"Be Impactful"... Say what?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by CloudWalker, Jun 3, 2011.

1. max

max All-Star

That's kind of the way I see it , or saw it before this thread lol.

We will see

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I see it as an initial investment by the company...I'm HOPING that one day Gores DOES buy the Pistons away from the company and make it his toy...that he loves...like Illitch loves the Wings............

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

For what it's worth:

A good college friend of mine works for PS&E as an upper management guy in the marketing department. I called him a few weeks ago regarding some other work-related stuff and during the "small talk" portion of our conversation, I asked him about the pending sale to Gores.

He told me that everyone at PS&E was in panic mode due to Platinum Equity's rep of tearing down companies and starting over. In fact, at the time of my call; my buddy was in Philly interviewing for another job. I'm not sharing this information to make a point or anything, I'm still not sure what it all means. To me, it's natural for a company to go through some restructuring when new owners take over.

I'm gonna sit back and reserve my judgment until this thing plays out a little bit.

4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The tearing has already begun. Add Koosters name the the list of the 192 newspaper casualties. Where do I order my "Remember the 193" t-shirt?

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Don't be so naive guys. This guy didn't fire the coach. He fired the coach without a replacement in sight. I do not think they're going to replace him. It is called attrition.

This is corporate downsizing at it’s best!!!

6. BallDon'tLie

Agreed.
    We don't need a coach. I played in a rec league a couple years ago and we won our league without having a coach.

7. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

We can have a player-coach scenario. Let Stuck have that role.

I can see it now. Practice will consist of those oh so important collision drills, where you have to yell out "AAAH" as soon as you get near the defender.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I guess the term "impactful" is quite common in corporate circles but how scary for Piston fans is that definition?:cold: How "distasteful" (no pun intended) :sssh: is the example used on the bottom.

Urban Dictionary: impactful

A non-existent word coined by corporate advertising, marketing and business drones to make their work sound far more useful, exciting and beneficial to humanity than it really is. This term is most frequently used in "team building" seminars and conferences in which said drones discuss the most effective ways to convince consumer zombies to purchase crap they clearly do not need or even want.

"The board was convinced that my new ad campaign for arsenic and semen flavored lollipops for tots will be incredibly impactful and will generate heaps of sales."

9. G-man

G-man Starter

aren't we still paying Coach Curry? :stirthepot:

10. G-man

G-man Starter

"The board was convinced that my new ad campaign for arsenic and semen flavored lollipops for tots will be incredibly impactful and will generate heaps of sales." tater tot

uhhh.. sounds like something i'd hear when watching Tosh.O ;)

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Let's try to keep it clean guys.

12. max

max All-Star

Not too sound too callous but how would a change of staff at PS&E effect the Pistons? More or less VIP parting spots , hot dogs would be quarter cheaper/more expensive. Should we care?

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That would be a great move to bring back all the disgraced coaches to finish out their contracts.

14. BallDon'tLie

Not sure how it effects things or if it even matters at all (which is why I prefaced the comment with "For what it's worth).

Just an observation that Mr. Head-tilt and his peeps seem to be poised to clean some house at PS&E in order to trim some fat on the balance sheet.

For the record, as far as I know, my friend still has a job there but he's trying to be proactive in finding a new one in the event that he ends up getting "Koostered".

15. G-man

G-man Starter

absolutely - it could marketed as a cage match!
    kooster the claw Vs chromedome curry

16. Darth Tater

Chromedome Curry...AKA the Human Tablecloth. Sounds like something I would pay to see. :pop2:

17. del

del Team Captain Forum Donor

Reckon everyone is getting a little ahead of themselves here and overanalysing the VERY small information we've HEARD from Gores on the Pistons. As the old addage goes, actions speak louder than words and the first action he's taken is the one we were all wanting in sacking Keuster.

Someone also pointed out accurately that the Pistons purchase is small fry compared to PE's normal operations, hence there is no reason for them to do it unless they genuinely want to see the Pistons succeed.

Another obvious point already made was that the Pistons (and all organisations for that matter) are more profitable and valuable when they are successful in their business. For the Pistons, that is winning basketball games and making playoffs.

Lastly, it appears as though Gores and PE were the only ones currently engaged and willing to purchase the team, so would you all prefer it had not gone ahead and us wallow another season in mediocrity with nothing being done while K.Davidson continued to look for the best payout. Even if Gores and PE look to get in and out quick, I can only see them trying to turn the franchise around so that it is at least going in the right direction so they can sell an asset that has future value.

I am not looking at Gores as the saviour, but after only a week of officially owning the team it is definitely too early to be looking at the glass as half empty or completely empty as some seem to be.

18. Darth Tater

@ Del. Nice post.

19. G-man

G-man Starter

sometimes, to see where a man is going, only takes looking at where he's been.

the intent isn't to diss anyone but to remind that balance comes from minding the middle. this forum like many lives on emotional swells. the truth of most matters generally hides in plain sight.

or

don't get your panties twisted because someone reports something that doesn't fit with your newest worldview.

now i have to go back to work writing fortune cookie messages..

20. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Man who go to bed with itchy rump....wake up with stinky finger...