Ben Wallace's future?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Sep 18, 2005.

1. max

max All-Star

Whats up with Bens contract? Its set to expire after this season. Dumars used to talk about an early extension for Ben last year and now no mention of it.

Just assuming Ben will resign for 05-06 or is there a question of how much longer the then 32yr old Wallace will be able to go? And if you want to give a long-term max deal to him at that age?
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I remember in an interview that Joe D. said he'd try keeping Ben a Piston till the end of his career.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I remember in several interviews JD said Larry Brown would be the coach. I think he also said he was not trying to terade Stackhouse.

What Joe says, and what Joe does are not always the same thing. Just because we like him doesn't mean he is above spreading around some BS.
  4. max

max All-Star

Yes

You could be right. It could be nothing. Just seems strange how Joe was talking a possible extension for the past 2 summers before this one and now he seems content on letting Bens contract expire. Lots of desperate teams out there so Ben will get a decent offer from some team.
  5. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Ya wonder with this kid Max coming in, he has been compared to Ben.Possible heir to the throne depending on how Ben plays this year or how Max develops??Another thing do you think Ben would go for the jing$ jing$ or stay with us for less?I think he'd stay here who knows.
  6. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I would like to see Ben stay, but

I think Ben will stay at a lower figure than a max deal because by the end of the coming season, it will be pretty well known that he will be coming off the bench behind DMC. That would be great to have someone of Ben's capabilities filling in the 5 or sharing the 4 with Dice or Sheed. I think either Dice or Sheed will be available after this season, and I believe it has been said that Dice has a NT clause.

I just do not see JMAX being Ben's replacement because Ben has beaten all odds by being able to play the 5 as well as he has, and I do not believe that JMAXX will fill that role for the future. I believe Ben will stay to come off the bench to continue to get a super opportunity to keep getting "Blings".
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Why do you guys think Ben is done. He probably has 9-10 years left in him. Karl Malone lasted till he was 41, and he doesn't work half as hard as Ben does. Is it because his boards are down because last time I checked we have better players than we did 4-5 years ago. I'm also sure Joe will extend Ben's contract.
  8. roscoe36

Wow, that's a pretty big leap. Ben'll probably be our All-Star again this year, and you see him going to the bench. LMAO.

Darko's looked good in Eurobasket2005, but that's an optimistic (to be kind) view to have him taking Ben's job before DMC has played at a high level in the NBA yet...

Don't get me wrong, DMC could take his job by year's end. But to call it before the first tip and say it's "pretty well known"? That's a stretch. This is the same kid who hasn't even played 15 MPG in the NBA yet...
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is Ben the Pistons ' only All Star

Micro we have to hope that someone other than Ben will step up and lead the team. I am all for a team concept as it has gotten the Pistons to the finals two years running, but if Ben is our only all-star again then our so called wanabe all-stars (Rip & CB) have not stepped up to the plate and showed that they are bona-fied stars on this team.

Ben stepped up in game 5 of the 2004 finals, but he was just an ordinary soldier in both the 2005 finals and conference finals. We didn't have that Duncan type player to throw at them who could do it all, maybe because most of our guys were too un-selfish.:playball:
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Maybe they're waiting for another year because other teams will view him as a year older and may be less inclined to extend a long term contract.
    I'd like to see something around a 4 year deal (instead of the 6 we can give him)... he'll be 36 then... and we could pick him up cheaper at that age.
    Ben makes more from endorsements than his contract.
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm telling you guys if our starters, and maybe even McDyess went to crapp teams they would become "superstars" because they would have the ball in their hands most of the time, but since they're all together they won't be scoring 30 points every night like "All Stars". To me that's not what an All Star is, to me an All Star is someone who steps up when they need to. Wait a minute isn't that the Pistons starting lineup?
  12. roscoe36

Dice and Sheed were superstars and All-Stars before they came to Detroit.
  13. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

Easier Said Then Done...

One thing you have to remember is that the All Star Game is based on fans vote and the need for entertainment. CB and RH are good, but in a "guard" heavy East, you have to be considered great (or score a lot of points). The 1 goes to: AI and Kidd and the 2 goes to: Wade and Redd. I would love to see one if not both go, but I don't see the votes.

