Ben to meet with Bulls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jul 1, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

2. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

"I just thought we had a pretty good run there (with the Pistons) and I thought the offer would have been a bit better," he said. "I didn't think we had to really negotiate like that at this point. I just thought that initial offer wasn't altogether fair."

Well, Ben, you made noise about leaving and met with another other team. Sheed and Rip didn't do that, nor did they have to complain to the press.
  3. max

max All-Star

Yes I read that. I also found in interesting that the Bulls were pushed by the owner to consider Ben and that he was not really factoring into what Paxson was planning.

Not off to a good start at all. I can almost see Davison blowing his stack over this. Not so much what Ben thought of the offer but how he spouted off in the press about it. Kind of a slap in the face to the rest of the Pistons.

I thought this may have been a long drawn out process. Hopefully the Bulls are not really serious and if there is another team out there we can at least get something for him on a sign/trade.
  4. hack

Strange, this notion that Reinsdorf is pushing it. I'm sure our team will take it in stride, and that Ben's speaking from Tellem's script. But on a team that insists five good guys can beat a few stars, I dunno how anyone can be insulted at being the highest-paid player. There's wiggle room, though. I think he'll stay at a slightly higher wage.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

One other interesting note was that Cleveland, NY & Washington may be entering the picture...

Not sure what his impression of Washington is from playing there...
    Since these teams are only able to get Ben via S&T, we'd have to look at their rosters to see what matches (13M?)
    The Wiz can't offer Haywood cause he's a BYC player... but they can offer Etan Thomas, Ramos & Antonio Daniels.
  6. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

"I am just sitting here on the unemployment line, waiting," Wallace said.

Careful Ben. You're getting perilously close to the infamous Latrell Sprewell "I've got to feed my family" fiasco with this quote. LOL.:laugh:
  7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Yeah, the whole thing comes off badly.

Lesson One: shut up and let your big-name agent do the talking.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

9. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

this is somewhat similar to tays talks last season. he had that initial offer then the slight increase but tay didn't go to the press. i just hate it when players argue over millions. they bandy it around like monopoly money.
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Insulting or disappointing you have to look at...

Peja - $13 million a year
    Cassel - -$13 million a year
    Anthony - $15 million a year
    Nene - I forget - $10 million?

These guys ought to be making more than 4 time DPOY with a grudge?
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Good point dba. It's all relative to what the other guys are getting. Nene at 6 years and 60 million? And then there are other big guys in the same pay range like Samuel Dalembert and Tyson Chandler.

That's the insulting part of it.
  12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Sounds to me, like Mike Abdenour is up in the pistons attic pulling those boxed teals off the shelf.
  13. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

[​IMG]
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is my question... if the Pistons do a sign and trade with Ben going to Chicago in exchange for Tyson Chandler, how much worse are the Pistons going to be over a 4 year stretch?

I've watched a lot of Tyson here in Chicago and he is getting better each year. He never shoots jumpers, rebounds well, and blocks shots. He's obviously not as good as Ben yet, but is on the rise while Ben is on the decline. Tyson is also surprisingly intense, which many Pistons fans probably don't realize. He has a better FG% than BW. He also dunks better, which is something that really frustrates me with Ben.

I don't know how it would turn out, but I'm guessing that it would not be a terrible outcome. Maybe we could get another Bull included in the deal. Gordon/ Hinrich/ Nocioni are probably too pricey for this package, but maybe Duhon/ Deng/ or Songaila.
  15. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

i'd definitely be up for picking up deng. chandler and deng would be one of the best case scenarios if ben does leave.
  16. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

WORD....
  17. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

In some ways Chandler is about the closest replacement you might find for Ben, but there are reasons why the Bulls might pay to trade a guy who's five inches taller and a decade younger than Ben. He's inconsistent, picks up fouls like crazy and has some back issues. A better offensive than defensive rebounder, but he is indeed intense and has a history with Tay from their high school days.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

They can afford Ben and then trade Chandler for another solid talent.
    The only thing stopping this is Ben's mood and their future contracts
  19. hack

``there are reasons why the Bulls might pay to trade a guy who's five inches taller and a decade younger than Ben''

Yeah, that says enough to make you wonder. Either way, the Bulls look like they're trying to trade him elsewhere. It's either all a huge smokescreen or we're unlikely to get a sign-and-trade.
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If we gotta lose Ben, (heaven forbid) I am reluctantly in favor of sign and trade for Chandler & Deng or Chandler and Duhon. We got Ben under the same circumstances and look what fruits benefited from that deal:nod: Gordon would be great, but that will never happen,