Ben to meet with Bulls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jul 1, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

Ben is going to meet with the Bulls later today ( Sat July 1 ). According to Mlive.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1143564006297030.xml&coll=1

Blakely and I am sure the rest of the local papers will try to brush it off but I don't like it. The Bulls were not supposed to be interested - were they?

Article goes on about a possible sign and trade for Chandler if Ben agrees to terms. Ben is an unrestricted FA and the Bulls have the cap space. Unless they want to dump Chandler I cannot see why they would want to give us something.

A guy that really wants to be here would not visit another team on day 1. He obviously is thinking about leaving or he would not waste his time. He would have just mailed in an agreement with Dumars.

What would really burn me is if the Bulls sign him for 45mil over 3 years as the article suggests and Dumars does not budge over the 12mil mark for lux tax concerns.

This is not good so far. Lets see how it plays out. Ben would put Chic over the top and kill the Pistons in the same blow. It would be a good move for them.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's reasonable to expect Ben to do his due diligence to drive up his value.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's how the game is played. I would rather Ben visit teams now, and get it out of the way ASAP than screw around until July 11th.

Once his market value is determined, things will get easier for Joe.

I just don't want Wallace/Tellum dragging this out until the 12th or later. Get an offer, see where the Pistons are, and dig right into negotiations. Ben did instruct his agent to "get it done quickly".
  4. max

max All-Star

I suppose. This is not the 2000 Bulls with no talent and that fat GM. They have a lot of potential and just got a decent rookie.

The question is if the Bulls are all set to offer Ben 15mil/yr are the Pistons going to match? I would hope so. Can make up that 3 mil by not signing guys like Davis to multi-million yr deals to sit on the bench.
  5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

The thing that has always bothered me about the Bulls interest in Ben is that they could be a contender to go deep into the playoffs in the next five years. I don't see Ben being willing to go to a really lousy team and think he has said as much. That's why the Bulls are the most dangerous interested party to me. I don't think it's a good sign that he will meet with them the first moment possible in free agency.

But as Roscoe pointed out, now he's in that free agent game. And his agent knows how to play it. So he could be going through the valuing phase of the game with this "testing of the waters."

Ben could have the best intentions of re-signing, but if the right offer comes and it looks like he might get to play Big Ben ball instead of Flip ball...I dunno, I think all bets are off.

Count me down as moderately panicked at this point. :fear: :scared:
  6. max

max All-Star

Is it common to fly down to another city on the very 1st day? I would buy that argument if his agent was fielding the phone.

You guys are probably right. His agent probably is trying to ruffle the Pistons into increasing the offer. Who knows. I have a feeling we are not going to know until sometime next week.

This is the same thing they were saying when Alen Hounston flew down to NY back in 05. I know its going back a stretch but we haven't had too many high profile FA's.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If you were the Bulls, would you want to make an offer to Ben without talking to him? Without him meeting your coach? Without showing him your facilities?

It's all a prelude to an offer, or an expedition to gauge interest. I think it will be very unlikely that Ben comes out of this meeting today with a contract unless Joe made a lowball offer and turned off his cell phone.
  8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Remember Ben was the guy last year who stated that when his free agency period arrived, teams were given notice not to woo him, wine & dine him because he is a pistons for life.

I may be able to find this article somewhere in the detnews archives.

I agree it's not a good sign at all that Ben is visiting the Bulls.
  9. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

I'm starting to think that Ben is gone. Given his positive statements earlier in the year and the more recent comments/actions regarding Flip - this may be a "it's him(Flip) or me" situation. Ben was extremely frustrated in the second half of the season and he has made it clear that he has little respect for Flip's coaching which puts Joe in an impossible position - he just can't fire another coach. Hopefully Joe can salvage the situation.

