Ben to meet with Bulls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jul 1, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

Yes I remember that as well. I also recall Dumars breifly contacting Ben about an early extension back in 04 but Ben did not want to hurt the team and assured Dumars not to worry.

It would take time which I do not have this weekend. If you did chronical the events you would see how much the Piston/Ben relationship has deteriated. Not to say it cannot be resolved with a matching offer, when an unrestricted FA is spending his 1st free day in another city we cannot assume anything of his loyalty.

These same media guys who are assuring us not to worry will be writing articles on how much better off we are if Ben does leave in the "New NBA". Then its back to teal time.
  2. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

True. It was with Orlando and it wasn't just flirtation. I remember reading all the ESPN.com Rumor stuff and most of the analysts sp? thought McGrady/Duncan/Hill was a done deal. Nevertheless, all of the sudden the Spurs inked him to a 7 year extension and the talked ceased.

Nevertheless, even if Chicago offers Ben 15 mil/yr it is only three years. Though it maybe a few million too high on a yearly basis, three years is not a very risky contract to secure an All-Star if for some reason Ben degrades considerably. So, for Dumars not to pony up the extra million or two (Mo evans 7 mil is off the books now......) would be stupid.

Also, enough Al Harrington talk. True hes a great player, but we need a CENTER. Imagine having Sheed and Harrington on the court at the same time. Prince would be the only player trying to snag a board. Though we would probably lead the league in three pointers made by players over 6'8.
  3. max

max All-Star

Yes but Duncan almost left. He was very serious about leaving and finally decided to stay in SAN becasue of how well the community treated him.

I agree on Harrington. He just never did it for me. He can put up stats but is kind of a tweener and we really need some size. If Ben does leave then I would like to see more of an emphasis on size.
  4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

If Ben leaves then you have to get what you can quickly without tearing up the team. A lot of teams will not want to trade with us because we have whooped up on them for 3 years now. Why would they want to. They rather see us sink to the middle of the pack again. Al Harrington is a free agent is young and his game is still growing. If Ben leaves it means we are retooling and redefining who we are as a team. Who else is available? You want to go and try to get Kenyon Martin from Denver for a case of Faygo and bag of Better Made chips? I like Kenyon's game but he could not stay on the court and I would not want to touch his contract.
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

Shaq won 3 rings with the Lakers, and left for the Heat. I never thought they would let him go.

I really think Ben might leave, irregardless of the money he is offered. One of the very best things about the 2004/2005 Pistons was knowing that if we were down by less than 15 going in to the 4th quarter, that it was almost a guaranteed win for the stones. Ben, Rasheed, and Tayshaun would COMPLETELY shutdown the opposing team. Especially Ben.

This year, in the crunchiest of crunch times, in the 4th quarter, facing elimination in the conference finals, Ben Wallace sits and watches from the bench. :mad:

If I were Ben, I would go to Chicago and win another ring.
  6. max

max All-Star

Windless - its all busness. There is no hate or resentment that would preclude another team from trading with us. I agree its a given that teams do not like trading within the same Conf but thats more of a standard that anything against one of the frontrunners.

lin - the most shocking thing to me about last post-season is what you noted about the 4th quarter. That used to be Piston time. As the playoffs progressed I was hoping for at least a 10 point lead going into the 4th because I knew we would need it.

If we do lose Ben then we may get lucky and find a center or 2 to help out Davis in one of the 3-headed monster center rotations. Then with Sheed, Dyess and the rest of the guys we should win at least 50 games.

But we are going to need a lot of good luck. Hopefully one of those young guys can make a difference. Take Prince out of mix - do we still win in 04? You need some luck along the way by having some of your young players step up. Thats something we have not had in some time.
  7. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Jason Terry just announced he is intending to resign with the Mavs and has an oral agreement on a new contract with the team. I found his comments very interesting on ESPN.com.

"I was very fortunate when this team got me out of Atlanta," Terry said of the August 2004 trade that brought him to the Mavs as their replacement for Steve Nash.

"The city of Dallas embraced me right away and I'll never forget that. This is where I've always wanted to be. I was not going to go around and search for offers or make visits or anything like that."

