Ben Wallace/Chicago Bulls '06/'07

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Oct 11, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Re: A Disgruntled Ben Wallace/What a Shame

EZB, don't forget to post to some of the positive threads!!!

Tim Thomas got a buyout and went to the WCF as a member of the Phoenix Suns, which got him another contract this summer with the LA Clippers.

The Bulls did what they had to do with Thomas. They bought him out, one would assume for a discount, and they freed the cap room to sign Wallace.

There is nothing to talk to Tim Thomas about when it comes to Ben Wallace, except maybe thank him for setting up the big pay day.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

His situation isn't so bad. They got in a tussle. Skiles is willful. Wallace is willful. I like Skiles for Wallace...you get it out, deal with it and move on to the next bit of drama. The real issue is Ben wallaces effectiveness declining faster than the Bulls expected it to. They also have tyrus thomas that they need to develop and likely a top pick coming from NY. if its possible to get Oden in the draft via that pick then the bulls are screwed.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Yes...and while he is at it he should OD on sleeping pills, or leave his car running with the garage closed, or simply retire and find a cliff to jump off so the rest of us can finally admit he never deserved to be in the NBA in the first place and should have been working at a car wash his whole life to atone for his CBA skill level and toddler-like attitude.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I agree with you easy on most points (first time for everything, eh?), except I DO like Scott Skiles.
  5. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I can't feel too sorry for a person making 60 million for playing basketball for four years. I would be really happy to have that kind of cash laid on me. But I am already old and I realize that you cannot stop father time and everyone is has to deal with growing old gracefully. Hate me if you want, but I am sitting here in my Ben Wallace t-shirt and am looking at my Ben Wallace bobblehead and I wish Ben the best. But only Ben can make himself happy at this point.
  6. max

max All-Star

:rant2:

Headbandgate has ran its course for me. But I will be back to throw another brick the next time something bad happends over there.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's now become a domino effect with Ben, everyone claiming he had issues with his last 4 coaches (Carlisle ~ Skiles).

I don't recall Ben ever having a (public at least) problem with LB. Nothing.

It's like the Detroit media dropped this, without any details, and now it has become a part of Ben's bio.

So someone, if I am wrong, please correct me. Do you ever remember Ben having a public problem with LB, and if so, what was it. This is for the PF history books.
  8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Never. The Detroit media is full of crap and getting on my nerves.
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

Quite the opposite. My memory tells me that Ben was THE model teamate. Family guy who liked remote control cars, hardworker that would lift weights AFTER games, good friend who was always available for his team, Ben was the local working man's hero.

Carlisle was the guy with the problems, remember? He just couldn't get along with people at all, and that's why the Pistons had to regretfully fire him. Remember?

Larry was cranky and senile, and couldn't get along with any of his players.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Re: Big Ben's Debut

Tyson Chandler is a rebounding machine this year. Looks like the Bulls would have been better off keeping their up and coming Ben rather than getting the real thing.

TC is #2 in rebounds per game this season, #9 in offensive boards, and #29 in blocks. And he's only 23 years old.

Which brings up another point...

The top 4 rebounders in the NBA are 20, 23, 23, and 26 years old (Dwight Howard, Tyson Chandler, Chris Bosh, and Carlos Boozer).
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good points. Ben is blocking more shots than Chandler, but maybe not millions more. Keeping TC and making a serious run at Garnett....

You've got to assume that the Bulls felt they were going to get a lot more from Ben than his floor stats - some locker-room leadership, some on-court leadership, a lot of toughness - just a lot of example for the younger players. No doubt Ben can provide that, but he hasn't been on the right page lately.
  12. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

But the Bulls has been on a winning streak ever since the Headbangate issue....
  13. MotownPride

Funny how these things work out, huh. :)
  14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Interesting. Did he do the headband thing to fire up the team? We've speculated on that kind of thing before..when he was a Piston.

"But so implacable was Wallace's attitude toward this wardrobe policy, you wonder whether he had an ulterior motive. Perhaps his dander was up after posting zero points and zero rebounds the night before in Philly? Nah. Or try this: Maybe it was a contrivance, a misdirection move, if you will. He had been brought aboard to be the leader for a team of children, and didn't this diva act give the media mob and chat show gasbags something else to talk about instead of 3-9?"

Who knew Wallace's headband would ignite the Bulls? - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
  15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That article is kind of dumb. It fails to mention that the Bulls finally started playing some home games; their massive road trip was brutal, but now they've settled back in at the United Center. After they finish annihilating Philly tonight, they'll be back to .500, 9-9, with 6 straight wins, and five straight games still left to play in their long home stand (though they won 2 of 3 on the road as that long trip ended...well, OK, the win in the headband game was at the Knicks, which is like a home game for whomever the Knicks are playing :laugh:).

The Bulls have had a lot of easy opponents of late, but, impressively, they've been utterly destroying all of them. I think finally getting back home has been a lot more of a boost to them than any potential rallying effect of HeadbandGate.
  16. max

max All-Star

I do not recall any issues with either Brown or Carlisle. They say he did with Carlisle, at the time I do not recall anything. Ben got famous under Carlisle.

Bulls hit .500 tonight 9-9
  17. MotownPride

That's true max.

Remember Carlisle calling the league iand sending video n Ben's behalf for the DPOY award. Doesn't sound like a situation where Ben had a beef with the coach. These media people lose more ane more credibility with me everytime I read their columns.
  18. max

max All-Star

Yes he did. Every year he looked out for his players.
  19. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

We played with some sub par teams too during our 8 games win streak but we still did not blow out any of them. What was our biggest winning margin during these 8 games?
  20. MotownPride

The Bulls surge doesn't surprise me. Effort goes so far in this league and Ben Wallace can write a novel on the concept.