Ben Wallace next on Joe's List?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Krowe, Jul 19, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He would basically be free (relative to any other minimum veteran contract)

So as long as his attitude is good, and even if we have to wheel him to the sideline in Dwyane Wade's wheelchair, he's an asset.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Yes. And we have Arnie.
  3. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Rasho Nesterovic signed with Toronto,ben wallace option is the only cheaper we could have.

We need ben because we only have one real center,Kwame,Wilcox may be a second center(i don´t see he too much) but in 82 games with 48 minutes one third center would be good. The swedish Thomas Jerebko can play nba limited minutes in pistons like that?
  4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Jerebko is not C, at best he'll get some PF minutes in garbage time. And there will be many GT minutes for rookies, mark my word.
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Pistons are looking at Jerebko as 4/5, so we'll see what they do. He has size to play inside.
  6. max

max All-Star

I was reading in Piston Pieces on how it would be good if Ben Wallace apologized for leaving the Pistons if he did in fact return. Do you think he needs to? No one would have asked Grant Hill to if he had came back and he did not even leave for a better offer like Ben did.

Lot of fans are still upset so it would be a good PR move but it does not seem fair to me that he would have to. Guess it would be up to him. Would make the transition easier if he had at least acknowledged that he still loves the Pistons or something.
  7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think he's got anything apologize for. Well, playing in Cleveland was pretty tacky, but that wasn't his choice.
  8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I agree.

That apology nonsense is pretty burro-esque, to put it kindly.
  9. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

If ben returns what would be the first detroit area business to sign him to an endorsement contract? Don't the metro detroit area Ford dealers need a new pitch man? Maybe he could "go to work" slashing prices at Meijers, and you can see him swatting the price tag guns across the store.
  10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I'm afraid "goin' to work" slogan would be the biggest mockery in Detroit now...
  11. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

Since Flip is gone, and the press didn't really slam him on his way out too bad (not that I read anyway... certainly nothing like Larry), I think you will just see a bunch of articles about how Flip drove Ben out and now that he is fired, Ben can make his triumphant return home.
  12. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

Probably something more like "going to school" at this point with all of our young guys. I think we'll probably see much more work out of these guys than the last season when the slogan was still alive though.
  13. max

max All-Star

To reset this it was an opinion by Dan Cash - WKZONews.com in Piston Pieces section.

As a piece of the deal, you hand Ben a little more money, maybe $400,000 than you normally would, maybe give him a player option for a 2nd season with the Pistons...if he agrees to publicly apologize for leaving the team that built the foundation of his career.

http://www.pistonsforum.com/detroit...ion/10348-todays-piston-pieces-7-25-09-a.html

From listening to talk radio over here a lot fans still blame Ben for breaking up the Pistons as a championship force. They have not been analyzing the complexities involved like we have so their natural reaction is to look for the guy who left and pin it all on him.

I just would not want to see any kind of static if he did come back.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Flip didn't drive Ben out. Ben rode out..In a Brink's truck. Heading for Chicagoland.

Ben doesn't have to apologize for what he did. Most could see that it was time for him to go for the money. Money that Joe rightfully didn't think he was worth.
  15. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I never once heard Ben bad mouth the fans... that would be the only thing that he could have done that really would have called for him to have to say he was sorry.

Its a business and players have to look out for whats best for them... he left... And the teams have to look out for whats best for themselves... Joe didn't break the bank trying to resign an aging Core player.

If he comes back at the right price I'll welcome him back with open arms and hope some of his old self will rub off on the new breed of players were going forward with.

I thought when he left and still think today that at some point in the future he will have his number retired by the pistons, he changed our culture as much as Joe did from Teal back to the Red white and blue.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ben did us a huge favor in hindsight. He should tell Detroit "you're welcome."

It worked out for him and the Pistons. The Bulls and Cavs... not so much. So, all's well.

Now we have the chance to get a fan favorite and a smart defensive big man off the bench.
  17. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Agreed. I don't see why he would have to apologize either. I'm glad we didn't get stuck with that huge contract and small amount of production.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Actually, that's not completely true. While in hindsight Joe looks smart for not re-signing Ben, Ben played his ass off here, underpaid, and earned that big payday. He was playing for the league average salary while racking up 4 DPOY and being the team's only All-Star. You could say, he was our only superstar prior to Sheed coming to town, and yet he was paid like a 6th man.

And, Joe did move salaries around, claiming to want to re-sign Ben. He never did. He moved Darko and Arroyo for Cato's expiring deal, for Ben Money. He traded Corliss for Derrick Coleman, for Ben Money.

If Ben had said on July 1st 2006, "Joe, Chicago is offering me a lot of money, $15 million per year, and they are front loading it to make life tough for you, but I want to be a Piston for life, so make me your best offer", Joe would have been completely screwed.

So I don't know why Pistons fans harbour any animosity towards a guy who did everything we expect of a Detroiter, and then when his opportunity came, he took it, and by taking it, probably saved the franchise from crashing out of the playoffs by trading Billups much earlier.

There is so much more context to this story that I think the majority of fans don't know or have forgotten about. Ben intentionally did not ask for an extension early, because he wanted to fulfill the deal Joe gave him. Joe knew this, and had said that if Ben wanted to be extended earlier, he would have done it. But that's not who Ben is, and that is not how Ben is.

I think it is funny now that the Pistons are kissing Ben's butt because he would really help them with ticket sales this offseason, and the league is going to pick up most of the tab if he signs. And yet fans continue to question Ben's character when he gave more to this city pound for pound than maybe any other athlete in the last decade not named Steve Yzerman.
  19. raw36

raw36 First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

big ben has been compensated by dumars for his efforts in Detroit (using bulls, cavs & suns' money). what a story it would be if he could retire a piston.

some fans are pretty concerned on how the defense would look like this coming season, but i agree with most posters that a ben signing could really help in that area... think about sheed, nobody really considered him a great defender in portland (dale davis/brian grant had that rep), but pair him with big ben... what a level of force!

we can only hope he would also have the same effect on wilcox, villanueva, kwame and the rest... and who knows, maybe even tayshaun and rip :)
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

mark my words.................

If Ben comes back, Pistons will win Central Division. Every time a person does a comebackhome routine(ala Alonzo mourning) the spirits rise!

And if he comes back, Like my....never mind.