Our last three major FA's (Sheed, Rip, and Tay) were all restricted, so the situation is different, but they did not visit any teams to my knowledge.
  10. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Ben deserves to go where he wants to go. The Pistons will survive. Ben will weigh his options. He has already won a ring. I am sure he wants another one, but he will go where he thinks his abilities and leadership are needed. That's it.
  11. max

max All-Star

12. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I think Ben has been talking more the last 2 weeks in the media than he has his whole career in Detroit. LOL!!!

I think and this is my opinion that Ben is upset because there was a changing of the guard this season. In the past it was a defense first mind set and Ben was the leader of the team and Chauncey was like 2nd in comand. This season Ben was put on the back burner and it became Chauncey and the Detroit Pistons. Chauncey became the spokes person of the team the guy the media wanted to talk to not Ben.

I think the Bulls are very interested in Ben not only for his defensive presence but to stick it to the Pistons. I hope Joe D. has Al Harrington's agent on speed dial. We may need the extra offense if Ben goes.
  13. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I am very concerned about this trip. Those of you who are not that worried are either in the dump Ben camp, or you're fooling yourselves. Ben is in Chicago on the first possible day of negotiations? He's got one foot out the door. :mad: Joe better come up with something big or it's teal time.
  14. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Ben's in Chicago the first day because he (And Joe) wants to know what their offer is. That way we know where we're at. I highly doubt Ben gets an offer and signs up immediately with them. He'll let Joe know, and Joe will decide what to do from there (to match or let him walk).
  15. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

I think this is a wonderful post. I've been thinking about the Ben/Billups dynamic all season, but I haven't really expressed it. I think there's something to what you say, and it's probably worth further exploration. Billups himself seemed to understand this, showering Ben with praise in his post game quotes near the end of the season, almost like he was saying "Still your team, Body."

And Al Harrington is one of the few guys that would lessen the blow of Ben leaving. Trust me, I'll be sick if Ben leaves. I probably won't eat for 4 weeks. But I like Harrington, though I don't know how he fits with Sheed and Tay. (Would Sheed become a center?) Yes, Harrinton & Wells together might soften the potential loss of one the greatest Pistons of all time. But never completely.
  16. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Maybe Ben really did mean to do the team a favor by taking less money last year (by not talking about an extension) while intending to resign this summer. Maybe he did intend to hire a lawyer to handle the negotions because he wasn't going to negotiate with anyone but Joe. Maybe he did mean that other teams need to forget about him. Maybe he did believe that he would retire a Piston. If we take Ben at his word (which I do) and the situation has gotten so bad for that he would change his mind about so many things, it's very reasonable to assume he has changed his mind about staying here as well.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

In a recent article they said that right after the final loss to the Heat some of Ben's teammates came away believing that Ben would be back... My personal opinion is that there's a pact to stay together.

If you're the Bulls and you know Ben wants to stay in Detroit why not stick it to the Pistons financially?... worse case is you over pay for a talented defensive center.

I think the Bulls would be better off going after a younger player...
    even with all of this cap space they've got some big contracts to re-sign next year.
  18. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly, does anyone here really want to go back to the days of the Pillsbury Pistons?
  19. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I think it's good this happened now not next week or later.Everyone needs to see where they stand and then all can move forward with plans A through Z.The Pistons,Bulls and Ben,this is posturing and feeling out time.Or as someone else put it screw your conference foe time make the Pistons oversign so we are strapped knowing Davidson won't go into luxury hell.I don't want to see Ben go and maybe he is doing this to gauge interest and get a deal done with the Pistons.Davidson owes Ben as far as I'm concerned for all he has done to help turn this teal team back to the top of the NBA.Will he and Joe at the cost of keeping this team at the top in coming years?
    I would love to be have a tap on thier cellphones.
  20. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Just dawned on me: even Duncan flirted with leaving the Spurs - HIS SPURS, a team deeply devoted to him and to high-quality basketball - and of course he didn't leave (i forget who was courting him). This is just how the negotiation game is played.

Ben will be back.