Bears @ Lions the rematch

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TheeTFD, Oct 29, 2005.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

A clash of 3 and 3 division leading titans! The media made me say that.
    Almost identical teams. good Dee. Weak Off.
    The last time the Lions went to Chitown they where cocky, fresh off a victory over the fumbling Pack. The Bears made it very clear they are much more disciplined team and sent the Lions back to Detroit with an embarrassing 38 to 6 setting down of the laws.
    ...This one will be different. This one is for Rosa Parks. Bear fan it's gonna be ulgy. Lions 17, Bears still need a QB.:nod:

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The Lions do too. And you are right . It's gonna be ugly...but for both teams. :ohwell:

Usually it seems these two teams split their games. But K.J. is going nowhere against them & our receivers & QB are weak.

UGLY score:

Bears 13

Lions 6

3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm thinking the Lions will lose because they never seem to get above 50%. I hope I'm wrong though this game is huge for both teams.

4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Detroit v. Da Bears

Gotta like Garcia's toughness and the way the D has played. But Bly isn't playing so that's huge. And Rogers is questionable. But I think Garcia finds a way: Detroit 21, Chicago 17.

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

We are deep at tackle. It's the secondary that's the weakess. The LBs can help by taking a deeper drop. Damn Orton beat us for aTD with the same route last game.

6. ggazoo69

Another heartbreaker

This team gets harder and harder to watch on a weekly/yearly basis. :doh: Glad the Pistons start up Wednesday. And we still got the Wings. The Lie-downs always let us down.

7. Snerdly

Snerdly Guest

(*& $^(@*_*&%#

Sorry to start my first post that way but...........
    :frusty:
    I am so tired of watching this staff force feed the WCO into a group of players totally unsuited for it!

IMHO the good coaches fit the system to the talent - not the other way around.

I personally think that Millen better step up and have a little "talk" with Mooch. I still am of the opinion that most of the draft choices for the past few years have more talent than the system takes advantage of. I suspect that some of the views expressed of players "doggin'" it in practice or running routes could be put down at least partially to frustration.

So - that is my three cents worth for now - sorry to be so verbose.

On the other hand - thank you for the welcome into your forum. I have been watching the forum at the news but posting rarely because of the general lack of decorum and the fact that if you post any kind of an opinion the name callers come out of the woodwork.

8. ggazoo69

Welcome Snerdly

Yes, there is a lot of truth to what you say about matching the talent to the system. That's why Mooch's name will never be mentioned in the same breath as Parcells, Belicheck, Landry, Shula ... and the list goes on, but Mooch ain't on it. This is a moribound offense with a crappy O-line. And you can't win if you can't rush the ball. Another sub-100-yard rushing effort from the Lions today.

9. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I have really had it with the Lions.I hope they lose the rest of thier games this year fire Millen and Mooch and the NFL strips the Ford's of the right to own the team.

From top down this team reaks.Really sad, injuries aside they are really sad.

10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Another sad display. It is almost comical how they fiind ways to lose.:frusty:

11. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

This defeat makes it clear that none of this mess is solely the fault of either quarterback. Neither one has had enough time to even counter the blitz, let alone look downfield to see who might be open. The offensive and defense schemes both suck. How can a passing game suceed when they only pass to receivers who are standing in one spot. Why not try a slant once in a while? Or a 3 step drop with a lob downfield for our 6 foot four receivers to try to out leap their 5 foot ten secondary?

Why run up the middle when there are 8 men in the box? Poor Jones is losing the will to run this all the time.

Why can't our 7 pass blockers keep out their 4 rushers? Is there a hole in the center of the protection that causes it to breakdown everytime? Maybe Raola? What quarterback would willing take that amount of punishment each week and still have the confidence needed to make good judgements and accurate throws? Forget it.

You all are right. We have 2 schemes that don't fit the personnel and we have an ultra conservative set of coaches who can't recognize that fact or who are unable to make the necessary adjustment.

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I know I will get crucified for this post but...

This is more bad medicine.

One more loss in the next 2 games and we are out of the playoff race for sure. The backend of the sched. is too tough.

I felt sorry for Jeff today, I swear he looked concussed after that helmet on helmet hit. They showed a quick shot of his face and his eyes looked glassy.

I don't know what good can come out of this, but it should be painfully obvious to all that the Lions are very far from being a team that could compete for the playoffs let alone win a game in said event.

