1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Breaking News Ben Gordon has been traded to Charlotte for Corey Maggette

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

My unsubstantiated assessment is that two teams interested in making a draft pick move shifted assets around until they found something neither was really looking for.

If we could squeeze assets out of Milwaukee, I wouldn't mind trading down. I've always like Shaun Livingston.

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I agree that the timing is good.
    But, finally any kind of significant deal coming out of the front office.

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It was a trade, but it is tough to get excited about it. The Pistons have some flexibility which is good but I'm cowering thinking about what they might do with it. I was also kind of hoping they'd be adding draft picks. Of all the acquisitions a trade could net Captain Space was at the bottom of my list.

How long is that amnesty thing good for? I ask because if Joe just traded Gordon who is owed a ton of $$ and hasn't been good in 3 years with the teams amnesty provision still in play then maybe he can trade CCG too.

Aren't the Bobcats supposed to be broke?

There is something really depressing about having Corey Maggette on the team. Just picturing him in the uniform or sitting at the press conference is bumming me out. I guess that makes him a wash with Gordon.

On the bright side, a 32 year old oft-injured and currently needs knee surgery player is the most athaletic player the Pistons have had in a while. I think he is also going to be a great mentor to Kyle Singler.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With a name of Lurker, he does have a certain reputation that he must try to uphold.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

I clicked on this thread within .000009 seconds of seeing it. I was so eager to read it that I figured it must have been a joke.

The more I think about it the more I'm starting to think that this is a great trade by Joe. Just getting out of Gordon's deal and getting another chance to "be impactful" is good enough.

With his catch phrase I do not see Tommy Gores signing off on paying guys like Gordon and CV again.

Can someone please point out that this cap space will allow the Pistons to take an uneven (read Superstar) contract back in a trade so the Pistons will be sitting pretty the next time a star like Dwight Howard wants out of town?

S.J. likes this.
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Long time no see.

7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I have mixed feelings about this. I'll feel better if Maggette passes the leg on the wall test.

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well referring to that story in the thread...taking him in 2007 would have probably been the move that would gotten the Pistons past the Celtics in the ECF instead of relying on Jarvis Hayes and Walter Hermann. He may have even challenged Tay for the starting SF instead of being the backup. In fact that 07-08 season was Magette's best season (with the Clippers) and he has been tailing off since.

Hopefully Joe has pulled a fast one on MJ and the cap space will ultimately afford us decent player to add to the mix next summer.

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

I just got home from work when I noticed a friend of mine on the street. I invited her up, and she gave me a bottle of Chardonnay. She left, and the Chardonnay stayed. I was getting Cheevered when I decided to check in on the forum. Imagine my surprise to see this move! It's been three years since Joe made a trade! I'm in shock. I feel like Hooper just blasted me a free T-Shirt, and it says Maggette on the back.

detteam, BallDon'tLie, S.J. and 4 others like this.
  10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I thought this was a belated April Fools prank when I first saw it - no joke. Now, while this trade does free up some Capp Spayce, I would hope this facilitates another move, because that SF log jam isn't getting any better. And now we have no actual backup SG on the roster...wonder if the 'draft a guard' itch is acting up again for JD?
    If we keep Maggette, one of our many SFs are going to a new team. If we find no takers for CV, JD may finally use the amnesty clause on him. Pick is also lottery protected for next year, and top 8 protected the year after that. Now everything will hinge on what happens after.

11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Maggette, Prince, Daye, Singler - all-star SF:s. I'd really love this trade if it's what Joe needed to get the courage to dump Tay. Go amnesty on Chaz and we're out of every bad contract 2013 - Gordon gone, Tay gone, Chaz gone, Max gone, Maggette gone... I'm starting to warm up to this trade!

linwood likes this.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Have the Chicago fans put a curse on Ben Gordon?

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Can we also put this Charlotte thing to rest? Just move them to Seattle so we can stop the charade. They're like a scorned lover trying to give a second chance but it's not working and awkward.

