Ben Wallace could be retiring

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, May 31, 2009.

1. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

2. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

I find the 'deserving' of a buyout statement interesting. I don't think he 'deserves' a buyout from either the Bulls or Cavs...
  3. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

I would add a couple things to Roscoe's great post:

Joe asked Ben if he would do a sign and trade, with Chandler in mind, but Chicago already had plans to trade him to New Orleans for PJ Brown's expiring contract. Ultimately, Chicago saw this as an opportunity to upgrade its front court AND deplete ours, and had the cap space to do so, and so they did.

The details according to Ben, as stated the link below, were $11.5mil per year from Joe versus $15mil per from Pax, both over 4 years.

Ben Wallace leaving Pistons for Bulls - NBA- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Now, I have heard all sorts of talk that Flip ran him out of town etc. etc. (hey, he wasn't too happy with LB's maniacal practice schedule either). However, one must remember how poor Ben was growing up (no heating or electricity), AND take into account the words of the late Coach Daly, who grew up during the Great Depression. He said that when you grow up poor, you ALWAYS feel like the only money you have is the $50 bill in your back pocket. In other words, there is NO WAY Ben walks away from $14 million. This take is completely consistent with Roscoe's observation of the Ben's modest spending on his home and hobbies.

What is disturbing is Roscoe's claim that Joe knew he was not prepared to re-up Ben AND Billups. I never thought this a possibility. If that was the case, he should have started the extreme make over then and there, instead of another two years of Flip Saunders and Sheed playing the 5. Even BEFORE Ben had left, it was clear that there were simply (to quote Coach Daly again) "No more Big Games". Joe should have known this and made plans in advance.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

OK..11.5 and 15 million is a significant amount of money but still he left for the cash.

He could have probably had a much more productive end to his career if he stayed in Detroit but he decided not to. He embarrassed himself in Chicago and became a shell of his former self in Cleveland.

One mental snapshot I have of Ben is when he came back to the Palace as a Bull and he was getting mercilessly harrassed by some fans. Ben's reaction? Holding up his thumb and forefinger and rubbing them together..."I got the money baby"!

Yeah Ben, you got the money but what a sad end to your career.
  5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

the malcontent strikes again. glad he's gone and don't come back to detroit. this guy hasn't been the same since lb left. he quit on the pistons midseason and i will never ever forgive him for that.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The thinking coming out of Cleveland is that they will explore trades for Ben's expiring deal (then he'll likely get a buyout).
    I'm concerened about this investment group from China that will become minor owners of the Cavs... with their deep pockets (multi-billion) the Cavs can trade expiring deals for talent, THEN retain the talent without fear of the tax.
    Lebron + big salary talent = Pain for the Pistons and their fans.
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Could this be the precursor to Yao joining LeBron in 2010? The King riding the Dragon to a dynasty?
    :stirthepot:
  8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

The Dragon has its own problems. The last thing beyond their grasp (which means that integration of selective isolation components of a different culture will render them clueless) is trying to understand and positively construct the direction of the schizophrenic ethnic culture of the US.
  9. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I watched that and couldn't understand what i was supposed to see at 2:19 :pound: