Being an American player in Europe

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by LanierFan, Nov 18, 2005.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

http://www.probasketballnews.com/celestand_1115.html

Former Villanova player (and LA Laker) John Celestand recently wrote an outstanding article about the American experience overseas. If you think it's an easy ride, think again.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Interesting perspective... Kinda Darko in reverse.

I'm sure that if you surveyed the board... a high % would love to trade places with John Celestand to play basketball for a living and make six figures.

I'm sure if you asked Rickey Paulding who grew up in one of Detroit's toughest hoods (Highland Park) the Euro experience wasn't so bad...
    it beats getting your ass handed to you cause you were wearing the wrong colors.... just another perspective of Americans having it tough.

BTW, I don't think Rickey has been picked up in Europe yet after being released by the Kings.
  3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Nice article.

Gives me a greater respect for athletes who play over seas.
  4. adrianoc

adrianoc Second Round Draft Pick

There's a little exageration in Celestand's article and some wrong informations too. Most of what he says does happen in Europe and a little in South America, but it's not all that.

Beginning with the pressure on americans to deliver. I'm sure it used to be like that, as it is in soccer with any Brazilian or Argentinian guy who goes overseas. But it's really not the same anymore. Guys in Europe know that they get the rest of the rest of Americans, and they got a lot better too, so all that pressure's not the same, cuz they don't expect as much from Americans and know they have their own talents. Here in South America, I've seen some great American playas and some lousy ones, but there wasn't all that pressure on any of them.

The thing about the car, I have never seen that happen.

The payment thing, it's true, it happens in small countries and small clubs. It's bizarre, and goes on even in Brazilian soccer.

Bologna's not the only city in Europe with two bball clubs, not even the only one in Italy. But fans are indeed fanatic. And that situation coulda happened as much to Nique as to any Italian player who missed the final shot.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thanks for the insight Adriano, and thanks for the nice article at Hoopsworld today. It's great to read well thought out pieces.
  6. Ayelet

Ayelet Second Round Draft Pick

nice, sometimes american player can't find themselves in the NBA so they go to Europe. and believe me, when I watch Antony Parker evey week I just want to cry cuz no one gave him a chance in the NBA. and here his's the mvp of the eurleague 2 years in a row :)
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Rather have Parker than Delfino or Evans any day.
    Wasn't Evans an MVP a few years back?... we're talking mad skilz over there.
  8. roscoe36

Parker is a really good player. A lot more versatile than Mo.

The problem is that a good Euroleague player can make just as much if not more than a mediocore NBA player.

When the clock is ticking through your 20s and you have a family to feed, pounding your head against the wall Paul Shirley style is not very Zen.
  9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As far as I know, it's the only city in Europe that has two GOOD basketball teams- maybe that's what he meant in the article.
    A good peace- even in the little countries you got the pressure on the big Americans to produce but many of them are just lazy since they know that they're simply on a somehow higher level than the others- most Americans I know in Europe are very similar- big, strong, great leap, nice dunking ability and absolutely no fundamental skills (especially when it comes to jumpshots and basketball- intelligence on court).
  10. mire

mire Second Round Draft Pick

belgrade has 2 good basketball teams, partisan and red star

many others too
  11. max

max All-Star

Informative article. I can't see how missing shots results in lack of pay? People have already bought the tickets. Probably just some smaller franchises over-extending themselfs.
  12. roscoe36

I've known (read somewhere) for awhile that it's decent money to play basketball in some European leagues.

Here is an excerpt from an article I caught on Hoopshype today.

http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball.../sports/115355995850410.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

That's not great money, but for an undrafted player who viewed basketball as a career first, it's definitely not bagging groceries.
  13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, that isn't bad money at all. $130,000 tax free and all expenses paid for you. That's a lot of free spending money.
  14. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I hope these guys aren't thinking of it as just "spending money" because there's no way of knowing how long it will last. If they keep a lid on their expenses, there are a lot of things a resourceful young ex-player can do with a few hundred thousand he's stashed away, like go back to school or start a business. It's not like the NBA, where most guys can afford to be somewhat reckless with their money and still be in great shape when they retire.
  15. roscoe36

Very true lurker. To play your game and make/save $800,000 before the age of 30 is very interesting. You can set up yourself and your family if spent wisely.

Although the player in the article I posted doesn't play major minutes, he is in one of the best leagues. A guy like Rodney Billups in Latvia may not have the opportunity to make as much. Although he was one of the most popular players there in his rookie season, so perhaps he has a big payday ahead of him.
  16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Very true. I was actually going to put "spending/saving/investing money" in my original post, but figured I'd just lump it all in as spending money.

Hopefully with that much dough and very few expenses, some if not most of that money finds its way to the bank, etc. Especially considering how little job security is involved in professional sports.
  17. Subtle Savage

Subtle Savage Second Round Draft Pick

There is certainly a lot of pressure on American players playing outside the US, particularly because the number of foreign players allowed in those leagues is limited... so if the American is not doing great or the team losses, the first thing that will happen is many times the American getting cut, and another one will be hired to replace him.
    There are lots of American players playing in Europe and South America, and they are some of the best players of those leagues.

About the article, well John Celestand is exaggerating. He must have had a horrible personal experience. He certainly didn't have a bright career in Europe. If I am not wrong, he is playing in the weak German league right now.
    There are lots of American players who have a succesfull and happy stay in other countries. Some of them even nationalize and play for those countries.