Can you imagine if we just traded away Ben Gordon in the last year of his deal for a longer version of a the same bad contract like the Bobcats just did?

They should see how far they can take it to their fans by trading for Charlie V also.

14. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Don't forget to follow the newest Piston on Twitter.

15. linwood

linwood All-Star

16. MSU.Prodigy

MSU.Prodigy Second Round Draft Pick

As a life-long pistons fan, I had pretty much given up hope when we signed Charlie V and Ben G a couple years back. Being stuck in what is essentially the NBA purgatory - good enough to not be in the lottery, but bad enough to just not make the playoffs - seemed what our Pistons were doomed to be.

Getting rid of Gordon's contract is a huge step in becoming a play-off contender in the future. I have no qualms with us not seriously competing for a ship for the next 5-6 years. As long as we can get in the 4-5 seed area (approx where the pacers are currently) within the next 2-3 years, my expectations will be satisfied. Giving up the first-round pick did bother me a little, but honestly we have some decent pieces in place with stuckey, knight, monroe moving forward that a draft pick outweighs having some cap flexibility.

As for Maggette, I think having him as a one year rental is ok. If he proves to be as useful or more useful than tayshaun (highly unlikely), then we will have options. If he's a flop we can literally just let him walk. I'm still hesitant to trade Prince just because of the lack of readily available SFs who have his skill set.

TLDR: Great move Joe. Hope you make 2-3 more off-season adjustments so that we can crack the playoffs soon!

coynejeremy likes this.
  17. del

del Team Captain Forum Donor

I think with the playing time, his numbers will definitely improve and we will all have that "why didn't he do that for us" attitude - I'm going to try and remember that the fit just wasn't right when he has his career season next year.

As with mostly everyone else on here, I see this as a positive (for the Gordon out step) and am hoping this is one step closer to a CV amnesty. I also hope this is the beginning of some more steps in the right direction.

Feeling very Pistons after this annoucement. May even confuse the Swiss and wear my Carhartt/Old School Pistons logo shirt to the outdoor showing of the Euro quarter final tonight

18. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, I hope this trade be the first or a few more in the offseason to sharp this team a little.

I'm wearing my pistons jacket as usual, but today... it is feeling a little better.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Why doesn't this thread appear in the scroll up top if it labeled as breaking news?

20. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

The reality is that how good of a trade this is is dependent upon what Dumars does next. He's always said that he doesn't want to make moves that doesn't make his team better, and I don't see how this, on its own, makes the team better. That's why I don't think he's done, and the most exciting part of all of this is that it signals that he's several steps ahead of the game at the moment, sacrificing a pawn to set up his board.

Magette's is an expiring contract, so next offseason (assuming they amnesty Villanueva) they're going to have Knight, Stuckey, Prince, Jerebko, Monroe, Daye, Singler (probably) and their picks this year all signed with (currently) about $20 million to work with. Then, in the offseason, they'll be able to dip into an unrestricted free agent class that includes Chris Paul, Devin Harris, Monta Ellis (if he takes the ETO), Kevin Martin, Manu Ginobli, Josh Smith, Shawn Marion (if he takes the ETO), David West, DeJuan Blair, Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, and, yes, Dwight Howard.

Off to dreamworld for a second:
    Let's pretend that they trade Tay and Stuckey to Toronto for Jose Calderon and a 1st next year (lottery protected 2013, top 8 protected 2014). Then they lure in Dwight Howard and Chris Paul at $17 million apiece. Now they can run out a squad of Paul/Knight/Jerebko/Monroe/Howard. That's a hell of a squad, IMHO. That was fun! Now let's step away from dreaworld...

So how important this trade was all depends on what happens next. Player/pick value-wise, the Pistons got hosed. But if Capp Spayce turns out to be a dynamic force for the Pistons, then it was a good move.

The Panda and Slippy like this.