it is much more nuanced, however, I am a big fan of what Gores does on a business level. Some folks might not like how this guy plays the game, but there is no doubt he knows how to win. He knows how to exploit opportunities. And frankly, old man Davidson was no Mitchell Layton either.

I am fairly certain they will run the team at the board level, not at the officer level of the company.

That said, maybe their role is to unwind PSE and break it into chunks. Which might be a great thing for the Pistons, because I didn't think the entertainment empire benefited the on court performance at all.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I was excited for the new owner, but now I have changed my mind. This guy fired 192 people from a newspaper? That totally flies in the face of what is happening at other newspapers across the country.

You seem to be going out of your way to dislike this guy based on his job title.

The Pistons were raking in cash at the end of Mr. D's tenure and he was pocketing it all without putting anything back into the team. Jarvis Hayes anyone? As long as this guy doesn't do that I'll be good.

He can hit his sister-in-law 3 times a day for all I care as long as he dishes out those MLE's if the Pistons have a chance to win.
  11. G-man

G-man Starter

whatever floats your boat ern.
    in my book anybody thats tagging his brothers wife has pretty low scruples and recognizes no personal boundries. a guy with billions can pretty much write his ticket when it comes to romance, tagging his sister-in-law speaks volumes on many levels.

you seem offended that anyone should speak to the public muddy footprints he's left in his wake.

perhaps some of ya'll find that activity politically heroic and see great value in his willingness to burn any bridge to get what he wants.
    winner take all. there are a lot of sociopaths prowling the blue chips and a lack of empathy for the human condition is considered an admirable trait in todays business environment.

i don't personally dislike him, just think he's totally untrustworthy and probably not the best owner that k.davidson could have picked. but her picking agenda is her agenda. i'm not confusing what was good for her with whats good for the pistons. i don't think it bodes well long-term for the team or the city. thats my opinion.

hopefully, i'll be proven wrong.
  12. Nemo

What you say makes sense, but which owner would you rather have...

Karen Davidson...who ran the Pistons into the ground, made over 31 million in operating income last year...

OR

Mark Cuban...who continues to produce 50 game win seasons, but lost 7 million in operating income last year...

I want the guy who is THAT committed to the Pistons, like Mark Cuban...not some slug who owns the team for two years...and allows it to run into the ground. An owner who truly loves the team is less concerned about team profits and more concerned about winning.

We'll see how much Gores really delivers....
  13. Nemo

I agree here.......:) :) :) :)
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Who would you have?

The stupid owner who spends $55M losing $7M in operating income.

OR

The clever owner who spends $70M while making $10M?
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I don't get all the negativity. This cloud of doom that shrouded these past two seasons is starting to get really depressing. Two key points:
    • The team has just been sold to an ownership group who is committed to keeping the Pistons in Detroit. For that, I'm grateful. Next year this time, we could've been talking about Las Vegas Pistons.
    • The cost of this acquisition, and the annual operating income/revenue of Detroit Pistons is PEANUTS compared to the overall business volume of Platinum Equity. This is not truly a business acquisition for them; it is a hobby, an expensive toy. If we spend like Cuban and lose $5-10 million a year, that would be a cute rounding error on their balance sheet. Let's keep things in perspective.
    And the guy fired Kuester 3 days after he signed the papers. So far so good.
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Next year we could be talking about it. Behind closed doors they might be tossing the idea around right now. That's what some people don't want to consider.

[​IMG]

"Do not fear, citizens of Michigan. Your team isn't going anywhere."
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

sorta off topic, but havn't seen it mentioned in all the articles written or on the board since the sale went final. During the presser he mentioned opening gyms (plural) for the kids of Detroit, we see that happen in the near future I would take that as a good sign that he's buying into the city.

I know I'm a glass half full sorta guy, but I think this can work... and hoping for the best.
  18. Nemo

I think you're missing my point. I want the owner...who has other business interests to rely on for his personal dollars. I want that person to focus on making the Pistons a winner and dam the profits...

To answer your question above...I'll take the one who has the better team...both present and future...including coaching and player personel.

Eventually...profits can be made with a winning program, I believe...
  19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Background info is relevant... however it's way too early to elaborate his intent.... if you watched the presser you heard him say his intend is definitely not to spin this franchise off... with the new CBA it's hard to envision a financial loss here (including PS&E).
    What I see happening is a team of successful businessmen that will create new marketing avenues to parlay entertainment in mutual directions.
    He said he wanted to reconnect Detroit (starting with transportation).
    One thing we can be sure of is that Piston management will be held accountable... personnel decisions will have to be justified ("I will challenge Joe and push him")
    The consistent theme was his commitment to his community.

IMO Spin-off = Not for a long time.

Let's give peace a chance :^)
  20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think you're right. This is going to be a no-nonsense regime. :)

These guys are NOT about losing money. The Pistons were not purchased with the intention of using them as a big boy's toy. Love them or not Gores wants a winner because that means $$$. Until then, he won't be having any fun. Either will the slackers.