Ben Pippen Wallace

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Apr 10, 2006.

1. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Yeah man I know. Just wanted to see this incident explored further. As you indicate it isn't everyday we experience this type of thing. I'm sure it would just be another day to someone like LB.

Larry Bird that is.

2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Ben !@#$% Wallace?
    I thought this was a family friendly forum.

3. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

This is already a tired topic, but I gotta put in my two cents.

Buck is a Pistons fan, and a Detroit fan. The point of this thread is to sort out "the incident", and not crucify Buckeyes. (I hate Ohio as much as the next guy, but Buck has proven his worth as a Pistons poster, so let it be)

Ben has been saying for a while now, that he wishes this team would play differently. The coach obviously hasn't paid attention, and the players haven't really either.

I say the real disappointing thing is that it took an "incident" like this to make them beat the crap out of the next team they played from start to finish.

Is Ben the emotional leader of this team? You bet ya.

Have Sheed and Chauncey been showboating most of the last few months? You bet ya. I am best 3 point shooter in the league, and I'll try to prove it again, even if I don't.

Has the team been so cocky that it has sleep-walked through the first 3 quarters of a lot of games, and then needed to come from behind to win? Yup.

Has Ben stated public that he's sick of it? Yep.

Has the team responded? Nope.

Has the coach responded? Nope.

Does Ben know, as well, if not better than the other players on the team, what it takes to "make it"? Yep.

Has been been named Defensive player of the year, because he coasted through quarters at a time and relied on his incredible talent and skill to pull him through? Are you kidding me?

Someone said "He is a professional who gets payed to play, and he should be playing no matter what..." Okay, that's all well and good, but what about the other guys on the roster? Aren't they professionals too?

In my eyes, this is like a parent saying "If you keep doing this annoying behavior, I'm going to take away your toys..." over and over again, and when the parent finally does it, the child looks shocked and amazed.

To me the saddest part about this, is that it had to come from a player, and not the coaching staff. I think Flip is on eggshells, and he needs to stop acting like he is. They didn't bring him in here to book the hotels and the flights, the brought him in to coach, and if that means kicking some rear ends, then he needs to do it.

This really reminds me of a lot of the work situations I've been in. Co-workers are slacking, and you mention it to the manager repeatedly, and they do nothing. So the people who are working their butts off, do something to upset the slackers, and management gets mad. When the real problem is not the workers who confronted the slackers, it was management. It was management's responsibility in the first place. (And if we don't win the championship this year, Flip is gone.)

Did Ben handle this the best way? No.

Did he make his point? You bet ya.

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good post Starov, all of it.

5. Capn

Capn First Round Draft Pick

I don't have a problem with the players making statements versus the coach. Look back at the Bad Boys era. You had Lamb and Zeke all in the faces of the other players. Both Lamb and Zeke had an over zealous competitive side to them, much like what Ben has. Only thing, only Ben seems to have that competitive fire in him. The others seem to have to be lit in order for them to respond. Hence the whole concept of being behind from the get go.

It cracks me up how piston players say the same ol' thing "Yeah, we kind of came out sluggish. We always feel like we can turn that switch on whenever we need it. We need to come out firing instead of waiting to turn it on....blah blah blah...." But they never do. They talk the talk but hardly ever walk the walk. I'm glad Ben did what he did. He is the emotional leader of this team. I think it's good timing too with the playoffs just around the corner.

We can't rely on the switch always being there for us to turn on and win. Sometimes the switch will flip, but the light won't go on. We need to get going from start to finish. That's the way it needs to be to win the 'ship.