Ben Wallace next on Joe's List?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Krowe, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Krowe

Krowe First Round Draft Pick

Chad Ford recently twittered that "Nesterovic is an option for the Pistons last big man. But they hope Big Ben agrees first. Both would be at vet minimum" So soon we can have Big Ben, Rasho, or both...I smell a trade brewing. (Rip+Jason?)

2. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

We can use a veteran big man to fill our front line..Nesterovic is a legit 7 footer and would add a dimension to our frontline that we don't have..

He can keep opposing centers from pounding away down low..At 7' and 250 lbs. he has more height and bulk than most of our our guys, which comes handy when were playing bigger teams and Kwame is either in foul trouble or having a bad game.

His jump shot is not automatic but it's good enough that other teams respect his shot.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think anyone has run a play for Radislav. He has a serviceable offensive game. His main problem is that he is very robotic and not very athletic. He's not a bad player. Certainly an average center.

4. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

i read that our options are as follows...1) rasho, 2) gooden, 3) ben.

whatever.

5. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

How about something to actually be excited about? Or are we done with those moves? (Not that I don't like the Wilcox move, albeit I'm not thrilled with the guy)

Like I said during the Cav's final playoff game. Ben needs to retire and it's pathetic watching him play nowadays. Counting on him to teach CV, Wilcox, and Kwame to play team defense will be like counting on Curry to lead NBA players just because Curry/Ben are hard workers. Truthfully, Sheed would be a better coach because he actually understands the game and what to do.

Ben Wallace is useless, and I don't want the lasting image of Ben Wallace to be a corpse. Retire.

6. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

You would think would know when he has no gas left. He said he would retire if he didn't feel like he could contribute. I'm with the group who says let him retire in Detroit. Give him his 3 back!!!

7. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Haha you can't compare Curry and Ben man. Ben won DPOY what 3 or 4 times? Unlike Curry, Ben has a championship... and to play the kind of defense he did I bet he understands the game alot more then others. Ben was the leader and anchor of a championship team. Curry was always a scrub. If we could bring Ben in for the veterans minimum..I say do it.

8. Twenty2Prince

Twenty2Prince Second Round Draft Pick

Eh why not, we all think Wilcox looks like Big Ben in his prime, why not have them together so maybe Wilcox will learn a thing or two

9. max

max All-Star

Exactly, for the vets min is more of a question of why not. As long as they are willing to cut the extra check each month then it's really a no risk move.

10. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

My sentiments exactly. Maybe some of Ben's defensive knowledge can rub off on Wilcox.

11. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

If Joe D signs Ben now for the vet minimum he will be a true genius for having just saved the team $15mil! Man, this guy is constantly thinking 8 or 9 moves ahead! When does chauncey expire? Sheed is a FA in 2011, right? I smell some more Wallace X2 in the works...

12. The Palace Artest

Not the point. I'm saying you can't teach effort and drive to our young players. Effort and drive was what made Ben's all-star career, and was the only reason why Curry even made it to the NBA.

How would Ben be a leader? He can't contribute in any way on the floor other than fouling, but I guess he could be a Mark Madsen-like cheerleader.

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It was only pathetic because he was making more money then Lebron James.

By the way, how long is it going to take for that Zoloft stuff to kick in?

14. The Palace Artest

It doesn't. Only get the adverse effects :yellowprison:

15. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I agree that you can't teach effort and drive to anybody. I'm not saying Ben is going to be the leader of this team, but I believe he will be influential in some way. I'm not saying he plays 30 even 20 minutes a game. He would be the 4th or 5th big off the bench. If JoeD can get him for the vets minimum and we do indeed need another big then I believe this move is a no brainer. Just to clarify...I wouldn't pay more then the vets minimum to get him.

16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I know Ben has had a rough go of it since leaving the 'D' but I think wearing Piston gear and getting his aging body "Arnied" just might re-juvinate the Fro.

Pistons could use a defensive big and Ben is a no-risk proposition. :afro:

17. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

The media smear job of Big Ben in this city continues. I was listening to Terry Foster on local sports talk a few days ago when Ben first accepted his buy-out, and one of the topics was bringing Ben back for the vet's min. Most fans calling in were in favor of doing it for the same reasons mentioned here (and I agree). In response Terry dropped this little gem (paraphrasing here, not quoting him):

"Would Ben become upset after a while of not playing the minutes that he feels he deserves, or being on a losing team that was rebuilding, and become a distraction? We know his history..." etc.

I laughed before turning the channel (almost called in but didn't want to waste several cell-phone minutes on these clowns). Why would any NBA vet sign a contract without knowing and being OK with where the team stood and what his roll would be?

The saga continues with the media smear campaign.

18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Plus, it'd be fun to see him defend Shaq 1:1 again.

19. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

Ben always saw himself as a super-star instead of what he was: an all-world defensive player that stunk on the offensive end. Ben was a prickley-pear with every coach the Pistons had because they would never run enough of the offense through him. That was his history. Is it really unreasonable to ask can a leopord change his spots? I think it is a fair question to ask. And you better believe that Joe D is asking it.

20. drmcgraw2000

drmcgraw2000 First Round Draft Pick

Agreed.. Plus it is completely a value pick up, pretty much everything Joe has done this summer (with the exception of Ben Gordon) was a value pick up.

I still fear our team lacks identity, but maybe a mid year trade can resolve that. I am ok with baby steps back to the finals.