Makes you really think and then wonder where Ben's head is at. When I first read Jason Terry's comments I thought maybe Ben had forgot where he came from and how Detroit made him the star he is. Then I started thinking more and more that maybe Joe D. and for the most part the Pistons organization forgot where they came from and forgot there history. It seems like we are repeating history again. This feels awfully like the Grant Hill and Alan Houston contract years. The Pistons notorously cheap should have had Ben's deal redone in 2004 when they won the title. They should have tore up his contract and rewarded him and tacked on 3 years making him free in 2009 when he probably would be ready to hang them up. So I can't fully blame Ben for trying to get his pot of gold. The Pistons left themselves open to this which makes me ask a bigger question.

Do the Pistons really want Ben Wallace back? They can talk all they want but actions speak louder than words. Maybe Flip has Davidsons ear and he wants Ben out inorder to get full control of the team. Ben seems like the most out spoken and oppsosed to Flip's offense and coaching style.
  8. max

max All-Star

All good questions.

Yes Terrys actions are what Ben was supposed to do and what you would expect from a player sold on your team.

I think Dumars wants him back but only for a certain amount as he has been stating.

Guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out.
  9. kpaav

Ben is goood, but as you have all heard the NBA is changing. The year the Stones won it all was the watershed moment of the change. Now with the emergence of the 2003 draft class the league is moving to athletism. Is Ben good...sure..but who are the Premier Big Men. (besides Shaq whom is an anomaly) Amare, Bosh, Nowitski, Gasol all are shooters with a good first step. The league isn't for dinosaurs like Wallace. People tout his ridiculous defense, but this is in the past. Even if Ben still had 2004 skills he wouldnt be as effective because the league DOESN'T allow his game anymore. When Ben is great is when the officials allow ALOT of contact and this is just not so.
  10. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Nonsense. Ben is now unable to play his game because the officials won't let him? Is that why, when you look at the number of fouls per 48 minutes, he is 195th in the league?

Ben's game does not involve a lot of contact. He is strong and athletic, but is simply not big enough to overpower frontcourt players. Instead, he is the defensive counterpart to a pure point guard, in that he reads how a playing is going to unfold before almost anyone else on the floor.

What's with all the criticism of Ben on this board? Were you people around in the teal era? Do you have any idea what that was like? If Ben leaves, we will see a Pistons team that is no longer able to play team defense at an elite level, and we won't see the Pistons in the finals again until Joe blows it up and starts all over.
  11. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:amen: :amen: :amen:
  12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Finally, some reason.:nod:
  13. kpaav

Im not saying I think Ben should be given away, but he is not worth 15 million a season, im sorry. Was he underpaid during the last few years..yes, but that doesn't mean now Joe should hand him a 60 million dollar contract. In three years when Ben and Billups are old old men getting there 18 million a season and 50% of the cap poeple will be wishing we didnt give in to there demands. I agree we most likely will be a worse team without Ben, but I rather have the flexability to get better then be a team with no room to get better for 6 years. Look who is signing max contracts--melo, wade, lebron, bosh, Amare. Im sorry but Ben is too one dimensional to be in that salary class.
  14. kpaav

Also, Im not saying Ben is not able to play his game...his game is fine. Im saying the league is not allowing Ben's type of game to make as strong of an impact as it did. I can throw out some stats to. Wades 11 FTA per game in the postseason and subsequent NBA championship. Or Ben's 1 BPG and Postseason ouster.

I like Ben I think he is a great player, but just watch the games. The league is Guard orientated now and emphasizes offense. Maybe I missed something though.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

Amare hasn't played for a year. Melo puts up points, but his team is still out in the first round. You cats that are so worried about the extra couple of million to keep the 4 time DPOY act like its your money.

Pay up, or put on the teal.
  16. kpaav

True lets just spend as much money as possible since its not ours. I bet a lot of Knicks fans would agree that fiscal responsability means nothing.
  17. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I fully agree with kpaav that Joe Dumars is as lousy a GM as Isiah Thomas is.
  18. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I must agree because no matter what Ben is paid and I think Davidson owes him,look at the Mavs.What was thier payroll? Moneybags could open his pockets and resign Ben without blinking an eye while adding depth on the bench.His choice,Ben is worth it, we will be sorry if he leaves.Hope not but...I don't ever want teal back let alone this year.
  19. kpaav

Yep thats what I said. No, Joe is a great GM because he hasn't overspent on players. That said, why start now?
  20. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Because it's necessary. Joe got lucky with a confluence of events that allowed him to win a title with a group of ridiculously underpaid players. You can't hope for that kind of luck every year and expect consistent results.

I'll take your New York Knicks and raise you the Los Angeles Clippers.