Thankfully the Pistons season starts this week and I can go back to ignoring the Lions. My heart doesn't even ache (like it used to) when they lose. I expect it. In fact, the way this team is run and how far away they seem from being legitimately competitive, I almost found myself pulling for Chicago to win it so we could be guaranteed some offseason changes.

I am really tired of being a Lions fan. 20+ years and I have nothing to show for it but some great memories of Barry. If I was an old time fan, I would be certifiably insane.

13. Darth Tater

I'm not sure why you believe someone would want to crucify you for your comments. The truth is fairly obvious to most. I strongly agree with you and I said they were done after the 2nd game of the season. I still like to hear they won, but haven't wasted my time on them since the loss to the Bears in game 2. The team is a mess from top to bottom. Darn Shame, ain't it? :mad:

14. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

This game made it more obvious to me that Garcia doesn't give us any better of a chance to win than Harrington. Sorry, but I think you dance with the girl you brought.

In my opinion, Garcia is done. He looks like he is trying to do things that he used to be able to do, but his body doesn't want to do it anymore.

He also is making the same stupid plays that Harrington has been criticized for: passing to a running back on the slant when it's 3rd and long... passing to guys who are 5 yards short of the 1st down marker... and on top of that, Garcia seems a little reckless out there. Those shovel passes are ridiculous.

The best pass he threw all day was the last one he threw in OT, right on the numbers!

15. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Man, that hit was scarry. I couldn't believe he got up so quickly after that. They showed it about 10 times and it looked worse each time I saw it.

16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I disagree. I think Garcia does give us a better chance of winning this season. But he is definately (and obviously) not the long term answer.

Garcia does make some of the same mistakes that Harrington did, but he does it less often and also makes positive plays that Joey just isn't capable of (or at least hasn't shown us yet). Scrambling and improvising.

I actually like Joey and think that he can be a decent starting QB in this league, just not in Detroit. He's already been made the scapegoat for an organization full of underachievers and poor decision makers.

The QB, wether its Joey, Jeff, Dan, Charlie Batch, Mike McMahon, Scott Mitchell, Erik Kramer, Rodney Peete, Andre Ware, Gus Ferrotte, Ty Detmer, Dave Krieg, etc. etc. is far from the biggest problem with this team.

I hate to use the injury excuse, but I think that might have been the difference today. Shaun Rogers and Dre Bly out on D and their top 3 receivers on O were out. All of the Bears' good runs were up the middle, where Big Baby would have been. Bly would have been matched up on Mohammed and taken him away for the most part, and maybe had a pick or 2. Having NFL caliber receivers to throw to would have been nice as well. Vines did pretty well, but he shouldn't be your starter. Martinez is not an NFL WR.

Oh well, no matter what the reasons the outcome is always the same.

Same old Lions.

17. ggazoo69

It's time to think about some long-term answers for this team. I wonder if Orlovsky should see some time. I always laugh at the one or two posters over at detnews that call for this guy to come in, but when we get the receivers back, it might be time to let this guy air it out. He has a stronger arm than both Harrington and Garcia. I think the defense is pretty solid, but the offense is like watching UM this season. No imagination, trying to force the run with a bad offensive line. It's sad. But it's like a car wreck for me. I haven't been able to look away. Yet.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

There are positives to be taken from this game. And some hard realities to face. Good- the Dee was a lucky bounce or two away from scoring. The bad- in 2 years the Bears with Lovie Smith have passed the Lions. And it aint over until its over. 9 more games to duke out. We played smart but got no help from the running game. We couldn't go deep to make space to run. The special teams, KO and RET. were ineffective. Eddie D. better get his act together.
    Oh, and Garcia has a life expectancy of 3 games if he gets knocked around like this some more!
    We played a smart close to the vest game. Fine. But why didn't Garcia get a couple of first downs with his feet. I kept waiting for him to sweep behind Sledge and Jones.

19. Darth Tater

Call me crazy, but I actually think Orlovsky is the best guy we have. Why put him in, though? Yeah, he will get battle tested, but he'll probably get seriously injured plus his confidence will be ruined like Harringtons. Sigh.

I really believe they will win maybe 2...possibly 3 more no matter what. 5- 11 or 6-10. That's pretty horrible in the weak Central division.

With MSU going down the toilet this year and the Lions keeping them company, I sure appreciate the Red Wings and Pistons.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Mike O'Hara lays the smackdown on the Wet Toast offense.

Burning Questions - Burning Answers - The fall of Rome
    -