Ben Wallace Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Feb 15, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

I was thinking about what Auroa and others wrote in some of the other Ben Wallace threads and maybe something like this is about due. The Resurgence was based on him and he was the face of the Pistons for 5 years. Fans came out to see him play. We would not have won our 3rd championship or even have gotten to the Finals without him.

Besides if we can cheer for Grant Hill for what he did back in the 90's then isn't Ben worth much more than that? He came here and in his 1st year brought tougness back to our frontcourt that we had not seen really since the Bill Laimbeer days.

I know the guy has slowed down and can't jump as high anymore but thats because he gave it his all when he was here playing through all kinds of injuries. He played through injuries that at times I thought he had every right not to but did it because we needed him. Never complained, just went out and did his job. We based the whole going to work thing on him. How many times did he lift the team up and motivate them in the playoffs?

Free Agency is a tough thing but its never about the fans. He has said on countless times on how much he loved us so it was not a slight on us. He got a better offer and saw a system that at the time seemed to be a better fit for him and that was a about it. We could have matched.

So thats about it. This is one fan thats not going to particiapate in the Ben Wallace bashing threads anymore.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Nice post Max.

I agree with you. I bashed him a bit myself, but I'm done. He wasn't perfect, but he did us real proud and gave us all he had to give.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Ben Wallace was just incredible. How can a guy who scores 5 points have such an impact on games. He was the original piece of the championship puzzle. He was the guy the other team did not have. He was so mobile that he could jam up an opposing offense almost on his own. Then Sheed came to stand next to him.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ben's getting fouled by Shaq there. Glad to know that he got him back with the purple nurple.
  6. buddahfan

7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I've never been too in to all the Ben Bashing. The dude did too much for hoops in Detroit to kick him to the curb like so many have.

Thanks Ben - & good luck!
    :cheers:
  8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Ben is cool and all, but we are seeing how Ben's supporting cast made him look extraordinary.

Then I find out that Ben is a third cousin of mine....Hopefully I will get to meet and greet him at our family reunion this summer.
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It's a two way street though.
  10. max

max All-Star

Figure in Bens last 2 years here he was the only Piston left from the 01-02 team which was his best year.
  11. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

12. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

13. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great post Max, you've say it loud for us. Ben just left when he had found that he was publicly insulted by head coach with s%%%s like 4 on 5 etc.. I've never bashed him, never, only appreciation, gratiftude, and thanks to him. Since Ben had left the Pistons took one season to heal but the defence has yet liked those gone days. And Chicago has nor to found the game plan to play him thus far. Good luck Ben.
  14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

At his age ben and other athletes know their strenghts and weaknesses, so I do not think that he was "insulted" when 4 on 5 was mentioned, b/c it was a fact. Annoying but true.

when somebody offers to you 15 mil per year, you do not reject it. Plain and simple. And please, do not start like "for pistons he would had played for less money". He had absolutely no reason to do this, I mean play here for less money.
  15. buddahfan

ECL just started televising the 2003 all star game in which Big Ben started.

:hoops:
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Ben wanted to play for a chance to win another ring, he could have accepted less money to play for the Pistons. That's a pretty good reason.
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

True..and enjoying your job has a value. Ben can't be enjoying his time in Chicago.
  18. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Delayed gratification has its merits.
  19. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Wow! After watching this and other related highlites that Ben was involved, is he all time Piston or franchise leader in the number of dunks and alley oops?

We miss ya, Ben!
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Cut it out. There is no room for traditional values in today's society!