Ben to meet with Bulls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jul 1, 2006.

1. tpaPistonFan

tpaPistonFan First Round Draft Pick

If Joe D and the Flipper honestly believe, that at the very least, we can go to the Eastern Conference finals for the next 2/3 years with Ben then I hope they resign him. If they think the run is over I hope they move on either with a S&T or just give the minutes to Amir and Jmax and see how they do. I really don't know what to expect with this team. I do know that regardless of what they do with Ben they must develop the bench and our youth. I think every fan on this board will die if Darko turns out being a 15/8 player or better especially if we don't resign Ben (considering that was the motive to trade Darko). The good news is the Magic drafted JJ out of Duke with the 11th pick. Same pick Cleveland drafted Langdon (the 3pt machine from Duke) with some time ago.. And we all know how he turned out.. Maybe with a little luck the draft pick will end up being a top 10.. Here is to DHoward getting injured for 20 + games along with Nelson.. :)
  2. max

max All-Star

Appraently Ben had a successfull trip afterall. Freep reports that the Bulls have made Ben an offer for 52 mil over 4 seasons that has topped the Piston offer of 48 mil over 4 seasons. Ben has responded by waiting to see if any other team is willing to top the 2 offers.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060703/SPORTS03/607030372/1051

Tashawn - I was thinking about that. S&T to get Chandler in place of Ben. This can also explain the casual attitude of Dumars in all this. Chandler in many ways represents a 7'1" version of Ben Wallace early in his career. When Ben was in Orlando he was only thought of as a Rebounding/Shot Blocker who had offensive trouble.

I had Chandler on my fantasy team. He had quit a good 2nd half last season with many double digit rebounding games in limited mins. He seems very much on the threashold of a breakout season which Dumars has a knack of finding.

Apparently the Bulls are willing to deal Chandler, especially if they bring in Ben. Chandler makes around 10 mil/season and is signed through 2010-11 so brining in Ben along with him would be commiting half the cap for 2 rebounding shot blockers who would be netting in a total of 10-20 PPG while stepping over each other for boards.

This is starting to make sence now. Ben for Chandler plus the Pistons have the cap to get Wells this season and re-sign Billups next. This is about the only thing that makes any sense.

Why in the heck would Dumars let Ben go and mainly be interested in Wells?

Also does Ben really want to be a Piston? It does not appear so. Hate to say it but his actions are seemingly not instilling much faith. And do we even want a guy back who would be disgruntled that he did not get more cash?
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Ben dicides on the Bulls, then we got to do the S & T for young Tyson. I was just hoping that his salary wasn't that high and we could steal another player off the Bulls roster. beng or Duhon. Still need that Bonzi deal to be made to improve the bench.

With Sixers interested, Dalembert and one would be nice S & T too. I am no expert on the CBA, so as I indicated last night, I am mostly talking warm bodies and will let the experts provide the $$$ amounts.

The big question is, with only 1 mill per year more, does Ben want to turn his back on the city that he brought the championship to and adores him to one where about time they are ready to win one, he might be to old?????
  4. max

max All-Star

I don't think returning to the Pistons is high on his priority list but it could just be my interpretation. I believe we have lost Ben due to his own ego propped up by his new agent. Ben's goal to me is to join the league elites paycheck wise.
  5. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree. This is purely speculation, but I believe Ben wants the RESPECT i.e. paycheck of an elite player. Remember Ron Artest is a DPOY like guy with an offensive game and he makes like 6 million a year. Also, look at Bowen's Salary. Its not to say Ben is not a lot better, but I have to try and convince myself his leaving is okay.
  6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I disagree wholeheartedly. If we lose Ben it will be due to the rest of the franchise (players on up) belief that we will have a chance to win it all every year if we just get more scorers.
  7. max

max All-Star

Perhaps I have been too hard on Ben. Initial offers could have similiarly been brushed off in the Prince/Sheed signings and we just never heard about them. But I don't think anyone is under any illusion that whoever we get in place of Ben will be a short team step-back in the best case scenerio.
  8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I agree with you but I would like to add that I think the Pistons org. realizes that the best of Ben Wallace's playing days are over and that signing a blank check doesn't help us win games in the future. I think the Pistons offer was fair considering that Ben did not have a good year. Ben's body is already starting to break down (see wrist and bone spurs) and his numbers are starting to decline not to mention his decreasing FT%. I rather sign Ben to a reasonable contract than have Joe open the check book and we end up with a Mutumbo making 18 million a season playing 10 minutes a game in 2 years giving you 5 boards and 1 block.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Damit, don't do that to us fence riders...
    Valuable?... no doubt...
    Irreplacable?... not sure bout that...
    Offensive liability?... uh huh....
    Heart of a lion strength of a beast?... sho nuff...
    Getting long in the tooth?... maybe...
    Worth near max $'s?... whew
    Time for some talented young blood?... ugh!
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Let's just rebuild. I say let's trade Ben in a 3 way for Corliss and Uncle Spliffy. Jon Barry is a free agent.

Rock the Palace like it's 2003 baby.
  11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Ben's numbers declined because of this crappy system Flip tried to input. Not only did he NEVER touch the ball on O (even to make passes), he spent the better part of 4 Qtrs helping out on everyone elses man because they all decided to wave the red cape anytime anyone drove at them.
  12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

:laugh: just had to say i found that amusing
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Are Mikki More or Zelly available?