As far as Ben getting old and coming off the bench, it may not happen for a while. Joe is going to keep Ben unless Ben okays a trade and Joe get someone like Garnett in return. Don't be surprised to see a trade mid season to clear up money for the resign. Besides, we now have a Ben Wallace playing his contract year (motavation?)
  14. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

rip and cb were not all stars because of the positions they play. i can understand you saying rip didn't step up because his post season wasn't the best. but chauncey stepped up big time. he carried us the whole san antonio series. him and dice were the only ones that came to play every game. chauncey will be an all star this year. he's flew under the radar for long enough.

ben to me seemed to lose a step last year. that would make me hesitate to give him a long term deaal. but ben has been underpaid for years and joe should reward him with a respectable contract. either high paid and short term or low paid and long term. i would like ben to retire as a piston but i wouldn't endanger our future trying to lock ben up. i fear he's on the downside of his career.
  15. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I agree Jay

and that is why I love the job that Dumars has done. He has managed to pick up hungry young players at fairly "bargain" prices. How many teams would love to have Billups as the starting PG at 6 million per year ? As far as re-signing Ben, I just can't see "breaking the bank" to do it. I know he is the heart and soul of the Pistons but what I love about Joe is that even without Ben we have some guys that COULD fill his shoes. I'm not saying that DARKO, D. DAVIS or J-MAX could right now, but those guys could all buy time at that position. Ben gives the Pistons so much defensively and so many extra posessions with his offensive rebounding, but we also have young guys waiting in the wings (Amir Johnson, Darko, J-Max) who have some potential to at least be "adequate" replacements. If the young guys can't hack it, Joe brought in Dale Davis who can play for 1-2 solid years. We also have McDyess, so I'm not too worried about re-signing Ben.

Let me make one point very clear:

I really want to keep Ben around until he is ready to retire, BUT I just don't think a MAX contract that could cripple the team for years to come is worth it. I love Ben's contributions and want him to remain a Piston, but only at the right price. (somewhere around what Sheed got paid).
  16. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Micro

Sorry, I did not use enough words to convey my true meaning. I meant that by the end of this next season, we will see that trend will be that Ben would be coming off the bench behind DMC in the near future.

I did not mean to give the impression that he would be doing it by then. I don't see Ben having another all-star year but I don't see any drop off in his production, either.

Ben has tons of my respect but I still would not see him as being an allstar in a conference of good centers due to his lack of offense and his deplorable free throw shooting.

I just think tht by the end of this next season, we will all see that DMC is going to be our 5 for the foreseeable future and Ben will be content to stay and have additional chances for rings and to continue to teach and play with his pupil, DMC
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

All I know is Ben shows up in big games... while Sheed was finishing out the finals with 5 fouls each of his last 3 games and only 3 total rebs for the last two... Ben was putting up double doubles for 4 of the last 5 games.

Sheed has done plenty for the team... but Ben brings the money home.

Ben should get at least what Sheed got.
    Maybe we can give him a front loaded contract.
  18. max

max All-Star

Choices

I would definelty take Ben over Sheed. No doubt there. But Sheed is already locked up and Tay is going to get 8-10mil/season. Then Billups is going to want more cash when he is up 2 years from now.

And if Darko actually works out then he will get some ridiculas offer when he is up 2 years from now.

Dumars system of having a bunch of solid guys making 4-6mil/yr is starting to unravel. And I wonder how much Davison is willing to pay? Is he willing to take on a Nicks type payroll to keep all of our guys?

Just the fact that Bens contract was talked about last summer and has not been mentioned yet this summer makes me wonder? Or maybe its just the usual bad local reporting.
  19. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Davidson's Purse Strings

I posted in the detforum about how the pistons have never paid out a max contract. Now I am not 100% on lets say Joe or zekes contracts but team cap wasmot really an issue unless part of trading away vinnie and Rodman was part of that. But I am sure that since max deals started getting handed out like candy on Halloween the pistons have not been a team that has done it. The closest the team has come was the sign and trade of Grant Hill. The team traded stack partly due to him falling off in the playoffs when we lost to Boston but mainly it was a contract year and he wanted the big bucks we traded Corliss because his contract was about to balloon to big bucks and he wasn’t even starting anymore. Rasheed has a big contract but we desperately wanted to keep him so Joe made a high offer 1 that sheed would take since he just won a championship here and the team and city love him. The fact is we could lose billups and Ben unless they want to stay for less $$$$ or the pistons go into a new world of luxury tax. do I think that the pistons are committed to winning yes but I also think it has to fit the right price tag, we won a championship with bargin price players so why pay the big bucks anytime soon. I love Ben and I hope he never leaves but if it is a choice of winning another title or over paying a player who busted his butt but cant anymore im leaning towards a title. The fact that we retired Joe and zeke is awesome we drafted them and they were ours. They never left and then came back for that tear jerking press conference my heart was always with the pistons deal. So the pistons are loyal but how loyal will they be in the future I think it is all about the Benjamin’s
  20. roscoe36

abe you make a lot of good points, but a couple of things stick out. Sheed actually took a pay cut from his expiring deal to re-sign in Detroit. There was no raise for helping to bring in a championship. IF more teams had money to spend in FA, he would have been made a bigger offer.

Corliss' deal includes standard raises. It's not really ballooning provided that he maintains 6th man of the year production which was not possible with the emergence of Tayshaun and arrival of Sheed.

The Pistons are cheap. I'm not a fan of it, but they do run a tight business.