Ben to meet with Bulls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jul 1, 2006.

1. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

touche. I guess I can agree that we should spend some extra millions, I just don;t want to wake up to a huge 6 year deal..unless it is descending money over the years.

2. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Terry didn't shop around and signed up with the Mavs immediately. I thought Ben wasn't all about the money. I am sure he could have already told Joe what his expectations for a new deal were. What market value does he exactly need to establish? If he clearly wanted to be a Piston they would be negotiating now without visiting anyone. I am not cool with the visit. There are examples on the Detroit Wings team, like Lidstrom and Yzerman, who wouldn't think of another team no matter what the offer. Loyalty goes both ways.

3. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

It wasn't Ben who signed Flip Saunders.

4. anakin

Flips signing had nothing to do with being loyal to Ben.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Forget all of this nonsense about loyalty.

It's assumed that the Pistons are the highest bidders, or that they have given a fair (which is very subjective when applied to Ben) offer.

If Ben was offered 4 years starting at $10 million, and Chicago comes in at $15 to start over 4, hey, that's almost $23 million more dollars.

Sio if Chicago offers $23 million more , does that make Chicago more loyal than Detroit? If Ben goes to Detroit irregardless and shows loyalty by giving up $23 million will anyone remember when he misses a free throw?

This is business.

6. kpaav

Also there is this "Pistons owe Ben Big time," but what about the return. Ben was a nobody. A D2 undersized undrafted free agent with very raw skills. Yet the stones took a chance on him and gave him a 6 yr 30 million dollar contract.

7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Reported in LA Times that Evans was traded to free up salary for Ben. Don't see why Bulls would want to trade Chandler. If we were to lose Ben, Chandler would lesson the pain. He has talent and is much younger. Harrington in no way can even do that. He is just another decent player who can't get his own shot.

Pistons are in a bind. Ben is a key to our overall excellence but probably not worth the dollars strictly speaking.

What will happen next year if we don't win even with Ben and then Chauncey will be up the year after? We better sign Ben and win or else this unit may be broken up. To win we need either the development of Maxiel or a bona fide player brought in. Anything less than that and we are looking at tougher decisions down the line.

8. kpaav

Thank you

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We have to hope Chicago doesn't ake a serious go at Ben and we get Ben for 10-12 million. If Ben doesn't resign or we sign him for the max we will be in trouble.

10. anakin

By the same token don't get pissed if the Pistons choose financial restraint, its business. Pay him what his game is worth on the court.

11. roscoe36

I will be upset if Dale Davis is our starting center when the playoffs start.

I will be upset if Joe not only doesn't compete aggressively for Ben, but also doesn't use all of his other resources to put the best possible team on the court.

Business is results oriented.

Food for thought (old timers might get this), are the Bulls pulling a Jon Koncak on us?

12. anakin

What can he do if Ben chooses to walk except ask him the courtesy of a sign and trade? Your article on the cap situation doesn't seem to indicate a whole lot of wiggle room. The only way out is trades and the only tradeable assets are: Tay,Rip, CB and Dice/Davis to much lesser extents. Dice has a no-trade clause I think.

13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You may be right. The Pistons might be bidding against themselves, with the Bulls just jacking up the price to put Detroit in a bind.

14. roscoe36

It seems to be a little late nowto wonder what Joe could have done. Honestly, I'm not close enough to the situation to know.

For all of those dreamers who thought that Ben should be let go or only get a $10 million dollar deal, perhaps Chicago will send those folks a wake up call as to the perceived value Ben has around the league.

Do I believe in max'ing Ben out? No. But as my previous work indicates, the options without Ben are not very pretty.

There is no free pass for letting Ben walk if there isn't a backup plan of some degree of quality. I'm talking about paying up to "X" amount because it's smart business, not due to loyalty.

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

There is no more loyalty involved in this. Unless Chicago doesn't offer Ben the max the Pistons are in deep trouble.

Best Case Scenario: Pistons offer a 9-10 million deal for 3-4 years, and the Bulls don't want to pay much more because he's 32 and is a liability on offense.

Worst Case Scenario: There are 2 worst cases. Either Chicago throws there money at Ben and Ben leaves, or Chicago throws there money at Ben. Instead of letting him go we match the offer. There won't be much money left, and CB has the option to opt out of his contract next season. Chauncey realizes he can't get much money from the Pistons so he leaves.

This has nothing to do with loyalty. If Ben wants to stay where he was succsesful he will. No updates on offers yet...:drama:

16. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

While the Bulls might be happy to accept screwing around with the Pistons' financial future, I think that would be a consolation prize. Like it or not, the Bulls will control the bidding. From their perspective, the best way to meddle with the Pistons' future is to steal Detroit's franchise player, no matter the cost, essentially flipping the balance of power in the Central Division in the process. They'd accept a Jon Koncak deal with Ben in Detroit, but they'd much rather take Ben outright and kill off the Pistons in one fell swoop.

17. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Word on Chicago radio is of a 5 year 75 million dollar offer.

If that is in fact their offer, we have to let him him walk, IMO.

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Are you sure?:frusty:

19. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Well, it's radio talk, so it's obviously not 100%. It could be made up to make a story for all I know. But that's what they're saying their "moles" hear.

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This is definantly not a good way to end the day:mad:. I hope it's not true:fingerscr.